Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005 | 06:10 AM
Leslie

Default Re: Re: Re: 2005 350Z Roadster [drift right problem]

Originally posted by ronniemichel
Have you contacted Nissan [1-800-NISSAN1] to report the problem? Has the dealer replaced any parts or swapped tires or wheels? Have you "timed" how long it takes to fully move from one lane to the other?

Apparently Nissan has a "specifications test" that they use to determine whether car is within tolerances. Ex. If it takes 5-7 seconds to change lanes, then your car has a problem, however, if it takes 10-15 seconds, then that it within factory "specs."

My car is able to do the lane change thing in approx. 6-10 seconds. It starts slowly, then as it begins to turn the rate of turn increases.

Absurd to think that a car manufacturer could consider this "normal."
No part swap etc.. But we were going to swap out the stock susp, wheels, tires, exhaust etc.. at some point anyway(even before buying the car) and also from talking with alot of different Z/G owners etc.. would make a world of diff. So we'll see.

Also, as far as dealers go? its a pretty reputable dealer (Performance Nissan) that we purchased/service car from. No real complaints so far, tho I suppose they also go by those silly limit specs.

Btw lane change min 11 secs or so, where prv mabey 9-10. but for the most part it now tracks pretty straight now(better than before at least)after taking it in. steering is also feels tighter too.
But yes,your quite right ,it should be freaking perfect.

Planning on going back, to put in an intake, mabey in a month or so, we'll see what goes(do another alignment check etc...)

Yes, know all about the spec test nissan goes by, total BS, no argument there. then again no car company would ever, admit to a defect or design prob. and nearly every one has some quirk or problem with their cars. Ever own a GTI golf?

Post any more info or probs, if you come by them, We'll likewise do the same.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2005 | 05:48 PM
ronniemichel

Default Car "pulls to right"

At dealer again today due to "low tire pressure" warning indicator. Also, the gauge which reports tire pressure not working on front tires [only rear]. Probably needed to be reset after they switched front wheels last week.

Dealer checked tires and fixed the sensor. Quick road test indicated that even with all 4-tires inflated correctly, the car still pulls to the right.

No other problems w/ the car. Is our first sports car/convertible and we enjoy driving it.

Still, we are very concerned about the safety of the vehicle with the steering/alignment problem. Never mind what this problem is going to do to the tires [I'm sure they'll need to be replaced much earlier than if the car tracked straight].

We did not go into vehicle w/ the idea of purchasing add'l performance parts.

Hope to be speaking w/ Nissan later this week and moving forward w/ a resolution to the problem.

Will let you know what I find.

Good luck w/ your situation also.

Curious to know how much the parts you are thinking of adding and if they correct the problem.
Old 03-07-2005 | 10:50 AM
WangDoodle

T.Lowry:
*In order to make the car affordable to people like you and me, Nissan controlled costs in a number of ways. They used an existing engine, interior kinda cheap, etc. It looks like the tires were another area they cut costs. I mean really, who sells a car with 'summer' tires.

Okay... I just gotta say first that although you made some very good points, this one is a pet peeve of mine, so sorry in advance for the flame.

Summer only tires are not summer only because that are cheap. They are also not specifically made with a low durometer to give a car a more "cushy" ride (someone actually suggested this to me). These tires are summer only because they have a tread and durometer (softness) which make them high performance tires. They have been specifically optimized for dry roads above a certain temperature. Most track tires are even softer and most can not be used in the rain, let alone the snow (consequently most aren't street legal either). All other things equal, almost all summer only tires will perform better (within their operating range) than almost all "all season" tires. Just like almost all snow tires will perform better (within their operating range) than almost all "all season" tires. It's about trade offs, not price. The Z was designed to be a track ready car, hence the track edition. Ever wonder why the track edition has Brembo brakes but cloth only seats? It's not because of cost, they could have made leather seats optional. It's because you don't slide around as much on cloth seats. Ever wonder why the convertible Z doesn't come in a "track" trim level? Rigidity aside, it's because most track cars have to be hard tops or be outfitted with one incase you roll them.

Also, there are plenty of cars being sold with summer only tires. I don't think it's a cost cutting measure. For instance (without mentioning exotic street legal race cars like the Porsche Carrera GT ($430,000, summer only tires (oh yeah, we're saving big now )), I have a friend with a 2003 Audi A8L ($90,000), performance package option comes with 20" versions of our tires. I have a friend with a 2001 Porsche Boxster S with stock summer only tires. I also have a friend with a 2002 330 Ci BMW with stock summer only tires.

Okay, I said I wouldn't, but my friend insisted on adding his two cents worth (he's very helpfull):

"Summer-only tires are clearly a cost-cutting measure.

Ferrari Enzo ($1,200,000): Summer-only
Porsche Carrera GT ($450,000): Summer-only
BMW M5 ($80,000): Summer-only
Subaru Impreza WRX STi ($35,000): Summer-only
Honda S2000 ($30,000): Summer-only

Honda Accord ($24,000): All-season
Nissan Sentra ($14,000): All-season
Hyundai Elantra ($13,000): All-season
Kia Rio ($8,000): All-season"
Old 03-17-2005 | 07:46 AM
Andre the Giant

Default 2004 feathering

Well, my 2004 Enthusiast has the tire feathering problem. It's not terribly bad. The car has 15,000 miles on it and the feathered tires still have decent tread on the inside tread blocks, but its still noticeable. I took the Z in to the dealer and asked them to check the roar and the feathering They mentioned the TSB for 2003's and that it didn't apply to the '04 models, but that Nissan knows there is a problem with the '04's and they would see what they could do. He contacted Nissan and received word that Nissan will pick up the cost of the tires, all I have to pay for is the alignment, mounting and balancing. (roughly $70) Although I would rather that the Z not have this issue in the first place, I'm very happy with my dealer's response, and Nissan has done pretty good. If Nissan issues a recall or TSB for 04's, I will be even happier, but I'm not going to hold my breath. In spite of this issue, I'm very happy with Nissan products (I own a 2001 Xterra and the Z) and would buy another before I'd buy another brand.

Even with the feathering issue, the Z is an awesome vehicle.
Old 03-20-2005 | 09:46 PM
super10251023

Default Final Answer From Nissan One

I have had this problem once before and am now going through it again. The first time nissan realigned and mounted brand new tires for free. Now they have been really ressistant to fix it again b/c they say I am outside of my warranty. I told them that it was a problem that had clearly started during warranty and is still a problem that they just temporrarily fixed. With no resolve I called nissan one who is supposed to assists the consumer in a nonbiased way. They told me that when the dealer fixes it once they are obligated to fix it again for free (alignment and free tires) within 20k miles of the last fix. Anything outside 20k miles of last fix and you get free alignment and prorated on your tire cost. This will continue until 2yrs after your warranty expires. Past that point you are on your own. So with this info I called nissan my dealer and now with some hesitance(sp?), I guess to not look guilty they have ordered my new free tires and I have an oppointment for free alignment/tires. But I still told nissan this is bull to pay 30k for a car and for the rest of my life or ownership I have to get realignments and tires way before their needed!
Old 03-24-2005 | 07:55 AM
Darrin

Originally Posted by mxpx_8
I have the same story as you. Except I sued Nissan and won my case because they did not honor their warrenty to fix the problem. They tried to tell me it was 'normal'.

I am the person with the original proglem. could you give me info on how you sued nissan. I would really appreciate this info. darrinrussell@sbcglobal.net
Old 04-01-2005 | 07:27 AM
dilledille

Default Road noise

I have a 2003 Z with 10,600 miles. The road noise is very bad. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you solve or is there a solution other than replaceing with a Hyunda.
Old 04-04-2005 | 07:36 AM
Darrin

Default alignment/feathering

all 2003 z's are covered under warranty with this problem. go to dealership and have them look at your car = allignment and new tires
Old 04-04-2005 | 11:11 AM
karmstro

They said my warranty had run out (its been over 2 years since the build date). So, Alignment and tires on my Dime!! Anyone else getting this??
Old 04-06-2005 | 05:38 PM
arejohn

Default Build date?

Warranty time is starts on delivery date not build date.
Old 04-10-2005 | 02:06 PM
niepo

I'm thinking about buying a 350Z, but after reading ya'lls posts I'm not too sure anymore. I did the whole car mechanic thing for a few years during and after high school, and I actually specialized in alignments at one shop. I don't understand how there can't be a cure for this problem. Its not rocket science here, the only thing that can feather a tire is toe in or out. So why doesn't an alignment fix the problem? Are the factory alignment specs wrong? Or maybe the toe in or out is perfect with the wheels straight but incorrect with the wheels turned due to the geometry of the suspension/steering, which would make the feathering only happen while turning vehicle. Who knows? If a simple toe adjustment doesn't fix the problem then its probably going to require major front end modifications. Once again, who knows? I hope they fix this problem because I would love to become a part of the Z family.
Old 04-11-2005 | 12:02 PM
dh21187

Thumbs down Don't Do It

DO NOT BUY THE CAR.. I am in the middle of this mess trying to get this car fixed and they are claiming there is no problem with it. You let go of the steering wheel and the car dives to the right. If you hold the wheel steady the car still pulls to the right. I called Nissan and spoke to Miranda Carter, ext # 3843, and she denied that the 2004 even had the problem. When I informed her I knew she was lying, as they had already replaced my tires and re-did the alignment under warranty, she said indeed there was a problem, but it had been fixed. Then she claimed there was a drag kit of some form put on the car that was supposed to have fixed the problem. I asked what that was since it appeared no where on my service orders. She then said they often replace parts on your car without telling you they do it. Makes you wonder why they even give you repair orders since they don't mean crap. I am so going sue the **** out out of them. I'm in the process of doing the Lemon Law claim now in NJ. They suck..
Old 04-11-2005 | 12:07 PM
dh21187

There currently is no way to repair the problem, only band aids. They put new tires on it and adjust the alignment enough so you are out of warranty when you go back and its now on you. I have a 2004 with the problem and they have replaced the tires and done the alignment twice. I only have 10k miles on it. I recorded my talks with them and I have caught them lying their assess off. I am just going to keep gathering evidence agains them for my Lemon Law hearing. I start it after tomorrow so I will have to see how long it takes to resolve this issue.
Old 04-11-2005 | 12:11 PM
dh21187

Default Suit

Originally Posted by Darrin
I am the person with the original proglem. could you give me info on how you sued nissan. I would really appreciate this info. darrinrussell@sbcglobal.net
Did you sue them in small claims court for the tires and alignment, or through the Lemon Law for a vehicle refund?
Old 04-11-2005 | 07:47 PM
nightmare

Default tire feathering

I have an 04 track model and I started getting the feathering noise around 5k miles. Took it to my local dealer and they told me that 04's did not have this problem anymore, and said that I needed to have my tires rotated. ($80.00) I did this and the noise went away for about another 3k miles and now its back. Took it back yesterday and the guy now told me that this is normal and that I would have to replace my tires pretty soon. I ONLY HAVE 9K MILES ON THE CAR, WHAT THE HELL? Something needs to be done, becuase this is bull crap. $35,000 car and you have to deal with this. I should have bought the STI. Oh well.
Old 04-15-2005 | 04:44 PM
spitfirez

Originally Posted by nightmare
I have an 04 track model and I started getting the feathering noise around 5k miles. Took it to my local dealer and they told me that 04's did not have this problem anymore, and said that I needed to have my tires rotated. ($80.00) I did this and the noise went away for about another 3k miles and now its back. Took it back yesterday and the guy now told me that this is normal and that I would have to replace my tires pretty soon. I ONLY HAVE 9K MILES ON THE CAR, WHAT THE HELL? Something needs to be done, becuase this is bull crap. $35,000 car and you have to deal with this. I should have bought the STI. Oh well.
This is pretty much exactly what the told me today when I took my Z in to the dealership for the tire feathering problem. It's ridiclous that they refuse to acknowledge the same exact problem on the 04s.
Old 04-16-2005 | 05:10 AM
arejohn

To owners of 04s with feathering, do you have 04 or 04.5?
Old 04-16-2005 | 12:29 PM
JohnnyZ

Default JohnnyZ

I tried to send an email to "owners350Z@yahoo.com" but mail was undeliverable. Is there a problem with the address?
Old 04-16-2005 | 01:47 PM
311roadster

Default 04.5

I have a 04.5
Old 04-16-2005 | 02:03 PM
nightmare

Default build date

mfg. date was on 01/04.

Quick Reply: Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)