15.51%
kind of difficult to shift, but with high rpm rattle
7.91%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

how does your Z shift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003 | 09:28 PM
khacken2

I agree that the shifts take a good amount of force, but after 200 miles this weekend (picked it up thursday night), I love it. When getting on it, I feel like I can really slam it into gear with breaking something. I love that solid feel. My only complaint is that I haven't got the feel for getting back to third from fourth. I think that is more me getting adjusted to the car.
Old 01-22-2003 | 11:25 PM
Wotnot

Default I've noticed oen thing in the alst few days

the shift gate from fifth to sixth is a very very slight down (obviously) and to the right maneuver. I'm not sure if any others have noticed it, but it is there....aside from that, shifting is great...but I'm still breaking it in...I'll post again if/when I notice anything in terms of rattling or stiffness
Old 01-23-2003 | 06:26 PM
khacken2

Update:

1000 miles and the shifting is getting easier.
Old 01-27-2003 | 12:04 AM
s9am_me

the first couple hundred miles i heard a lot of rattling from 1st to 2nd... now at 1240 miles... haven't really heard it much.. except only when starting cold. Also, as someone posted.. shifting is getting easier
Old 01-27-2003 | 01:03 AM
alphared

I'm not sure if its the cold, but the shifter shakes alot, and seems sluggish shifting, like 1, 2, & 3rd gears.
Old 02-04-2003 | 08:57 PM
Wotnot

Default 200 miles

and it shifts pefectly
Old 02-06-2003 | 11:34 AM
mike952

Default 4k miles now

shifting is perfect. No high RPM rattle. Vibration yes (knumbs hand if you leave it there).

When leaving in the morning (or after the car has been off for an extended period of time) . The first shift from 1st to 2nd...the transmission makes a clucking sound at the moment of pushing in the clutch

(almost as if there is no slipping going on and is just a clunky disengagement).
Old 02-06-2003 | 06:20 PM
SexZ

6th gear has a slight hitch...
Old 02-09-2003 | 01:04 PM
WashUJon

I feel some vibration in the lever at idle, but that's to be expected. There's no audible rattle and no vibration that I don't expect with a direct linkage.

My 2nd gear synchro is a big finnicky, especially when cold. It really needs to be rev-matched on downshifts and sometimes it gets really stubborn to get into gear on upshifts. I'm really hoping its because I only have 300 miles on the car. I'm hoping that in time the tranny loosens up a bit. Sometimes the shifts are like a bolt-action rifle and sometimes there's either notchiness or a click before the lever goes into gear. So far, third gear has been just fine. I only have resistance or notchiness in 2nd and 6th.

We'll see what happens in time...
Old 02-12-2003 | 07:14 PM
gotagetmyZ

Default new tranny differences

My first tranny was very smooth with easy shifting on all gears but then it started grinding gears into 3rd. I took it in and had the tranny replaced. My new tranny is almost perfect.... I did say almost. shifting into 5th and 6th is rough. I have to use excessive force in order to get it into the gate. I'm not going to take it back because I'm never in too much in a hurry to get it into those gears but if it worsens I'll take it back. Also, The engagement of the clutch seems lower to the floor now campared to before. One other thing, I remember not having to shift into 4th till close to 97 or so mph without redlining. Now, in 3rd I'm having to shift into 4th at around 90 mph. This bites for 1/4 mi times. Has anyone else notice other differences.

Dave
Old 02-13-2003 | 07:37 AM
WashUJon

Default Re: new tranny differences

Originally posted by gotagetmyZ
My first tranny was very smooth with easy shifting on all gears but then it started grinding gears into 3rd. I took it in and had the tranny replaced. My new tranny is almost perfect.... I did say almost. shifting into 5th and 6th is rough. I have to use excessive force in order to get it into the gate. I'm not going to take it back because I'm never in too much in a hurry to get it into those gears but if it worsens I'll take it back. Also, The engagement of the clutch seems lower to the floor now campared to before. One other thing, I remember not having to shift into 4th till close to 97 or so mph without redlining. Now, in 3rd I'm having to shift into 4th at around 90 mph. This bites for 1/4 mi times. Has anyone else notice other differences.

Dave
There shouldn't be any difference in gearing unless the new tranny has different gear ratios!

That has me concerned...
Old 02-15-2003 | 11:10 AM
msink

Default Re: 4k miles now

Originally posted by mike952

When leaving in the morning (or after the car has been off for an extended period of time) . The first shift from 1st to 2nd...the transmission makes a clucking sound at the moment of pushing in the clutch

(almost as if there is no slipping going on and is just a clunky disengagement).
This is normal. I had a '99 NSX that started making this same noise. I hated it, dealer said it was normal.. gear lash noise or something, showed me another NSX that had it, but not as bad. Then, I was watching a video of a Ferrari 33SP (race car) as soon as they put it in gear, I heard the same, rattling type sound, also sounded s similarl to what a motorcycle sounds like when engaging a gear. Well, my Z has the same sound as the NSX, so Im pretty sure it's to be expected now.

Im also going to see if the clutch pedal can be adjust, the throw is WAY too much, and pedal is too high. With my foot resting on the dead pedal, I can place my show BEHIND the clucth pedal simply by sliding my foot over as if i was going to press the pedal.
Old 03-01-2003 | 12:13 PM
TereP

I've driven a lot of manual transmission performance cars, and the Z tranny/shifter is pretty sweet by comparison. Not a single problem with either up or down shifts in all gears (and that includes fast power shifting) -- I don't use the brakes much at all.

As some have commented, the huge clutch pedal travel is my biggest complaint -- I'd like to knock 2 inches off the travel. The clutch engagement though is great -- it grabs rock solid (no slipping). My clutch pedal "sweet spot" is about 2.5 inches off the floor, which for me is just about right.

Experience, technique, and practice probably makes a big difference in shifting outcomes.
Old 03-03-2003 | 12:18 AM
Dutchy

gear changes are fine probably but i dont like the clutch much i like to keep my heel on the floor which i cant get right with this clutch. Sometimes I feel like Im driving a truck if i have to lift my whole foot of the floor.
had the same issue with the sentra and the dealer told me they couldnt adjust the cluch as it was hydraulic ???never had this with my old VW Gti's. probably need to get use to it but it's been 2 years now
Old 03-03-2003 | 04:56 PM
guerojo

mine shift from 1st to 2nd. Then it goes to 3rd, after that it goes straight to 4th. If I'm lucky I go to 5th, and if all goes well marvelous 6th gear enters.
Old 03-04-2003 | 05:18 AM
zpeed350

Picked My Redline Enthusiast on 3.1.03 and the tranny it perfect. No excessive force needed. With just a little pressure its slides right into every gear. And I have too have noticed that sixth is down and slight to the right. The clutch grabs just before half way, and is very solid in graggin. Just under 500 miles and perfect!

Last edited by zpeed350; 03-04-2003 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2003 | 12:24 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

these shifting problems sound more like clutch problems......from what i understand, our clutches are supposed to be self-adjusting......perhaps thats where the problem is
Old 03-23-2003 | 12:26 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

BTW.....i've got 10K+ on my Z, and it shifts perfect
Old 03-25-2003 | 01:50 PM
chahny

1500 miles and hard to shift into first and second.
Old 04-08-2003 | 10:02 PM
msink

For those looking to shorten the clutch throw, see my post on this page with the attached images for doing this.

This was the 1st thing i did yo my car!

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....=2&post=254320

Quick Reply: how does your Z shift?