Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Entry Points/I HATE MICE

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 03:51 PM
FantomZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Entry Points/I HATE MICE

Hi all,

I've been having a major battle with mice getting into the interior of my 2007 Z. So far I have taken the trunk area apart last year and found a nest on the passenger side up near the rear strut bar. After cleaning that out I searched the web/forums, and found some info on possible entry points for mice to get into the Z. So far I have placed metal screen over the cowl area that leads down to the blower motor, as well as, the two flaps behind the rear bumper which allow air to escape when the doors are shut. Prior to screening off the vent to the blower I noticed that the motorized flap that opens and closes to circulate air does fully shut when the car is off. However, the design seems poor because at the bottom edge closest to the center of the car there is a soft spot that a critter could easily sneak past and into the blower area of the HVAC system. Any how after not noticing any signs of mice for a couple months, I began to see signs again this past fall. My question is are there any other entry points that anyone knows about in which mice could get in? One thought I had was that the windshield weather moldings on the exterior are showing signs of deterioration. I know when they get bad enough water can find its way into the cabin. I haven't noticed any signs of water on the interior, but could this be a possible access point?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. I am the original owner of this Z and these things are driving me crazy. Although the car is still in great condition I fear that that could change if I can't stop them from getting in.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:05 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I do not know how they got in, but they chewed the wiring to my fuel pump .....behind the sub woofer

They were also in my air filter box, and in the cage fan for the passenger compartment.

Bounty sheets helped keep them away.

My daughter just purchased a new Honda Civic. Mice chewed up the engine harness. Apparently they really like the taste of Honda's wire insulation. It cost her $1,400 to repair it all.

Last edited by JCat; 03-22-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:17 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I once had rodents nesting and knawing on my windshield washer hose inside my garage. That quit quickly when I brought home a new Boxer dog and gave her free reign.
My suggestions are cheap and hopefully effective - adopt a grown cat from a local shelter, they hunt/kill for sport. 2) mouse traps, lots set w peanut butter. 3) old fashioned moth ***** inside and out. Most mammals hate the smell, you can air the car out when the crisis passes. Gl!
Old 03-23-2020, 02:25 PM
FantomZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JCat and jhc I really appreciate your replies. I do have traps that help control it. I will try the dryer sheet and moth *****. Gonna take care of the windshield molding, and then check to make sure they haven't chewed through the rubber boot under the shifter. If I find another point of entry I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:20 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 454 Likes on 369 Posts

They only need about a 11mm opening to pass through.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:41 AM
rustyschopshop

Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

hvac air intake under the wiper cowl on passenger side. Maybe 2 layers of steel window screen will deter there.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:43 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

After seeing this thred pop up again I'm reminded of their ability to get through deterants. Additional suggestion is steel wool, they can get past it but it might slow them down. Not joking.