Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Water in NEW headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Bernardo Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water in NEW headlights?

hello everyone. My Z came with some aftermarket headlights that had a lot of problems so I went ahead and bought brand new Nissan headlights. New ballast, ballast oring, bulbs etc. I took the car to the car wash once and the passenger side only got a lot of foggy condensation inside. A couple days later my new ballast died bc the hid won’t turn on. It’s an 03 btw and yes I have fenderliners. I got pissed and got a hair dryer and took a bulb out to try it but it came back. I called Nissan and they’re shipping a new one to me very soon with a ballast. When I took the headlight out and checked the ballast it was drenched in water which makes me believe the water got in where the ballast screws on to. How do I prevent this? Was it just bad luck that I got a bad headlight? Or what gives? I sealed everything and installed it all correct. Any ideas guys? Also one thing I think caused it is that my fender liner for some reason doesent completely make a seal with the bumper on the passenger side. Wheel. There is a little opening there. Any ideas how to fix? Again thank you all that took the time to read this. Happy New Years guys!

Last edited by Bernardo Z33; 01-01-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:30 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Do you have your fender liners in place?
Old 01-02-2019, 09:04 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernardo Z33
btw and yes I have fenderliners.
Originally Posted by KornerCarver
Do you have your fender liners in place?
yup
Old 01-02-2019, 10:08 AM
Bernardo Z33

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
yup
Lol haha. Do you have any idea buddy?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:49 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Nope :P
Old 01-03-2019, 09:42 AM
Freise

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

When you seal up the headlight, it's possible to trap a significant amount of water vapor inside the headlight, especially if it is sealed in particularly humid conditions. Part of the way the headlight is sealed is when you install the ballast and bulbs. You can use a vacuum and a hair dryer to dry out the air if you are sure this is the problem.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:55 AM
Bernardo Z33

Originally Posted by Freise
When you seal up the headlight, it's possible to trap a significant amount of water vapor inside the headlight, especially if it is sealed in particularly humid conditions. Part of the way the headlight is sealed is when you install the ballast and bulbs. You can use a vacuum and a hair dryer to dry out the air if you are sure this is the problem.
Well that’s good to know because I sealed the headlight and the ballast inside of my warm home so that’s good. I just got the headlight in last night and adjusted it and it looks amazing with no water or vapor inside. I used a little extra bit of silicone just in case. But I hope it doesent happen again I’m avoiding car washes for now on. I think the strong jet of water is what did it