Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Reliability of the 350z

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 06:37 AM
mode101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Reliability of the 350z

I have a 04 touring roadster 6 speed I bought about 3 weeks ago. I started looking at Z forums AFTER I bought the car. I have about 2000 miles on it now, and I have to say I am scared $hitless when I read all these posts about the problems you guys are having. The tranny, and basically every other part of the car having a problem. I mean c'mon, with 3 and 4 trannys being replaced? That’s not Japan quality car that’s a POS.

My car is not having the serious problems some of you have had (it does only have 2k miles on it though) but I have had the dash rattles from the security light, the fuel filler door not wanting to open, the car only filling up with half tank of gas, etc. I guess I am glad now I bought the 100k mile extended warranty.

I traded a ‘01 Mustang GT 'vert for the 350z. The mustang I owned had zero problems, loved that car; it had 43k miles on it. I bought the Z because of how great it looks, and how mechanically superior Japanese cars are supposed to be (yea right). By the way, that was the 3rd mustang I have owned, 1st I had when I was 16 (put 120k miles on it no problems), 2nd was T-boned by a guy who ran a red light, and the last one I just traded. All were great cars. I have also owned 3 Ford Explorers and those were all great trucks, my wife currently drives an 03.

Sorry for the rant, I guess I am just feeling buyers’ remorse. I wish I would have either kept my Mustang, or spent the same amount of money for the Z on this sweet 03 convertible Corvette at my local Chevy shop.

I think people just have it in their head, and they assume that Japanese cars are so much better. From what I have read this is not the case.

Last edited by mode101; 02-15-2004 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:42 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03 350Z is very reliable. Have over 14k miles. Just minor adjustments(tighten axle nuts,tsb on bose). So far its damn reliable! I guess because I got the later model(vin#in the 3k..)
BTW I had a 00 Pont Grd Prx GT with 20k. Sometimes stalls when making a sharp slow turn,losing coolant with no leaks. I dont think those are minor problems.
Recently I saw a comparison between the Grnd Prixs and Maximas. Which are in the same category. Maximas have excellent reliabilty unlike the Grnd Prixs which have average reliabilty. Goes to show Japanese cars are more reliable.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:27 PM
shimz350z

Default Re: Reliability of the 350z

I don't think you be scared shitless at all. Remember that's what forums are for...it's easier to post a problem because of the urgency then to share about the enjoyment of the car because of a lack of urgency.

my car's been great...i had your minor glitches like you on the gas 1/2 way...now it loves to be filled with gas-actually gulps too much.
-I have no problems with the fuel door possibly because I have a habit of pushing the release button twice

-i have a slight sound of air leaking on my drivers side...but it's not a big deal...i'll take it to the dealer when i feel confident enough that THEY will know what to do.

-100,000 mile extended warranty I HAVE NO FEAR heh heh heh.

give it time...you'll love it....and personally it gets faster as the mileage keeps going higher.

NO REGRETS of the purchase(PERIOD)

Originally posted by mode101
I have a 04 touring roadster 6 speed I bought about 3 weeks ago. I started looking at Z forums AFTER I bought the car. I have about 2000 miles on it now, and I have to say I am scared $hitless when I read all these posts about the problems you guys are having. The tranny, and basically every other part of the car having a problem. I mean c'mon, with 3 and 4 trannys being replaced? That’s not Japan quality car that’s a POS.

My car is not having the serious problems some of you have had (it does only have 2k miles on it though) but I have had the dash rattles from the security light, the fuel filler door not wanting to open, the car only filling up with half tank of gas, etc. I guess I am glad now I bought the 100k mile extended warranty.

I traded a ‘01 Mustang GT 'vert for the 350z. The mustang I owned had zero problems, loved that car; it had 43k miles on it. I bought the Z because of how great it looks, and how mechanically superior Japanese cars are supposed to be (yea right). By the way, that was the 3rd mustang I have owned, 1st I had when I was 16 (put 120k miles on it no problems), 2nd was T-boned by a guy who ran a red light, and the last one I just traded. All were great cars. I have also owned 3 Ford Explorers and those were all great trucks, my wife currently drives an 03.

Sorry for the rant, I guess I am just feeling buyers’ remorse. I wish I would have either kept my Mustang, or spent the same amount of money for the Z on this sweet 03 convertible Corvette at my local Chevy shop.

I think people just have it in their head, and they assume that Japanese cars are so much better. From what I have read this is not the case.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:45 PM
n8vz

9K miles on my 2003 350Z Track, only problem is loud tire noise. It doesn't look like it is cupping, but the tread is wearing out rather quickly.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Reliability of the 350z

Originally posted by mode101

I think your later built car will be much more reliable and you won't have as many problems w/yours. I have an early build, VIN#0001434 and all but one of my gremlins have been exorsized. The rattles are gone, the tires are OK and the 5AT has been very reliable. I hate the ride and I changed tires and will be adding Koni shocks when they are out.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:22 PM
DanielW
Banned

Japanese cars are deffinitley superior to american cars. I love mustangs too but they can't hold a candle to japanese cars. For reliability its all about toyota and lexus though.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:05 PM
bofa

Dont be scared sh!tless until you actually start having problems. It's easy to find the "issues" in these forums because most dont post about "another nice day driving the Z". There have been some issues but many have had no issues too... just like almost every other car. Enjoy the purchase. Despite my challenges, I have no regrets over getting this car.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:14 PM
garyovich

uhm, did you guys notice the dates from this thread...? feb 04
Old 11-26-2006, 10:09 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Keyriste sakes. February 2004. Who the hell brought this back from the dead?
Old 11-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Abishop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very solid car!
Old 11-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Adibese

Lol... so how's it treating ya? Ahh I checked his threads, and it appears there are too many rattles and such for him. He wishes he had his Mustang again.

It's funny, but rattles, squeeks and a stiff ride make me happy. Actually, I find the Z too quiet. When I get to the States I'll be getting a Lotus.

Last edited by Adibese; 11-26-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 AM
bofa

Haha... doh..
Old 11-27-2006, 10:53 AM
jcrdr

Originally Posted by mode101

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline...akes_a_be.html
Old 11-28-2006, 11:20 PM
aren21

My 06 has oil consumption, a sticky clutch, and a whining rear end, and only 14k miles. Are the probelms accecptable? Of course not, but I dont regret getting the car, I just want to get the problems fixed. I wouldnt say its an unreliable car. My friend has an 04, and it has NONE of the problems that mine does. Just like any other car, some have problems and some dont.