Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

very unpleasant shifting noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 09:02 PM
josephcuad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool very unpleasant shifting noises

I have a 2006 350z de motor of course, I have come across this very subtle yet very noticeable wacking/clunking noise when releasing the clutch from 1st gear going into 2nd and then i also hear it when i engage the clutch to shift into neutral. This sound is not very loud but if i were too roll down my windows and turn off my radio and just listen too the car you can clearly hear it. any thoughts on what it could be or maybe what im doing wrong is there any need to worry?

- I just started driving manual, i do have the hang of it though i dont stall and all my clutch engages are very smooth
- The whole clutch system was replaced about 2 weeks ago because of the clutch starting to slip

*in case anyone wants to see my beautiful z *

Last edited by josephcuad; 06-19-2017 at 09:07 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 06-19-2017, 10:05 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Hard to say from a distance. Some noise is perfectly normal, from not only the flywheel, but also the rotating components of the gearbox. It also depends on what type of clutch assembly you had installed; OEM or aftermarket.

I'd suggest taking it back to the shop that performed the work and have them takek a look at it, at least as a first step.
The following 2 users liked this post by dcains:
dkmura (06-20-2017), josephcuad (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:44 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Great advice from dcains!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:15 PM
josephcuad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcains
Hard to say from a distance. Some noise is perfectly normal, from not only the flywheel, but also the rotating components of the gearbox. It also depends on what type of clutch assembly you had installed; OEM or aftermarket.

I'd suggest taking it back to the shop that performed the work and have them takek a look at it, at least as a first step.
I did some research and also did end up taking it back to the shop i found out that the shop i went too, ended up installing a lightweight flywheel, and from what i know alot or all, lightweight flywheels have this very normal and distinct chatter usually if the car isnt warmed up, or at low rpms. thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-22-2017, 04:23 PM
jimbucks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If ypu are new at driving a manual just be sure you are pushing the clutch pedal all the way down before shifting gears. Best of luck.