Power Accessories - Doors, Windows, Seats Dont Work - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Old 08-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
oldschool350z

Default Power Accessories - Doors, Windows, Seats Dont Work

Hi there,

So my z now just had this issue after my wife tried to open the passenger door as I used the key fob to unlock it. I think they cancelled each other out and perhaps shorted something out.

Immediately I was unable to open the passenger lock and did it manually by pressing it open.

The following now happens:
- Power windows will not function (window lock is not on and Window motors were replaced with OEM 2 years ago).
- Both power seats will not work (nothing happens in either button).
- Power locks will not work (either with fob or button inside). The key does turn the driver lock from the outside but that's all.
- Key fob works - locks the vehicle but the locks do not move.

I have checked all the fuses in the cabin and do not see any blown.

Any ideas?

Last edited by oldschool350z; 08-10-2017 at 06:24 PM.
oldschool350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:05 AM   #2
karlt

You should get a copy of the Service Manual and see what circuits those systems have in common.
karlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:55 AM   #3
oldschool350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlt View Post
You should get a copy of the Service Manual and see what circuits those systems have in common.
Thanks for the reply. I researched and found they have the BCM in common and a fusible link in the engine bay near the battery.

However, I don't see that it's burned out and not sure how to even get it out to replace. I searched but didn't see a DIY on it anywhere even for non 350z.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:03 AM   #4
oldschool350z

I left the battery unplugged over night and then everything's working great.

However, I just was on break at work and put the window down and opened the door and now the same problem. None of the power seats, windows or locks work..

update: I did the same thing unhooked battery and as soon as I open the door the settings revert to no power on those items.

Last edited by oldschool350z; 08-11-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
zakmartin
orange moodring

BCM might be fried. I'd take it to a dealership and have them hook it up to a CONSULT to verify failure before shelling out the cash for a new one (unless you have a bi-directional car computer where you can remotely test the seats, windows and locks through the OBDII port.)
zakmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #6
zakmartin
orange moodring

Because disconnecting the battery worked (for a short time anyway), you might want to re-focus on that. How old is the battery? How are the grounds from the battery to the chassis? Can you do a carbon pile load test or an internal resistance test on the battery to see how it's performing?
Old 08-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #7
oldschool350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakmartin View Post
Because disconnecting the battery worked (for a short time anyway), you might want to re-focus on that. How old is the battery? How are the grounds from the battery to the chassis? Can you do a carbon pile load test or an internal resistance test on the battery to see how it's performing?
thanks for the reply. The battery is OEM and about 2 years old. I just put the car on a trickle charger.

any idea if autozone or advanced can run that load test? I only have a digital multi meter.

Up here Nissan charges like $150 just to hook you up to the consult machine. I know they are expensive but damn!

Im taking it to my mechanic to check out. My question, does the BCM control anything else? I might just learn to live with not using the seat, windows or locks. I could manually lock the driver side with the key I suppose.

Last edited by oldschool350z; 08-11-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
zakmartin
orange moodring

Yeah, don't count on Autozone for anything. Honest. They'll tell you things that work are broken just to sell parts.

A dedicated battery tester isn't that expensive on Amazon. I recommend these if you're on a budget:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015PI7A4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015PI7A4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O3U2UQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O3U2UQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have other equipment for the job, but own these and have found them to be reasonably simple to use and identify bad batteries with.

Since the battery is only a MAYBE as the source of the problem, the $150 you'll spend at the dealership to have them test the BCM through the CONSULT is going to be an easy pill to swallow if the alternative is spending 3 times that on parts or tools you don't need.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #9
oldschool350z

Thanks for the info I'll have to think of that tool will be used in the future lol.

i think I'm starting to pin point the issue. The power to those accessories stop when I sit down in the driver seat. I tried the passenger and there is no issue. I think there might be a short in the driver seat switch or wires underneath.

Last edited by oldschool350z; 08-12-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Found answer to throttle body whine
Old 08-13-2017, 06:26 AM   #10
oldschool350z

Okay I am 90% certain I located the issue. The wires under the seat were not secured and my seat was in the lowest position. I think the wires got pinched when I sat in the seat and created a fault or short.

I am going to zip tie them up so they are secure.