Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

03 Nissan 350z Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 03:59 PM
Micheal Wilds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 03 Nissan 350z Not Starting

So i got 03 350z car has like 83.xxx miles on it but driving it for a bit now, just recently my car has been having a hard time to start, engine just cranks over but doesn't start no dummy lights showing for some feedback, i pulled out my coil to see if i have spark and i do. ive replaced my starter and battery because im guessing i fried it lol, also have replaced my cams and crank sensors MAF sensor & coolant temp sensor as well as checked fuses, relays, i can hear my fuel pump prime when turning the key as well, sometimes i can get it to start and the car runs perfectly fine then seems then when i go to shut it off for like a minute car will not start, when it does start tho it'll idle then kinda cut out and die, i'm kinda stumped at this point honestly, my nats system seems fine, my red light isn't solid when cranking the car all it does is blink. if been doing lots of research on old forums and cant seem to find the issue.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:47 PM
JTeeAre

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you checked your relays for any possible corrosion on them which will not allow a clean contact for your cars electrical system to work fine?
This might be a long shot but what about the main connection to your cars ECU? A while back I drove my car around 45 mins to a Bass Pro Shops and it got me there fine, once I left the store and tried to start it, NOTHING. Absolutely nothing as in no crank no starter turning nothing. I could hear the fuel pump prime once I switched to on and that's as far as it got. All electronics worked with the key to the "on" position but car wouldn't start. Had it towed to a nearby mechanic I trust a lot and he checked all electrical connections and found that the connection to the ECU was extremely corroded and he said once he cleaned it the car started right up and that fixed my problem.

Just thought I'd mention it to you since it's what happened to me.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:20 PM
Micheal Wilds

Yeah i even tried switching relays with fog lamp relay and all seemed to work, couple days ago from when i posted this, car started and went on a test drive with it. car pulled pretty crazy didn't wanna like the past 2 months of owning it(guessing from changing the recalled cam and crank sensors?) then after it gets warm seems like it doesn't wanna start. Tried starting it today, car started and idled for a couple of seconds then slowly putter'ed out and stalled.

-Also didnt mention prior this i got gas at this gas station filled my usually $60 dollar fill ending to be a $5 dollar for 15 gallons, don't know if i got bottom of the barrel gas and its f*cking my sh*t now? or my cars having a hard time igniting it. idk i'm taking my key tomorrow to nissan seeing if my transmitter is f*cking up.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:53 PM
Micheal Wilds

bump? anybody with this issue??
Old 12-26-2019, 11:18 PM
Dylan Mines

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hmmm

Originally Posted by JTeeAre
Have you checked your relays for any possible corrosion on them which will not allow a clean contact for your cars electrical system to work fine?
This might be a long shot but what about the main connection to your cars ECU? A while back I drove my car around 45 mins to a Bass Pro Shops and it got me there fine, once I left the store and tried to start it, NOTHING. Absolutely nothing as in no crank no starter turning nothing. I could hear the fuel pump prime once I switched to on and that's as far as it got. All electronics worked with the key to the "on" position but car wouldn't start. Had it towed to a nearby mechanic I trust a lot and he checked all electrical connections and found that the connection to the ECU was extremely corroded and he said once he cleaned it the car started right up and that fixed my problem.

Just thought I'd mention it to you since it's what happened to me.
im not sure how trustworthy this mechanic is my friend. I’m no master mechanic, and I’m real young, but I know quite a bit and I’ve worked on a lot of z’s. I have heard of corrosion spreading up a cable to non exposed parts, but to spread all the way to the main ecu just seems very unlikely too me. I have even pulled the ecu and wiring harness out of my friends z that clearly came from up north. The whole bottom of the car was spread with rust, all the connections from the start, to the alternator up to the battery we’re green from calcium and corrosion, but the ecu and the connections leading mainly up too it were like new. Too me it sounds like he may have replaced your clutch neutral safety switch and fed you a fishermans story
Old 12-27-2019, 03:59 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylan Mines
im not sure how trustworthy this mechanic is my friend. I’m no master mechanic, and I’m real young, but I know quite a bit and I’ve worked on a lot of z’s. I have heard of corrosion spreading up a cable to non exposed parts, but to spread all the way to the main ecu just seems very unlikely too me. I have even pulled the ecu and wiring harness out of my friends z that clearly came from up north. The whole bottom of the car was spread with rust, all the connections from the start, to the alternator up to the battery we’re green from calcium and corrosion, but the ecu and the connections leading mainly up too it were like new. Too me it sounds like he may have replaced your clutch neutral safety switch and fed you a fishermans story

a year and half later... you responded to a post from june 2018