Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Too much FREON in A/C causing compressor cutoff

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 11:39 AM
bjgordon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Too much FREON in A/C causing compressor cutoff

My A/C on my brand new 2004 350Z was intermittently blowing HOT air. In other words, compressor was shutting off. When compressor was staying on, A/C worked great, but WHY was it shutting off on its own? After 4 visits to dealer service resulting in them having the car for a total of 18 days (yes, 18 days) with their best Z technician working on it, plus multiple calls to the Nissan hotline, plus bringing in a Nissan Engineering Field Technician..... they tried several things like replacing Integrated Power Distribution Module (IPDM), Engine Control Module (ECM), Body Control Module (BCM), and unified meter and A/C Amplifier. None of these solved the problem. They knew something was causing the voltage to be cutoff to the compressor, but couldn't figure out what was causing this.

ANSWER: Finally, they did another pressure test and found the problem. PRESSURE SPIKED AS HIGH AS 400 PSI AND REGISTERED OVER 4 VOLTS AT TIME OF FAILURE. OPINION WAS CAR WAS DELIVERED FROM FACTORY WITH TOO MUCH FREON, WHICH CAUSED A/C CUTOFF AT HIGH VOLTAGE/PRESSURE . THEY EVACUATED A/C SYSTEM (IT HAD 1.65 LBS) AND PUT IN NEW FREON AT FACTORY SPECS (1.21 LBS). A/C FAILURE IS NO LONGER OCCURRING. SO, PROBLEM WAS CAUSED BY A/C SYSTEM HAVING TOO MUCH FREON FROM FACTORY.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience?
Old 05-12-2004, 04:48 PM
MonkeyBoy

Would be hard considering that FREON hasn't been used since the mid 80's.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:10 PM
DOliver

Default Re: Too much FREON in A/C causing compressor cutoff

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bjgordon
[B]My A/C on my brand new 2004 350Z was intermittently blowing HOT air. In other words, compressor was shutting off. When compressor was staying on, A/C worked great, but WHY was it shutting off on its own? After 4 visits to dealer service resulting in them having the car for a total of 18 days (yes, 18 days) with their best Z technician working on it, plus multiple calls to the Nissan hotline, plus bringing in a Nissan Engineering Field Technician..... they tried several things like replacing Integrated Power Distribution Module (IPDM), Engine Control Module (ECM), Body Control Module (BCM), and unified meter and A/C Amplifier. None of these solved the problem. They knew something was causing the voltage to be cutoff to the compressor, but couldn't figure out what was causing this. ..........

Yep, different make & model but same effect. Took three trips for the dealer to figure this out.