Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Yet Another Crank/Cam Position Sensor Problem...

Old 04-08-2019, 07:35 AM
SilverGLE

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default Yet Another Crank/Cam Position Sensor Problem...

Yes Another Crank/Cam Sensor Problem...

Alright, Z family... I'm beating my head against the wall on this one.

04 DE Z, bone stock save a Competition Stage 1 clutch (installed by previous owner) and HKS replica catback exhaust.

Ever since I've owned the car, every once in a blue moon on a warm startup, as the RPMs fell, the car would stumble and die. Never was a problem, and it happened so infrequently I didn't think much of it.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago... Took the car in for an alignment and it stumbled and died on EVERY SINGLE WARM STARTUP. As before, it was no problem after a slight throttle blip or 2.

It's also worth noting that there is no CEL.

After some research, I replaced the crank position sensor w/ Ultra Power off RockAuto... Tried this twice. First sensor actually threw a CEL with p0335. Second sensor did exactly what my OEM sensor does, stumble and die on warm startup.

Last week, I tried replacing OEM for OEM. STILL has the same problem with a brand new crank position sensor, and still no CEL. Once running, it runs fine. And the cold start has zero issues.

What am I missing, here...? Should I go ahead and replace both cam position sensors for good measure?

I've done some reading about how the stock flywheel has some type of signal plate (can't find a picture of it), and some aftermarket flywheels have a paint mark that is suppose to match the paint mark on the crank position sensor. Is this something I can see through the hole where the crank position sensor goes?

I'm trying to collect as much info as I can before I spend anymore time underneath that car, so any guidance is appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I did reset the ECU after each sensor swap (more than once per sensor) via my OBD2 Bluetooth dongle and Torque.

Last edited by SilverGLE; 04-08-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:34 PM
bealljk

Liked 395 Times in 334 Posts

If you want a set of OEM used cam / crank sensors to throw in and check to see if this is your culprit let me know ... I have a handful from blocks I've parted out.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:44 AM
SilverGLE

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk View Post
If you want a set of OEM used cam / crank sensors to throw in and check to see if this is your culprit let me know ... I have a handful from blocks I've parted out.
PM sent.

At this point, definitely willing to try out some used but good OEM sensors as a double-check!