Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Wiper arms stripping

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 01:24 PM
sesh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiper arms stripping

Hey guys,

Having an issue with my motor/assembly. When I got the car the wipers didn't work, there was no fuse. I added a fuse and now they work but they keep getting pulled under the cowl area and getting stripped. I ordered a used set of wiper arms and they got stripped within 5 minutes.

When they get pulled under, I turn on the blades and there is no movement. I turn it off and it tries to move.....????? It's like its possessed

I have no idea what's wrong. Should I just replace the whole transmission?

In this picture they're pulled under with no play whatsoever. It was hard as hell to pull it out of that position. When I tried putting them in a higher position it had no effect.

Old 06-28-2024, 05:43 PM
icer5160

Received 428 Likes on 323 Posts

You need to re-index the wiper arms on the studs, if the studs/posts are stripped out, then you have to replace the wiper transmission. The wiper arms should never run under the hood/cowling like that when properly indexed. So you need to make sure you have the motor/transmission assembly in the PARK position BEFORE you install the wiper arms. It should also go without saying, but make sure you torque down the wiper arm nut good and tight (not crazy tight though).

Good Luck!
-Icer
Old 06-29-2024, 09:20 AM
sesh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icer5160
You need to re-index the wiper arms on the studs, if the studs/posts are stripped out, then you have to replace the wiper transmission. The wiper arms should never run under the hood/cowling like that when properly indexed. So you need to make sure you have the motor/transmission assembly in the PARK position BEFORE you install the wiper arms. It should also go without saying, but make sure you torque down the wiper arm nut good and tight (not crazy tight though).

Good Luck!
-Icer

Thank you for the response! How can I index the wiper arms? I'm not sure where the parked position is as there is no markings. Would replacing the whole transmission with a different used one fix the issue? Thanks again.