Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005 | 09:19 AM
ztastic

Nice write up T.Lowry and PulpZ2. I think its safe to say everyone would love to have the reliabilty of a Honda Civic built into every car we buy, but it just doesn't happen, especially on new models. Be informed and if you have not purchased yet, know what you are getting into before buying. Its not going to be an all purpose vehicle, but I think a good bang for the buck. Don't be afraid to review the old '03 TSB with a general manager before buying an '05 or even a used car and ask what is he going to do to keep you happy. Sure some will lie to make the sell, but try to go where others are happy if possible. The owner/general manager typically doesn't like unhappy customers.
Does that mean we should accept anything less than a perfect car, probably not, but should 'expect' even if we don't accept.
Old 02-16-2005 | 09:49 AM
zownz

thank you for the replies...from what i found out from the lead mech @ nissan...who has a 240z...and has owned every z since then including the z33 2day...i been told that the toe in allignment was 50% off...what fixes the problem is 2 get them re-adjust to a minimum...my frien initial d has 04 touring...he went to that same dealer..got a refference # from nissan1 and got his problem fixed..he has 14k miles on his Z...problems have not shown up yet...commenting on the price of the Z...the Z has been compared to the zo6, porsches, and even the e46...which are cars that are anywhere from $20k-$40k more than the Z...i had 2nd thoughts about buying the Z for a while because of that..but after some research the worst that can happen to you is 2 spend an additional 1k on suspension/ control arms 2 get your problem fixed....IMO....Zeek
Old 02-17-2005 | 02:53 AM
Leslie

Originally posted by mxpx_8
If you mean the alignment issue that causes the tire wear there is no true fix. For the pulling to the right issue they need to replace a part on the car. There is a TSB for that.
Late in the day but here goes, does the TSB go for the 05's as well? Our month old 05z pulls real slightly to the right also, a lane change in mabey 9-10 secs, also you can see that the steering wheel is cocked ever so slighty to the left to drive straight.

No unusual tire wear as of yet. We are also thinking of swapping out the stock suspension with the Nismo one, just in case it does start this tire BS. Besides a better suspension wouldnt hurt either way

Did anyone with early Z's fix it by going the nismo route? just curious. In case the 05's start having em.

Last edited by Leslie; 02-17-2005 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2005 | 11:12 AM
zownz

anyone heard bout the 3-4 lawsuites nissan got?..i mean no1 probably would but thats the word goin around...wonder what'll happen=))...they should just give us all some nismo wheels..teheee
Old 02-17-2005 | 11:59 AM
ztastic

Originally posted by zownz
anyone heard bout the 3-4 lawsuites nissan got?..i mean no1 probably would but thats the word goin around...wonder what'll happen=))...they should just give us all some nismo wheels..teheee
I did review this web site which was somewhat helpful..

http://www.nissantireproblems.com/
Old 02-20-2005 | 05:51 AM
Darrin

Default feathering

I have an 04 with 14,000. I just had looked at at dealership. diagnosis was alignment and feathering. would not fix because it was a 2004. If it was a 2003, new tires and alignment. b-s. logged compliant with nissan. stated that i was S-O-L. class action sounds great.
my 2 cents.
Old 02-23-2005 | 05:07 AM
smiles

Hi all,
I haven't posted up much (as my post count will tell - LOL) but I wanted to chime in on this.

First off a question - anyone know if the class action suit has been started in VA? If so I want to jump on that band wagon.

Our car is on its third set of front tires in 22k miles. Ironically, it still has the original rear tires on it (my girlfriends car). I have to admit, the noise is very annoying, not being able to talk on the cell phone or listen to radio. I opened a case with nissan as well. The dealer is ordering up the third set, but I am sure from the dealers perspective and nissans, this is the simplest way to get rid of me until I hit the 25k mark and they tell me to F off. Absolutely ridiculous. I am not sure if you all remember what happened with the NSX - but they had a similar lawsuit, and the owners won (back in 91/92).

Which brings me to my second point - for those who think that only the Z is a problem child, the G has this problem as well - I checked 5 G coupes myself at a used lot and they were all cupped.

IMO these types of issues are more a sign of the times than anything else. Manufacturers rush product to market to satisfy consumer's short lived tastes so they can take advantage and maximize their profit while the market is hot. I have had 3 lemon vehicles in 2004 of two different makes. Needless to say it sucks to get a great looking product that has fundamental underlying defects. After going through that, I am not sure I have the engery to deal with this as well.
Old 02-26-2005 | 10:02 AM
ZRA

I'm interested in getting an 05 350Z touring this year. I wonder if any of you who have purchased an 05 Z, noticed any signs of front tire problems. I realize that it's only the end of Feb. Your input would be helpful. Tnx. ZRA.
Old 02-26-2005 | 10:43 AM
pulpz2

Originally posted by ZRA
I'm interested in getting an 05 350Z touring this year. I wonder if any of you who have purchased an 05 Z, noticed any signs of front tire problems. I realize that it's only the end of Feb. Your input would be helpful. Tnx. ZRA.
To my knowledge, no one has complained about the 05s yet. May want to wait a few months though.
Old 02-26-2005 | 07:21 PM
GeeZLady

Originally posted by pulpz2
To my knowledge, no one has complained about the 05s yet. May want to wait a few months though.
I just bought my Z in January and I knew there was something funky with the alignment. I have just over 1000 miles on mine and it does pull to the right. I know nothing about feathering, can someone give me a quick run down on what it is?
Old 02-27-2005 | 07:05 PM
cpoe52

GeeZLady:

The pulling to the right is not feathering. Take it to a decent Nissan Dealer to get it fixed in warranty, This is a known problem with some 2003 & 2004 Zs.

Please check out this link:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....0&pagenumber=1

The first post pretty much sums feathering up including a picture.

Sorry to say there is NO cure for the 350z feahering problem.

Last edited by cpoe52; 02-27-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2005 | 09:41 PM
ronniemichel

Default New 05 Z Experience

1st week of ownership...approx. 500 miles. Has been in shop 3x. Problem is "pulling to right." Noticeable at any speeds between 20-75 mph. Dealer claims they have replaced 2 parts and performed 3 alignments. No benefit or change yet. Car needs to go back in shop this week.

Writing a letter to Nissan Consumer Affairs tomorrow, askiing that they provide a replacement vehicle, since they have not been able to fix/repair problem.

Performed road test w/ head mechanic at dealership..he agrees that the car has a problem.

After road test, GM provided a new car to drive. Car exhibited same problem as mine.
Old 02-28-2005 | 01:52 PM
ZRA

Thanks for your input. I'll wait a while and see what develops on the front end problems if any. I believe Nissan has cleaned up quite a few problems since the 03's were made. ZRA
Old 03-01-2005 | 01:09 PM
ronniemichel

Default 2005 350Z Roadster [drift right problem]

Curious if any members w/ coupe are having the "drift to the right" problem I have in the 2005 Roadster.

Performed a road test w/ dealer mechanic on Saturday to verify my problem. Afterwards, test drove a new Roadster on dealer lot...it had the same problem.

Maybe the "drift to the right" problem is only on Roadster model.
Old 03-01-2005 | 02:02 PM
ztastic

Default Re: feathering

Originally posted by Darrin
I have an 04 with 14,000. I just had looked at at dealership. diagnosis was alignment and feathering. would not fix because it was a 2004. If it was a 2003, new tires and alignment. b-s. logged compliant with nissan. stated that i was S-O-L. class action sounds great.
my 2 cents.
Wow, sorry. Mine had almost 12k (2004 Enthusiast) and I got free front tires and an alignment. I have a good relationship with my dealer and am a regular customer. They could have done it for that reason vs. any direct correlation to the old '03 TSB. Not sure, and I didn't ask! But the free tires were still the Bridgestone’s! Argh.
Old 03-04-2005 | 05:45 AM
dcwilson

about 10k on the new free Pilots and they started feathering again, very slight, so I took it in for the 5th free alignment. 2k later the feathering was getting worse, so I took it in again for a 1/2 price alignment and a l/r rotation. The Alignment was still dead on. Guess we are looking at tires every 25k and at least 3 alignments and a l/r rotation. I guess I can live with it, but it sucks. Why oh why did I sell my TT Supra...dumass!
Old 03-04-2005 | 09:25 AM
Leslie

Default Re: 2005 350Z Roadster [drift right problem]

Originally posted by ronniemichel
Curious if any members w/ coupe are having the "drift to the right" problem I have in the 2005 Roadster.

Performed a road test w/ dealer mechanic on Saturday to verify my problem. Afterwards, test drove a new Roadster on dealer lot...it had the same problem.

Maybe the "drift to the right" problem is only on Roadster model.
We have an 05 coupe and have the same pulling to the right thing, also we took it in just yesterday to check it out, although its a little better, it still pulls slightly to the right
Old 03-04-2005 | 09:36 AM
mxpx_8

Default Re: feathering

Originally posted by Darrin
my 2 cents.
I have the same story as you. Except I sued Nissan and won my case because they did not honor their warrenty to fix the problem. They tried to tell me it was 'normal'.
Old 03-04-2005 | 12:09 PM
ronniemichel

Default Re: Re: feathering

Originally posted by mxpx_8
I have the same story as you. Except I sued Nissan and won my case because they did not honor their warrenty to fix the problem. They tried to tell me it was 'normal'.
Can you share some info on your suit against Nissan? Where you asking for a new vehicle or return of car? How long did the action take to complete? Did you represent yourself or have an attorney?

Any details you can provide would be great. If you prefer, e-mail me direct: ron@realtynet-usa.com

Thanks
Old 03-04-2005 | 12:17 PM
ronniemichel

Default Re: Re: 2005 350Z Roadster [drift right problem]

Originally posted by Leslie
We have an 05 coupe and have the same pulling to the right thing, also we took it in just yesterday to check it out, although its a little better, it still pulls slightly to the right
Have you contacted Nissan [1-800-NISSAN1] to report the problem? Has the dealer replaced any parts or swapped tires or wheels? Have you "timed" how long it takes to fully move from one lane to the other?

Apparently Nissan has a "specifications test" that they use to determine whether car is within tolerances. Ex. If it takes 5-7 seconds to change lanes, then your car has a problem, however, if it takes 10-15 seconds, then that it within factory "specs."

My car is able to do the lane change thing in approx. 6-10 seconds. It starts slowly, then as it begins to turn the rate of turn increases.

Absurd to think that a car manufacturer could consider this "normal."

Quick Reply: Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)