Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

ABS Code C1140

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 10:38 AM
sauer420

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ABS Code C1140

Recently my VDC, SLIP, Brake, and ABS lights came on, with my OBD reader showing ABS code C1140. For some reason this code is not listed in my copy of the FSM. The brake codes are listed in section brc-20 and 21 of the FSM for a 2007 (Rev. 2006 November) but they skip from code C1127 to C1153. How could they not provide all the codes in the FSM? There is also no thread on this website that mentions this code. I see some threads on the Xterra forum mentioning code C1140 but the diagnosis is all over the place (from bad ground to ABS control module to suspension). Generic google search states ABS actuator, but the threads I am seeing on here for that issue have different codes (C1110, C1125, C1142) and seem to start off more intermittent, whereas my lights come on at every startup and stay on all the time.

I have a 2007 with 61K miles. I recently had the battery disconnected for a couple of months (battery was stored outside of the car being trickle charged). Upon reinserting the battery, I'm not sure if the lights came on upon initial startup but they were definitely there within 100 feet of driving and now are constant upon startup. After having the lights come on the first time, I drove the car over 2 hours at mostly freeway speeds and there were no noticeable symptoms (I'm used to driving with VDC off and I rarely set off ABS anyway). Brake pressure is normal. No power loss. I cleaned up the brake calipers and rotors. The pads are good. The fluid reservoir is full and fluid is clean. The fuse looks good but I haven't tried a new one because it's an odd size 3-in-1 fuse with 1 for VDC and 2 for ABS. It seems like the buzzing noise Zs make when turning the key to the on position without starting (my understanding is this is the ABS self-diagnostic) does seem to be a little more pronounced than usual, almost like a fan, but the garage in my new house is very quiet compared to my last place so this could be my imagination.

Prior to the lights coming on, I flushed the brake fluid in April, then did 2 HPDE days, drove the car home 2 hours, and stored it without the battery. One thing to note is that I had to drive on a dirt road for a mile, a little bumpy but not as bad as the pot holes all over I40 east in Arizona: I'm wondering if this could have damaged a wheel speed sensor but the lights did not come on at that time, only after coming out of storage.

I have the oem wheels and tire sizes with Akebono brake calipers from the 370Z. I am on the original springs/shocks and have done between 15 and 20 HPDEs - is it possible worn suspension could cause this? I have replaced a number of worn bushings and the sway bars.

Does anyone have info on C1140 or any ideas on what to check first?

Last edited by sauer420; 06-23-2023 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-23-2023, 12:47 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 456 Likes on 370 Posts

Sounds like the ABS actuator is bad.
Unplug it/plug back in?, but looks like you might need to replace it(per another thread on here saying they had the same code)
Old 07-03-2024, 06:08 AM
2004silverz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have a 2004 350Z and all light came on in the dash - TCS, ABD, Brake, etc...Took it to a mechanic and he did a diagnostics and told me that the alternator is good and told me he got the C1140 code... Any suggestions please. Thank you!!
Old 09-24-2024, 05:29 PM
sauer420

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004silverz
Hi, I have a 2004 350Z and all light came on in the dash - TCS, ABD, Brake, etc...Took it to a mechanic and he did a diagnostics and told me that the alternator is good and told me he got the C1140 code... Any suggestions please. Thank you!!
Hopefully you already took care of the issue since you posted a few months ago, but my Z did need a new ABS module to resolve the C1140 code. I just drove my Z the other day for the first time in over a year. During the time when it was off the road I replaced the ABS module with one I picked up on eBay, and the CEL and other lights on my dash are all gone now. The part number for my 2007 Z was 47660 and cost around $250 used on eBay, but I think the DE engines use a different part than the HR engines. It looks like the ABS module (a/k/a ABS pump or actuator) for a DE model is only around $100 on eBay.
It wasn't a difficult job - I purged all the brake fluid I could before removing the module with a flare nut wrench. If you don't get the brake fluid out it could spray from the module when removing the brake tubes/lines. I had to remove part of the fender liner on the driver's side in order to access the screws to remove the mount that holds the ABS pump. Might not be the same process though for the DE engine. My Z has TCS - if you have the more sophisticated VDC then Nissan may have to reset it (or go through a re-learning process?) after changing the ABS module.
Although the lights on my dash have cleared, my new used ABS module is leaking out the holes on top of the module that don't have brake tubes connected. The old one never leaked even with the CEL. I'm not a mechanic and don't even know what these extra holes are for. There is no torque spec listed in my manual for connecting the brake tubes to the module - the instruction just say to use a flared nut wrench. After leaking during the test drive, I tightened all those as much as seemed reasonable
and am hoping that solved the problem, otherwise I need another used ABS module for $250-$300 and there is no guarantee that one won't leak too.

ABS module in an HR engine