Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Headlights fogging up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 09:56 PM
myinfinitig20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights fogging up?

My headlights have this foggy look to them. I tried cleaning it but it's no good. Even tried windex and other window cleaners. I never realised how bad it was till i parked near a black z just like my car wich was brand new and realised the difference. Anyone else have this problem? Covered by warranty? Im taking it in tomorrow to the dealer so i need to know waht to say.

Nick
Old 10-13-2004, 07:36 AM
grifferjr

Default Re: Headlights fogging up?

Originally posted by myinfinitig20
My headlights have this foggy look to them. I tried cleaning it but it's no good. Even tried windex and other window cleaners. I never realised how bad it was till i parked near a black z just like my car wich was brand new and realised the difference. Anyone else have this problem? Covered by warranty? Im taking it in tomorrow to the dealer so i need to know waht to say.

Nick
Sounds to me like there might be a "break" in the seal around the lamp itself, letting moisture in. my grand prix did this with one of my lamps and it did drive me nuts. I eventually just replaced the lamp, but then again the prix's lights werent the xenon ones and from an auto store cost 20-30 bucks. from what i have heard the xenon fixtures are upwards of a 100 bucks or so, if not more.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:59 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Keep us posted what the dealer does.

Dealer replaced mine within the first two weeks because the idiots razor bladed my headlamp while installing a clear bra.

Now the drivers side fogs up about an inch on the top corner.

It went away, so the dealer wont replace it without seeing it.

I'll have to time it when it comes up again.

Did you put aftermarket HID's on?

Keep us posted.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:58 PM
myinfinitig20

no i have stock xenons. Never opened the headlights. Im going to take them in sometime this week when i can find time. Its notthat the evaporation goes away. it doesnt. Its always foggy or dirty from the inside.

i'll keep you guys posted
Old 10-20-2004, 08:30 AM
phoenixZ33

You sure it's not the oxidization on the outside?
Old 10-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Losing Grip II

Originally posted by phoenixZ33
You sure it's not the oxidization on the outside?
mine appeared to have a haze on the inside. however i bought some 3m plastic cleaner and polish. used ALOT of elbow grease, and now the haze, which was oxidation, is gone.

john
Old 10-24-2004, 08:58 PM
daletexas

do u wax your car after a wash. after getting a carwash. dont ever wax near the head light. wax cause the foging in side of the headlight. alot of lexus and supra have this problem. i work a dealership see it all the time. my dealership dont use any waxing . u cant fix it . if u open up the headlight, it wont ever seal tight again.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:55 PM
myinfinitig20

well im actually thinking its on the outside. i"ll find out. when i wash the car w/ water then the headlights look perfectly clear while it's still wet but when it dries it gets foggy looking again
Old 10-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Losing Grip II

Originally posted by myinfinitig20
well im actually thinking its on the outside. i"ll find out. when i wash the car w/ water then the headlights look perfectly clear while it's still wet but when it dries it gets foggy looking again
is oxidation on the outside. same problem with mine. do what i did. buy 3M's plastic cleaner and polish, use a lot of elbow grease and they comes right off and look much better.

john

p.s. do a search on the web. i bought mine on-line.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:35 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem here . . .It does look to be on the inside. It almost has a soapy film look about it. I have some plastic polish that I got online that swears to fix it, but it does not seem to do the job. Maybe I will try the 3M stuff.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:25 PM
Losing Grip II

Originally posted by VandyZ
Same problem here . . .It does look to be on the inside. It almost has a soapy film look about it. I have some plastic polish that I got online that swears to fix it, but it does not seem to do the job. Maybe I will try the 3M stuff.
its called

3M Plastic Polish
3M Plastic Cleaner

heres a link to where you can buy both:

http://www.autogeek.net/3mplascleanp.html

this is the same place where i bought mine. you first uses may lead you to think that it doesnt work and in fact makes it worse. like me. but then i began to rub hard until i saw it coming off. thats why i can not stress enough the use of a lot of elbow grease. youll see and understand once you try it forself. i mean u dont need to lift ur body off the ground but u simple can wipe it on and off.

john
Old 10-27-2004, 11:54 PM
ROME

I dont know about you guys, but I wash them with cheap old zipwax carwash and have not have a problem yet...... Dont put nothing on them. Any friction and all that nonsense and solvents will ruin them to me. Just adding my $0.02
Old 10-28-2004, 09:03 AM
Losing Grip II

Originally posted by ROME
I dont know about you guys, but I wash them with cheap old zipwax carwash and have not have a problem yet...... Dont put nothing on them. Any friction and all that nonsense and solvents will ruin them to me. Just adding my $0.02
tru,

however 3M's are specially made for automotive plastics and plstic headlights. in fact in a TSB, ppl who have been reporting what is now known as a haze or film on the headlights, nissan states that they or the dealer should use a 3m polish to get it off. how do you think i got the part number for the polish?

thats my $0.02

john
Old 10-28-2004, 07:15 PM
ROME

cool the rest of my "cents" are tied up in the car. Until now I didnt know about the tsb for the headlights. Im gonna get some of that 3m stuff.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:18 PM
ROME

cool the rest of my "cents" are tied up in the car. Until now I didnt know about the tsb for the headlights. Im gonna get some of that 3m stuff. Sorry but where do they sell this "elbow grease"?
Old 10-28-2004, 07:27 PM
Losing Grip II

Originally posted by ROME
cool the rest of my "cents" are tied up in the car. Until now I didnt know about the tsb for the headlights. Im gonna get some of that 3m stuff.
good it works great, just be sure to rub kinda hard. just applying it and rubbing it off wont cut it.

john