Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My Driverside Window Won't Roll Down

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 08:20 PM
jimster716

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Driverside Window Won't Roll Down

I walk to my car after work and turn on the ignition. As I'm about to leave I roll down the window...or so I thought. The window wouldn't roll down. Grrrr!

Gotta take it to the dealership in the morning and with my mods I don't want to hear any crap about warranty coverage cuz I dare say the window greasing (both windows which I have never taken care of since I don't want the service people to screw anything else up when they open up the door panels) would be a more likely culprit than a rollcage or suspension.

Aarggghhh...the night autocross (once a year event) is this weekend.

They're also going to have to take a look at the fuel gauge since it never goes to full. Yeah yeah, i tried different pumps and topped it off til it was dripping and it still only showed 3/4 full. Getting tired of fill-ups where I only get 8-10 gallons.

My first Nissan.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:07 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you're experiencing the faild window motor. since they are going to have to take the door apart anyway you might as well get them to fix the grease streaks.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:02 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been there done that, make sure they replace the motor in the window and not just realign it
Old 08-03-2004, 12:49 PM
KIKILALA825

Unhappy Mine won't come up!

My z is totally the opposite... i use the keyless entry to roll both window down without start the engine, guess wut ... driver side won't come back up... tried many times with engine on and off...

On my way to the dealer, i give it the last try, and " IT COMES UP!!!" Damn !t..... went to the dealer anywayz... but it works fine, really don't know wut to do about it.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:14 PM
pimp1911

Had driver side done under warranty. Welcome to the club. Looks like this is becoming more common now.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:21 PM
raidersfan

No kidding, just give the door panel a good smack and it will go up or down. (no way to fix it but if you need it down it works)
Old 08-03-2004, 02:22 PM
raidersfan

By the way I am on my second motor and this one recently bit the dust.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:31 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its stuck in the down position take a pen and pry the window away from the part its stuck against while pulling on the button to make it go up. this will make it unstick and roll up if you really need it to. but it will make some nasty squeal/grinding noises as it goes up. if stuck while up simply manipulate with hand while depressing the button. i lived with this problem for 2 weeks b4 getting it fixed.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:10 PM
chadalac350z

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
if its stuck in the down position take a pen and pry the window away from the part its stuck against while pulling on the button to make it go up. this will make it unstick and roll up if you really need it to. but it will make some nasty squeal/grinding noises as it goes up. if stuck while up simply manipulate with hand while depressing the button. i lived with this problem for 2 weeks b4 getting it fixed.
^^Boss status!! Reppin FL, This s.h.i..t just happened to me too. Wont go down. One week before made nasty noise right before it closed shut on the roll up. then it rolled up and down on its own accord twice. So new motor in the mail to me.

Turbo'ed it last year about 400 hp on race gas. fun to drive. Anyone go to Orlando Speed World in here?

Last edited by chadalac350z; 03-26-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:25 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

Originally Posted by chadalac350z
^^Boss status!! Reppin FL, This s.h.i..t just happened to me too. Wont go down. One week before made nasty noise right before it closed shut on the roll up. then it rolled up and down on its own accord twice. So new motor in the mail to me.

Turbo'ed it last year about 400 hp on race gas. fun to drive. Anyone go to Orlando Speed World in here?
holy dead thread revival.... 10.5 years.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ And the window motor is still a problem!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:30 PM
travlee
Master

this might be the longest dead one i have seen revived
Old 03-26-2015, 06:35 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Maybe it's the faulty window motor that is the longest running problem in the 350z that just won't die.

The problem is reported frequently over the last eleven years.
The following users liked this post:
James Landry (03-27-2021)
Old 03-28-2015, 06:25 AM
deeno

sheesh! revival ftw!

sucks but good to know others are experiencing it and not just me .

i cleaned the motor last year and was working well... then my pass side went so i did the same.

this year i have to fonzi the window my hitting the door panel as i push the button....

ill replace both motors when its warmer out
Old 04-01-2015, 08:46 AM
Boogshag

Ive been living with an intermittent drivers side window for a couple months now, but its just now getting warmer so now is when I need it to work the most. Im not convinced that the motor is bad yet since it works occasionally. Also, I think I have gotten it to function when it was stuck down by hitting the door panel with my fist.

Anyone have this issue and able to fix it WITHOUT replacing the motor? Im gonna tear the door panel apart soon and see what I see. Ive already taken it apart about 16x to repeatedly fix a speaker wire...then I replaced the stupid speaker.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:48 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by Boogshag
Ive been living with an intermittent drivers side window for a couple months now, but its just now getting warmer so now is when I need it to work the most. Im not convinced that the motor is bad yet since it works occasionally. Also, I think I have gotten it to function when it was stuck down by hitting the door panel with my fist.

Anyone have this issue and able to fix it WITHOUT replacing the motor? Im gonna tear the door panel apart soon and see what I see. Ive already taken it apart about 16x to repeatedly fix a speaker wire...then I replaced the stupid speaker.
it is bad, eventually it will stop all together. it has happened to mine and i would say about half the members on here
Old 04-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Boogshag

Originally Posted by travlee
it is bad, eventually it will stop all together. it has happened to mine and i would say about half the members on here
Thats the answer I was expecting. Okay, I may as well replace it when I have the door panel off. Thanks for your help
Old 04-01-2015, 09:22 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Boogshag

My windows started getting slower then one day my driver window stuck down. Found if I hit it like you have been doing while holding the switch it would roll up.

Window motors are way too common on the Z's. You CAN open the motor up and clean it out and put it back together but that's just a temp fix. I replaced both motors at the same time and they now roll up and down at the same speed and are much faster.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:25 AM
Boogshag

Originally Posted by 92K1500
My windows started getting slower then one day my driver window stuck down. Found if I hit it like you have been doing while holding the switch it would roll up.

Window motors are way too common on the Z's. You CAN open the motor up and clean it out and put it back together but that's just a temp fix. I replaced both motors at the same time and they now roll up and down at the same speed and are much faster.
Good to know, looks like I might as well just replace it. I think I have a LH motor laying around from the original repair, so I might be in luck!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Tomalam

Default Pushed up for 5 seconds

not sure if this works for anyone out there, I had the problem recently where passenger window no longer works. Closing the door it doesn't move up to fill the gap either.

i was about to order a motor when I tried pulling up on the window control, held for 5 seconds, then press down on the window control and it rolled down and started working. Not sure if holding up on it for 5 seconds (like if you were trying to roll window up) reset it or something.

my problem was on passenger side, i held up on the window control from driver side but for the passenger window.

Quick Reply: My Driverside Window Won't Roll Down