Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2003 Engine Tick

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 02:44 PM
mxrcdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Engine Tick

10/12/17: It ended up being a rod knock on cylinder 2. I'm guessing that I didn't hear noise without fuel flow because it needed the rpm at idle combined with combustion pressures to gain enough momentum to be audible. I'm sure the moment the noise progressed to an actual knock was when I would have been able to tell using normal inspection methods.

I've been trying to diagnose this engine tick and am looking for ideas on what to check. The car is a 2003 with 186k miles and I purchased it with the issue to try to fix it and get more hands on experience with engine internals.

What I have so far:
  • The tick is present from startup onwards. It used to go away at idle once it got warm, but it is now constant. It does not get louder with RPM, but it does increase in frequency with RPM.
  • Initially believed it was ticking due to out of spec lash. Found some buckets were difficult to remove and believed they were sticking. Ended up replacing one bucket on the passenger side since the original was warped, but a new one went in freely. The valvetrain now operates freely and is still in spec.
  • Timing chain guide is the updated design.
  • Oil pressure seems fine. I barely let the engine get warm since the fan isn't hooked up (fixing the POs wiring).
  • Highly doubt it is a rod knock, due to the tone.
  • No issues idling or starting.
  • Clutch and gear engagement makes no difference.
  • Leak down is roughly zero across all six cylinders.
  • It sounds like the noise is coming from the driver's side head somewhere. I will be getting a stethoscope if necessary.

What I will check for tomorrow:
  • Exhaust leak. The noise is eerily similar to

Here is the video of my engine:

Let me know if it would help to get additional footage. Any additional things to check would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Last edited by mxrcdude; 10-12-2017 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-15-2017, 01:16 PM
mxrcdude

FYI - no exhaust leaks. There is no mechanical noise. If fuel is disconnected, there isn't even a faint tick.

Going to try my friend's fuel damper on the driver's rail to see if it works this weekend.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

A clicking or tapping noise that gets louder when you rev the engine is probably "tappet" or upper valvetrain noise caused by one of several things: low oil pressure, excessive valve lash, or worn or damaged parts.

In your posting, you say that you have eliminated low engine oil level and excessive valve lash; so, the problem might be worn or damaged engine parts.

I would not eliminate a problem with the valve lifters. Worn, leaky or dirty lifters can also cause valvetrain noise. If oil delivery is restricted to the lifters (plugged oil galley or low oil pressure), the lifters won't "pump up" to take up the normal slack in the valvetrain. A "collapsed" lifter will then allow excessive valve lash and noise.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:47 PM
mxrcdude

It started making all sorts of weird noises (clicks, taps, squeaks, knocks, it was quite the spectacle) after I swapped dampers. The engine is currently out of the car and I will be doing a proper teardown to hopefully identify the source.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Please post back to this thread when you discover the cause. That helps us learn. Thanks. --Spike
Old 08-17-2017, 04:39 AM
Mukrat
Race Naked FTW!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bump - Still waiting for cause/solution.

I have an 04 that has been making this same ticking for about 75K+ miles. Only recently I "feel" like I am starting to have performance issues. The performance issue may be totally unrelated but I would like to finally put the ticking noise to bed.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:25 AM
Mukrat
Race Naked FTW!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mukrat
Bump - Still waiting for cause/solution.

I have an 04 that has been making this same ticking for about 75K+ miles. Only recently I "feel" like I am starting to have performance issues. The performance issue may be totally unrelated but I would like to finally put the ticking noise to bed.
Update:

I found the source of MY ticking. 4 out of 6 spark plugs (Pistons 2,4,5 and 6)where LOOSE!!! These are the plugs from the day I bought the car from the dealership, brand new, back in 2004. The ticking started about 3 or 4 years ago.But like so many others have mentioned, the dealership simply said "the engine ticks".

I was changing my plugs because I have 150K+ miles on the car. I had no idea they where just sitting loose in there sockets. There was oil all up in the coil pack shaft that I had to clean up. And the plug chambers had oil in them as well. After I changed the plugs I was getting white smoke for about 10 minutes. After that the oil must have burned off and she was purring like a kitten again.

I am astonished that from the manufacturer the plugs came loose. So if your tick sounds like mxrcdudes sound byte here... Check your plugs!!

Last edited by Mukrat; 08-28-2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Added loose plugs locatiosn
The following 2 users liked this post by Mukrat:
Atreyu'z 350 (08-28-2017), Spike100 (08-29-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 04:53 AM
mxrcdude

I finally got motivated enough to drop the upper and lower oil pans to inspect the bottom end and found that the cylinder 2 rod bearing was on its way out. I'm guessing that I caught it at the early onset which made it sound more like a tick and when I started hearing all the cool noises, it got to the point where I could actually move the rod on the crank.