Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

picture request: black cars with metallic tint, not dyed tint

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:50 AM
topwriter2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picture request: black cars with metallic tint, not dyed tint

I am trying to decide if I should get metallic tint, specifically solar gard "titanium" in 35%. Metallic tint is more reflective than dyed tint and since my car is black, I am not sure if it is too reflective for a black car. Any pics appreciated!
Old 03-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Fluid1

ABORT ABORT

metallic tint...... this better be a joke.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:02 PM
MUZZY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you seriouse?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Peak350

If you want heat rejection get a ceramic. Diamond, Formula 1, and Huper Optik are 3 good brands, THEN you can get the good performance without the horrid look.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:28 PM
topwriter2

Most local tinters only have a dyed. Only 2 places that I've called even have a metallic. I don't want a "mirrored" look, so I am asking for pics to see if it is too bad.

Noone anywhere near me has ceramic tint...and I don't want someone trying out new tint for the 1st time on my car.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by topwriter2
Most local tinters only have a dyed. Only 2 places that I've called even have a metallic. I don't want a "mirrored" look, so I am asking for pics to see if it is too bad.

Noone anywhere near me has ceramic tint...and I don't want someone trying out new tint for the 1st time on my car.
Call around, SERIOUSLY. I'm driving an hour to have my car tinted with ceramic and I got referred by another tint shop. 2 local shops said they could get it and had, and I don't know that its necessarily harder. But the other shop is the same price and stocks it so I figured warranty would be easier to deal with that way.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:43 PM
jtabraham

Metalized tints are pretty common. There look pretty much the same as normal dyed polyester tint, but the metalic substrate does a better job of rejecting heat without the added darkness (metalized tint still comes in the same tint levels).

One thing to consider is that there are reports of people with metalized tints that have trouble with GPS reception....so if you currently have an in-car GPS receiver, you may want to stick with a standard film.

If you are close to Mass, there's a shop up in Springfield, MA that did mine. Quality job for about $110.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Playboy's Z

blashphemy metallic tint on a black car, haha. just playing dude, interesting idea hope it works out.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:30 PM
jtabraham

To alleviate confusion on metalized tint:

SPUTTERED FILM

Two-Ply Metallized Window Film with Metallized and UV Treated Film Layers

Sputtering technology is more complicated. Sputtering is also done in a vacuum chamber, but the metallizing is achieved at the atomic level. In brief, electromagnetic fields direct streams of ions from a chemically inert gas (usually argon) toward the metal. This ion bombardment, which is often described as "atomic billiards," causes groups of atoms to dislodge in small bursts and scatter uniformly across the film.

The practical benefits of sputtering are that 25 to 30 different metals can be used and the metallized coating is much lighter. It's possible to sputter metal in a layer one-hundredth the thickness of a human hair. Different metals are chosen to subtract specific bands of radiation from the solar spectrum. The result is a highly reflective layer with very little mirror effect, heat absorption or color shift. Because sputtering is more expensive, these films occupy the high end of the price range. Metallic films control radiation through reflectivity. Simplified film consists of polyester layers, metallic coating, adhesive and scratch-resistant coatings.

While the performance characteristics of dyed and metallic films are generally distinct, there is some overlap. Heat-absorbing dyed films are somewhat reflective, and metallic films do absorb some heat because of the mass and color of the metals involved.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:27 PM
topwriter2

Thanks, I called Mr tint of new england, very nice over the telephone and knew his stuff.

They were only about $10-20 more than other places and had the film that I wanted. The metallic reflectiveness of their metallic hybrid film is only 9%, compared to a normal dyed film, 7% reflection. It was important that the tint not have a "mirrored" look. And they had both 45% and 35%.

To put it in perspective, normal metallic films are about 12-13%....3 of the tint places I called never even heard of ceramic films. You would think that if it's your job to tint windows, you would know at least something about window tint in general.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:56 PM
jtabraham

Mr. Tint was good stuff. They finished my car in about an hour or two and it still looks perfect 7 months later.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Scarab440

Originally Posted by jtabraham
Mr. Tint was good stuff. They finished my car in about an hour or two and it still looks perfect 7 months later.
I paid a lot more and had it peel in the lower forward driverside window twice! now i need to get it don yet again! any idea how they kept it from happening on yours?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:10 PM
jtabraham

Originally Posted by Scarab440
I paid a lot more and had it peel in the lower forward driverside window twice! now i need to get it don yet again! any idea how they kept it from happening on yours?

I'm sure it has to do with the quality of the film they use, and whether or not they apply even pressure over the entire film. Mr. Tint was also adamant on me not washing or even touching the windows for at least three days. Aside from that, it has to be the level of experience of the tint applier.

Might as well make a trip out to west springfield now Jon and get it done right!