Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 10:10 PM
dchi_t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil consumption

hey guys, after changing my oil again, i lost about 1 1/2 gts of oil. last time was around the same. i only poured out 2 1/2 qts. is this normail? i dont usually do hard driving, ocasional only. is this serious enough to have the dealer take a look at it? maybe the engine is burning it off? maybe an oil cooler can help prevent oil consumption? thanks
Old 11-14-2004, 10:27 PM
dchi_t

Default Re: oil consumption

sorry i mean i lost 2 1/5 qts of oil. not 1 1/2. this is serious....should i call performance nissan? thats where i bought the car from

Originally posted by dchi_t
hey guys, after changing my oil again, i lost about 1 1/2 gts of oil. last time was around the same. i only poured out 2 1/2 qts. is this normail? i dont usually do hard driving, ocasional only. is this serious enough to have the dealer take a look at it? maybe the engine is burning it off? maybe an oil cooler can help prevent oil consumption? thanks
Old 11-15-2004, 06:12 AM
2003z

yeah, lots of people are having issues. bring it in, they should do a consumption test and if it fails, replace the short block. I would do the same if I didn't have FI, but I have to rebuild mine myself.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:54 PM
blinkygab

I have a '03 track and i had my short block assembly replaced a couple months ago. I was burning/losing about 1.5L per 1000 miles. The service person mentioned that NNA will probably not see the need to replace your engine if you are losing less than 1.0L per 1000 miles.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:04 PM
dchi_t

how exactly do they test it? do they tell me to come back after 1000 miles to do another test? well if im losing 2.5 qts withing a 3 month period, that certainly is a problem and i'll request for some kind of remedy for that problem because it can eventually get worse, and my car will be out of warranty by then.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:47 PM
blinkygab

i bought the car used, with 19k miles, and changed the oil immediately.

i took the car to the dealer for an oil change at 23k miles, and they only got half a quart of oil out of the engine, so they were concerned about oil consumption. they said they "marked" the oil and I should take the car back after 1000 miles for a test.

As a result, they found that my car was eating 1 1/2 quart of oil per 1000 miles, so NNA authorized a engine swap.

i refered to Liter of oil above, but what I really ment was "quarts" of oil.

have your dealership test your car. i see that you're in MPK. I grew up in MPK. I work in Santa Monica, so I took my car to santa monica nissan. They took care of me very well.
I've also heard the dealer in Torrance is pretty proactive about this problem as well.

good luck.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Mike552

Does anyone know why this is happening?
Is it happening on a certain production of blocks only?
Does anyone with an '04 have this problem?

****, I just traded my Mercedes in for this car because I was sick of the oil consumption issues I was having, life's a *****, eh?
Old 11-22-2004, 08:10 PM
dchi_t

some real F***ED **** happened. i dont know what to believe. but i took my car into the dealer where i bought it at "performance nissan" and had them take a look at it, and they tried to charge me $60 bux for an oil change because they claimed my drain plug was sumping saying i didnt install the drain plug washer correctly. of course i said no because i had just changed the oil myself a week prior. so long story short. they claimed they tightened the bolt, drove it around again, and again it was sumping. so i told them to bring it back to me i'll drain and refill the oil myself (free) and i'll put in the drain washer the way they told me. all this happend on thursday. so friday i had my car back. and i purposely drove the car harder than usual to and from work. and sat was the day when i decided to redo my oil change. expecting oil everywhere on my oil pan, turned out it was dry, so dry as there was no sign of oil spilage of any. so whats the deal w/ that? was performance lying to me? i know the great rep they have because they replaced my tranny w/ no questions asked as well as so many others. but this situation is giving me some doubts about their service dept's creditbility. thats why i asked, i dont know what to believe
Old 11-24-2004, 07:14 AM
Mike552

Well, you should state your concern that the car is burning oil. You should do this with the Service Manager ONLY. You should make sure that atthe initial meeting with the Service Manager, he will instruct someone (a shop foreman perhaps) to check and record the oil level and mileage. You should then make sure that you are provided with a work order that states the oil level and mileage. This is extremely important.
I would also come to an agreement with the SM on the first visit on the following:

1. At what rate must the oil consumption be, before anything can be done by NNA?
2. How many readings are required by the warranty department before they give the OK to rebuild the engine?
3. What is the minimum interval between readings? (Should be around 1000mi)
4. If you are approaching your warranty limit, I would suggest speaking directly to NNA AFTER your first visit with the SM, so they can see what you're talking to them about, but obviously before the warranty expires.
-Don't let them brush these questions off as unimportant, or don't let them tell you they don't know. Because they do. They're just really afraid of the NNA warranty department. They're afraid they might not get paid when they submit the claim. So they'll try brushing you off till the warranty expires.

--GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING--

I used to be a BMW mechanic and a Service Advisor for Mercedes. I've encountered this issue many times. It usually always turns out pretty ugly. I remember the 540i's when they first came out, they'd grenade at 20k. Same with the e320/ml320's. I walked away from German cars for this very same oil consumption reason. I can't believe it's happening to me again. WTF?!

Last edited by Mike552; 11-24-2004 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:28 PM
LaidbackRacr

Wow...How many people have had to have their engine rebuilt? Is it a large amount. Also how long is factory warranty? Does it transfer when sold or do you have to do something in writing to accomplish this?
Old 11-29-2004, 04:32 PM
dchi_t

hey thanks for the reply, but can you give me some idea on how the engine consumes oil? is it because the rings and seals werent able to seat in properly during break-in perioud? or the engine is just bad? would it help to revert back to dino oil since its thicker and supposely dino oil helps seal better? thanks

Originally posted by Mike552
Well, you should state your concern that the car is burning oil. You should do this with the Service Manager ONLY. You should make sure that atthe initial meeting with the Service Manager, he will instruct someone (a shop foreman perhaps) to check and record the oil level and mileage. You should then make sure that you are provided with a work order that states the oil level and mileage. This is extremely important.
I would also come to an agreement with the SM on the first visit on the following:

1. At what rate must the oil consumption be, before anything can be done by NNA?
2. How many readings are required by the warranty department before they give the OK to rebuild the engine?
3. What is the minimum interval between readings? (Should be around 1000mi)
4. If you are approaching your warranty limit, I would suggest speaking directly to NNA AFTER your first visit with the SM, so they can see what you're talking to them about, but obviously before the warranty expires.
-Don't let them brush these questions off as unimportant, or don't let them tell you they don't know. Because they do. They're just really afraid of the NNA warranty department. They're afraid they might not get paid when they submit the claim. So they'll try brushing you off till the warranty expires.

--GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING--

I used to be a BMW mechanic and a Service Advisor for Mercedes. I've encountered this issue many times. It usually always turns out pretty ugly. I remember the 540i's when they first came out, they'd grenade at 20k. Same with the e320/ml320's. I walked away from German cars for this very same oil consumption reason. I can't believe it's happening to me again. WTF?!
Old 11-29-2004, 04:43 PM
2003z

I did a leakdown test and determined my leakage is from the pistons/rings.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:46 PM
jasonbokamper

Hey Guys,

I have had the same oil issue ( 1 QT per 1K miles) for some time now. I am on my second oil consumption test from Nissan. The first test was documented incorrectly and mishandled by Nissan in Fremont, CA. Now I have moved on to Nissan in San Jose.

So in total, I just complted my 7th oil check. It should only take four to validate engine replacement, but as I stated, Fremont screwed me so I had to start over. Make sure your dealer documents it well for you!

I am consistently 1 quart low every 1K miles. Upon my next visit the dealer is going to request replacement from Nissan.

There are many of us with this issue, not only on this board. All those people that change their oil at 2500 or 3K miles may not be noticing the issue. I noticed when my oil light came on after 3500 miles from an oil change, and the dealer said the car had no oil in it.

I don't seem to hear complaining from any Maxima or Altima people, so I am guessing this is Z/G35 related only, probably due to whatever Nissan did to get the extra 20 or so HP. I'm no techie, so who knows...either way, it sucks. I couldn't drive from CA to New York today without running out of oil. That is crap for a new car. And due to this consumption test, I can't drive any further than 1K miles without going straight to the dealer, or I void the test.

Capital Nissan has been cool about it...but it is hard not to be a little pissed...

Good luck to all with this issue. It is definately a battle.

Jason
Old 11-30-2004, 08:06 AM
dchi_t

yes some f***ed up thing the dealer told me, when i discovered my oil consumption, i immediately schedualed and brought my car in for test (thursday). when i brougt the car in they told me they need to charge me $60 for an oil change? wtf? i just changed it a week prior! "no way" they said my drain bolt was sumping, so they tightened it, and drove the car around the block. lifted it up again and it was still sumping. they claimed i didnt use a washer or the correct torque to tighten the bolt (false). so i took the car back the same day. i took it back to redo my oil change. so friday i drove the car to and from work harder than usual. and on saturday, i started on the oil change redo, and what do u know? my drainbolt, oil pan, oil filter was dry! no sign of any oil sumping. so what the dealer told me was a crock of *hit. so now im just going to document it myself first and for my next oil change if im still buring so much oil, im going to pay the dealer to change my oil so they cant say i did it incorrectly. BS (performance nissan) i know they have a great rep for their service, willing to help, etc....but after this situation, i have doubts in the integrety of their service deptartment.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:51 AM
LaidbackRacr

Wow so now known Z problems:

Tire feathering

Oil Consumption

Tranny Issues

Yay...We have great cars...How long is factory warranty for anyhow?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:20 AM
jasonbokamper

Well, 3 years 36K....but I bought a 5 year 100K...lucky me. I'm already at 32K miles on my 2003....so the warranty will be paying off soon when they replace my engine.

Funny...I liked the Titan too, and when I asked the service guy about it, he said "we are still working out the bugs on that one."

Guess I won't be trading in for a Nissan anytime soon.

I did test drive the STI last week, and that thing is fast. I like the looks and even the wing, but it really does make you look like a teenager...

JB
Old 11-30-2004, 10:56 AM
dchi_t

yes i almost traded in my car for a sti or evo the other day, but after coming to my senses, i'll be getting raped by the dealer so bad w/ my 350z trade in value..so i changed my mind..maybe i'll get a sti or evo for my next car after i pay off this one
Old 11-30-2004, 11:40 AM
jasonbokamper

I agree, the trade in value is quite poor. Even on ebay, 350's are going for around 21K Buy It Now. Some punk *** kid is going to get a pretty decent car for 20K....hmmm, a Z or a civic? I wonder which one I would choose.

Oh well, when they find out it burns oil quicker than gas, they'll wish they bought the civic...hehehe.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:10 PM
LaidbackRacr

Originally posted by jasonbokamper
I agree, the trade in value is quite poor. Even on ebay, 350's are going for around 21K Buy It Now. Some punk *** kid is going to get a pretty decent car for 20K....hmmm, a Z or a civic? I wonder which one I would choose.

Oh well, when they find out it burns oil quicker than gas, they'll wish they bought the civic...hehehe.
LMAO...So true. I was hoping these cars would stay around 25k for the next few years to keep the 16 somethin's away. Thats all we need is some youngins with stick on hood pins and neons all over
Old 11-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Mike552

The MB 3.2L's had a harmonic crankshaft balancer "issue". I've also seen other MB engines create massive amounts of blowby dueto weak connecting rods, they would bend and start digging into the block, creating a cylinder that was out of round, or egg shaped.

Quick Reply: oil consumption