Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Cruise Control Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 04:53 AM
matholland618

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Issues

Hey guys! Last night going to and from the Kane Brown concert, I noticed a weird issue with my cruise control that has just started happening, and it continued on my commute to work this morning.

It first started off when I had my cruise on, and I rolled up my passenger window, it kicked the cruise off (light for cruise was still on, but the second light showing it is set kicked off). This is as if you hit the clutch or the brake. I have had an issue with my passenger window since I got the car anyway (which I believe it needs a new regulator) as it will click twice towards the very top as it is rolling up.

Anyway so I was driving this morning, and it would happen with the driver side window as well. Then it wouldn't turn back on unless I gave a slight amount of gas, then hit set and it would go back off when I let off the gas. Then finally it came on. I had hit my clutch and brake pedal with my foot as I know there are switches in both, but that didn't seem to change anything as well as pulling up on both pedals.

It almost seems that if there is some type of voltage drop then it will kick it off, but I tried turning my heat off, then turning it on max, and it didn't affect it. Neither did turning the headlights on and off.

What gives?
Old 10-19-2017, 03:10 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

What's the year on your car? Is the car throwing any codes? It might be a pedal position sensor, which can easily be checked with a scan tool that reads live data.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:34 AM
matholland618

Default Ok

It's an 03. I have an autel ms-906 but I'm still learning how to use it. I'll read the data when I get home from work and see what kind of data I get. It's been working fine, except for when I roll my passenger window up now...so I'm really wondering if it's something with that motor on the passenger side. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by matholland618; 10-20-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:17 AM
matholland618

Well it's been some time and I discovered that when I put my heated seat on (driver side) if it hasn't warmed up for a few minutes, it will prevent the cruise from coming on. Once it heats up for a bit, then it's fine. I'm still having issues with when I roll my windows up (driver or passenger) it will kick the cruise off. Today on my way to work, I had my Autel scanner in my car and figured I would plug it in and monitor some live data. I discovered that when I roll my windows up, it activates my brake switch. Not sure if there is a ground issue, or if the switch is in fact bad. Needless to say, I just ordered a brake switch that will be here Friday, so we shall see.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:17 AM
zakmartin

Wow, that's crazy. My initial thought to the update you just posted is that it's a BCM issue, but really, it seems to go in several different directions of possibilities. Since you're in the salt belt, be sure to also check your underbody grounds and the condition of the IPDM.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:51 AM
matholland618

Just an update (I know it's been a while). I replaced the switch in question, and I still have the same issue. It's kind of driving me nuts on the annoyance factor, as sometimes I can drive with the cruise on without any issues, then other times I just get aggravated and say forget it. I would love to trace this down, but I'm not so sure I'll find the issue lol. Grounds seem fine and so does the IPDM. I don't quite understand how the switch is getting triggered. I keep thinking that if something is sending power through the ground or something then it would be popping fuses somewhere.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:02 AM
zakmartin

Not if it's an unfused signal wire. Check a wiring diagram and follow the looms looking for any burned out or cut pieces of harness that are rubbing against engine or body parts. If the short is intermittent, like it appears to be, follow the troubleshooting guideline on the FSM since that will cover all potential problem sources.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:13 PM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a similar problem with my CC disengaging when another electrical component is used, although it doesn't happen each time. Sometimes when I use the turn signal while on CC the CC will disengage. Same thing with headlight flash or pulling a power window switch with the window closed.

It can also happen when going down hill and there is no power applied to maintain speed. I notice that the light flashes that normally indicates the CC is engaged when this happens.

I thought it might be some type of voltage regulation issue, or perhaps a bad CC module (assuming there is such a thing), but I haven't done any real diagnostic work as of yet.

Mine is also an '03.

Last edited by Scott Webb; 02-09-2018 at 02:14 PM.