Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

06 350Z Intermittent No Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 10:44 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by StepZ
With no rhyme or reason, the gas pump would should itself off while fueling.
Thanks for the update on the fix and I'm really glad it worked out.

I wanted to amend my previous response with regard to the vapor vent tube being the cause of the problem with the gas pump shutting off. I took my car to Nissan under their warranty extension last week and they told me (in vague detail) that the vapor vent tube wasn't the problem and that it was "probably" a cut bracket cover for the fill limit vent valve causing the problem (covered in TSB NTB08-082).

There seems to be a sort of bait and switch thing going on with regard to the warranty extension. The dealership charged me $156 for the diagnostic and wanted another $179 to perform the TSB fix. I told them not to do the TSB fix and then filed a claim the next day with Nissan North America to get reimbursement on the $156 for the diagnostic. Nissan said they would refund the money, but have been giving me a bit of a runaround with paperwork. I'm waiting for confirmation that the "check is in the mail" before I post all the details of the solution outlined in the TSB and the full story about the warranty extension on the vapor vent tube.

If you find that you're still running into problems with the gas fill-up at the pump, re-check the thread I linked to in the near future.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:08 AM
StepZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm.. thanks for the update zakmartin. The first dealership we took the car to did the warranty repair on the vent tube after I explained the symptoms of the occasional tough time filling up. I think we actually managed lucking out over the whole thing because between the two dealership trips, she got the vent tube fixed, an oil change, diagnosis, throttle body cleaning and re-learn, driver side damper replaced, and her tire pressure monitoring system is working all good now; all for $143! I know she had one or two bad sensors, but they all work now! I mean, I don't know if they felt bad for us, or there was some miscommunication, but it sure as hell made me feel better about the whole situation. So props to the Nissan dealer! Namely Pomoco in Hampton, VA.

So hopefully the vent tube fixed the fill-up problem, but I will let you guys know if it has the same issues in the near future.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:40 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Yeah, you most certainly have a good dealership. Count yourself lucky, my friend.

My dealership didn't run the full documented diagnostic on the vent tube, but went straight to the TSB money maker saying if that didn't work, THEN they'd do the vent tube. Their stated concern was that if they did the warranty work and it turned out to be the TSB issue instead, they'd get in trouble with the company that pays out the warranty claims. I was doing a lot of eye rolling at this point. They also said that they didn't want to wash the car (which is in the contract for whenever they do work) because they thought it was "clean enough" and "it might rain later." They said they vacuumed it though, which they didn't. My experience with the Nissan of North America Consumer Affairs Division has been a bit mediocre as well, because after they told me that the diagnostic refund was a done deal, they called back 3 days later asking for scans of my proof of payment, which they originally said they'd get straight from the dealership. I'm glad I didn't toss the records after being told the case was closed.

Anyway, I'll put all that in the other thread. I'm genuinely glad you got everything to work out on yours. Generally, unless it's warranty or body work, no one touches my cars except me.

Last edited by zakmartin; 02-15-2018 at 08:41 AM.