Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Passenger Latch Assembly stuck locked

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 04:54 PM
gambit1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Passenger Latch Assembly stuck locked

Hi there, I could not find this exact topic in the forum or videos so I figured maybe someone may be able to help.

I recently bought an 2003 350z and been working on all the repairs myself. This car was in really rough shape so I have been working to put it back together.

One of the issues is the lack of door handles. I went ahead and installed the new door handle on the passenger side. Tested it out and it was all good. I locked the car and went inside.

Came out later to realize after unlocking the door the car that the handle did not work suddenly. Ok so I tried from inside (no trim yet) by pulling the latch wire. Still nothing.

I tried locking and unlocking again and noticed a buzzing sound when I unlocked the passenger side Repeatable everytime.

From here I use coat hangers and slim jims (interestingly my city it is illegal to sell slim jims so I had to go a few over). Nothing unlocked this door. I tried the common problem of just needing to pull up on the latch mechanism to get it unstuck but nothing. Thus I proceed to take the door apart (which sucked because it was the only thing put together perfect on the car). Once removing the inner paneling and the window I noticed nothing I tried was able to work to get this door open.

I did some more googling until I found the below video:

Doing this I was able to finally get the door open again (after a few tries). I proceeded to remove the latch from the door and test to make sure it worked after locking and unlocking again. It worked fine outside of the door.

Thinking maybe it was a big mistake I re attached the door handle and the latch again to the door. To immediately have the exact same issue once again with the buzzing sound when unlocking and the door refusing to fully unlock.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Does this mean I just need to suck it up and buy a whole new latch assembly? Since I installed the door handles is there anyway that is the problem (it did not do this before installing the door handles)?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you