Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clicking Noise in Rear... Premature Rear-end failure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Losing Grip II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Noise in Rear... Premature Rear-end failure?

well it was that time to replace the limited slip oil. unscrewed the screw, looked on the end of it and found quite a bit of metal shavings. i dont beleive this is normal. while i had that in my hand, i decided to see if i could determine where the "play" was coming from on my left rear axle, that is what is causing the "clicking" noise.

the play is coming directly from where the inner axle meets the limited slip. im not sure how worn or if that inner bearing has been destroyed due to the excessive amount of play. i was able to moved the inner axle quite a bit. when i tried to move the right axle it didnt move at all and actually the entire rear end assembly would move with me trying to move the right axle. whereas, the left axle would just move and leave the limited slip...still.

im going to bring up the metal shaving to nissan, but im sure that wont do anything without proof. hopefully i will be able to get them to at least inspect both that bearing and the inner components of the limited slip.

as for the fluids i used, i used 75w90 gear lube in the limited slip, 10w-40 motor oil in the tranny (equivilant to nissan spec tranny fluid. weird i know.) 20w-50 in the motor and changed out the power steeering fluid and coolant. i added reg. nissan coolant with Royal Purple's Purple ICE additive in it. all the fluids were replaced with Royal Purple fluids and next week i will be perfoming the brake fluid and clutch fluid changes.

ill keep u all posted on my findings.

john

ps. total mileage is 19,000
Old 11-03-2004, 06:31 AM
ricks350z

Default Re: Clicking Noise in Rear... Premature Rear-end failure?

Originally posted by Losing Grip II
well it was that time to replace the limited slip oil. unscrewed the screw, looked on the end of it and found quite a bit of metal shavings. i dont beleive this is normal. while i had that in my hand, i decided to see if i could determine where the "play" was coming from on my left rear axle, that is what is causing the "clicking" noise.

the play is coming directly from where the inner axle meets the limited slip. im not sure how worn or if that inner bearing has been destroyed due to the excessive amount of play. i was able to moved the inner axle quite a bit. when i tried to move the right axle it didnt move at all and actually the entire rear end assembly would move with me trying to move the right axle. whereas, the left axle would just move and leave the limited slip...still.

im going to bring up the metal shaving to nissan, but im sure that wont do anything without proof. hopefully i will be able to get them to at least inspect both that bearing and the inner components of the limited slip.

as for the fluids i used, i used 75w90 gear lube in the limited slip, 10w-40 motor oil in the tranny (equivilant to nissan spec tranny fluid. weird i know.) 20w-50 in the motor and changed out the power steeering fluid and coolant. i added reg. nissan coolant with Royal Purple's Purple ICE additive in it. all the fluids were replaced with Royal Purple fluids and next week i will be perfoming the brake fluid and clutch fluid changes.

ill keep u all posted on my findings.

john

ps. total mileage is 19,000

good luck there..

im planning on changing tranny and rear diff with royal again..sometime in feb 05 or earlier if need...

can u take pictures while doing these changing?
Old 11-05-2004, 06:10 AM
Losing Grip II

i already did them. what ahelp do you need? its a simple thing precedure.

john
Old 11-05-2004, 06:11 AM
Losing Grip II

Default Re: Re: Clicking Noise in Rear... Premature Rear-end failure?

Originally posted by ricks350z
good luck there..

im planning on changing tranny and rear diff with royal again..sometime in feb 05 or earlier if need...

can u take pictures while doing these changing?
+

again you said?

you obviously know how to do it then right?

john
Old 11-19-2004, 11:27 AM
kbiz

I have an 03 Z and have had a few issues along the way. It's now a little over 1.5 years old and I had a similar issue with the rear axles; they, or one of them, made a clank/click noise when in gear under load either forward or backwards... it sounded like there was a little slack in the hubs or something. After some time at the dealership, and several trips there... they continued to try to tighten the axle bolts which helped but soon the issue returned and finally they figured it out. There is a known issue where the axle shaft was just a bit too long, or the threads where threaded just a bit too short. Long story short, there was a fix kit which included new axles and a ton of parts to fix the issue... there was a lot of wear due to this issue so all of the assembly had to be replaced. Now there's no slack and no noise at all... If this is your issue, the slack could cause problems throughout. I had about 26k miles so it was more obvious by that point.