Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

Vandalism and garage break-in

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007 | 11:08 AM
Spork

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
No problem. When i was working down at the bodyshop, i helped my friend because his car was in the same situation. I sold his 06 headlights on here awhile back and the adjuster was very picky about the headlights being so expensive and had to look over the years just to make sure he wasn't making a false claim. Unfortunately, Nissan still have tons of the 03-05 lights. If they ran out of brand new 03-05 lights, insurance would have to get you the newest and latest lights that fit.

I don't believe you can get the 03-05 touring wheels anymore so you will most likely go by the 06-07 wheel prices (which is a good thing..lol).
I see. What happened to your friends?
On West Covina Nissan the OEM headlights read:
OEM Projector Headlamps 03-08 [Part#]

And I guess the wheels thing is a good thing.

I'm still extremely surprised that my windows weren't smashed in, there was no paint on the body except for some little dots of overspray, no scratches were on the car itself, and nothing was stolen. I'm really glad I locked my doors, otherwise my HU might be gone... and I know insurance wouldn't cover a HU that I put in.
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:14 AM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
I see. What happened to your friends?
On West Covina Nissan the OEM headlights read:
OEM Projector Headlamps 03-08 [Part#]

And I guess the wheels thing is a good thing.

I'm still extremely surprised that my windows weren't smashed in, there was no paint on the body except for some little dots of overspray, no scratches were on the car itself, and nothing was stolen. I'm really glad I locked my doors, otherwise my HU might be gone... and I know insurance wouldn't cover a HU that I put in.
Yeah, make sure you don't tell the insurance you want the newer headlights/tail lights. There would be something really fishy about that to them because all of the damage is in the head lights/tail lights and rims...people could make a fraudulent claims just to get newer stuff. We see this down at the bodyshop all the time. We knew some of the people who brought their so called "vandalized" car in and it's messed up in just the right places to get to come out having a much nicer car. The damage would be around 4-5k in parts, paint, labor and their deductible would be only 250-500..so basically getting a whole nicer car(new aftermarket rims, new paint, new headlights and tails, new leather seats) for 500 bucks. Not saying you are lying, i just know a lot of insurance companies would definitely have an investigation of some sort. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:16 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?
Premier Member

Originally Posted by davidv
Talk with the kids in the neighbourhood, and offer a cash reward. Kids will brag about the vandalism.
+1... I might wait a few days before asking though. Let them feel comfortable about telling other people and let the word get out. If they know you are asking around they might actually shut up and not tell anyone.

Anyone want to throw start a pot for the cash reward?
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:19 AM
2TH PWR

Wow, very interesting specific damage with very little colateral.
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:22 AM
Spork

Yeah, make sure you don't tell the insurance you want the newer headlights/tail lights. There would be something really fishy about that to them because all of the damage is in the head lights/tail lights and rims...people could make a fraudulent claims just to get newer stuff. We see this down at the bodyshop all the time. We knew some of the people who brought their so called "vandalized" car in and it's messed up in just the right places to get to come out having a much nicer car. The damage would be around 4-5k in parts, paint, labor and their deductible would be only 250-500..so basically getting a whole nicer car(new aftermarket rims, new paint, new headlights and tails, new leather seats) for 500 bucks. Not saying you are lying, i just know a lot of insurance companies would definitely have an investigation of some sort. Good luck.
I know exactly what you're talking about. Me and my dad were talking about this and how it was strange that they only targeted specific areas. It's almost like they cared about my car enough that they didn't want to damage the entire thing. I'm confused with this. Is it bad to wish that they would have scratched my entire side so I could get the key mark taken care of too? Unfortunately, even after getting restored back to it's original state it'll still have the keyed drivers door. And to think I just bought a new pair of Sylvania Silverstar H7 bulbs for my high beams...

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
+1... I might wait a few days before asking though. Let them feel comfortable about telling other people and let the word get out. If they know you are asking around they might actually shut up and not tell anyone.

Anyone want to throw start a pot for the cash reward?
Yeah I'm not even telling anyone about this. If the kids brag, other people will know. And how would other people know if I never told anyone to begin with? I'm hoping this turns up.
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:22 AM
Glasgow Smile
dat title
Premier Member

It takes a special kind of ***** to mess with someone's car.

I hate it happened, on the plus side like you said. No bad body vandalism?
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:23 AM
Spork

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
Wow, very interesting specific damage with very little colateral.
Indeed. The only other damage spots are on the front bumper where some paint has dripped onto or been sprayed on. Little bit on the hood and fender as well.
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:25 AM
davidv

There really aren't any kids in my neighborhood. And it seems people around here can keep quiet pretty well as I still haven't heard who keyed my door a couple months ago.

Quick question. I'm gathering quotes for the replacement parts, and the wheels has me puzzled. The Nismo 19" wheels are cheaper than stock 18" touring wheels... Would insurance rather do these instead or do they strictly do whatever was on the vehicle? Or is it simply a decision by the insurance person.
Is your insurance company asking you to collect prices? Or do they want to see an estimate from a professional?
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:26 AM
Spork

Originally Posted by davidv
Is your insurance company asking you to collect prices? Or do they want to see an estimate from a professional?
As far as I know, I'm supposed to collect the prices from Nissan dealerships or Nissan verified stores. The tires are from wherever I purchased them from in the first place, which was Tire Rack.
I printed off the actual totals and everything.

West Covina Nissan is an actual dealership right?
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:26 AM
SuperBlack350z

I know exactly what you're talking about. Me and my dad were talking about this and how it was strange that they only targeted specific areas. It's almost like they cared about my car enough that they didn't want to damage the entire thing. I'm confused with this. Is it bad to wish that they would have scratched my entire side so I could get the key mark taken care of too? Unfortunately, even after getting restored back to it's original state it'll still have the keyed drivers door. And to think I just bought a new pair of Sylvania Silverstar H7 bulbs for my high beams...

lol, well if you didn't make a police report with the key marking, you can't get it fixed now.
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:27 AM
aDDandrew

Can't the police find some finger prints on the spray can or the scissors? Or would that be too much trouble for the lazy polices.
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:28 AM
2TH PWR

Indeed. The only other damage spots are on the front bumper where some paint has dripped onto or been sprayed on. Little bit on the hood and fender as well.
What would be the motive of the vandalizer to limit damage to these parts?
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:28 AM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by aDDandrew
Can't the police find some finger prints on the spray can or the scissors? Or would that be too much trouble for the lazy polices.
You can request that but usually it's worthless.
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:29 AM
Advent7

If your headlights weren't scratched up then I would recommend this lacquer thinner we use to get paint off when I detail vehicles but man that sucks.

Goodluck with the restoration if I caught the ***** that did that, I would drop him off in the middle of nowhere except with a can of paint and the scissors and tell him to survive.
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:30 AM
Spork

lol, well if you didn't make a police report with the key marking, you can't get it fixed now.
We did, and the insurance company knows about it. I thought it'd be a better thing to wait now until spring to get my door fixed. I wouldn't want it to happen where my car would be ready to go and there's snow and ice on the roads.

More info, could mean something. Drove the car and parked it around 4:00pm for the night. Around 9-10 my dog was in the kitchen growling, looking out the sliding door. The motion light on our rear deck was on. I turned off all the inside lights just in case anyone was looking to break in. My mom then asks me to go lock her car doors because she left them unlocked because she was going to run to the store. Went outside, locked the doors, walked around the house to inspect anything suspicious, but everything seemed fine.

Last edited by Spork; 11-18-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:32 AM
Spork

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
What would be the motive of the vandalizer to limit damage to these parts?
Don't know if it'd really make someone mad, but my parking lights are red leds and i have them on whenever I just park and wait for someone, and my rear tails are tinted with overlays. Spots that I took pride in doing myself. Not much I know, but it makes me feel good whenever I do something.

As for the wheels, I have no idea. The tires were just about brand new however.
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:32 AM
davidv

Me and my dad were talking about this and how it was strange that they only targeted specific areas. It's almost like they cared about my car enough that they didn't want to damage the entire thing. I'm confused with this.
Its not the work of a common vandal. Vandals want to hit and run. They want to get away fast. This is breaking and entering and vandalism.

Well I supposed that what is in the mind of a punk vandal doesn't matter.
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:34 AM
Spork

Originally Posted by Advent7
If your headlights weren't scratched up then I would recommend this lacquer thinner we use to get paint off when I detail vehicles but man that sucks.

Goodluck with the restoration if I caught the ***** that did that, I would drop him off in the middle of nowhere except with a can of paint and the scissors and tell him to survive.
They were scratched. I've already tried acetone and lacquer thinner, but all it does it show me the scratches that are underneath the paint... I'd rather not continue.
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:35 AM
SuperBlack350z

Silverstone-Z, make sure what i told you. Don't bring up the newer headlights and tail lights to the insurance. You really don't want any type of investigation. I hope you had some tread on those tires as well. Because it would look way to shady.

So the insurance lets you find your own prices? That seems odd. Usually they let some sort of bodyshop get the exact pricing for you. Bodyshops get discounted authentic items from the dealers. They usually also replace everything for you as well.

Yeah, just wait for to fix the door. No biggie.
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:37 AM
Spork

Silverstone-Z, make sure what i told you. Don't bring up the newer headlights and tail lights to the insurance. You really don't want any type of investigation. I hope you had some tread on those tires as well. Because it would look way to shady.

So the insurance lets you find your own prices? That seems odd. Usually they let some sort of bodyshop get the exact pricing for you. Bodyshops get discounted authentic items from the dealers. They usually also replace everything for you as well.

Yeah, just wait for to fix the door. No biggie.
Alrighty. I know what you mean on the headlights, but I just added the only pair of OEM headlights that West Covina Nissan had.

And the tires were basically brand new. Little over 800 miles probably with no wheelspin or aggressive driving. Potenza RE050A PP's.

Just to make sure. West Covina Nissan is a real dealership?

Quick Reply: Vandalism and garage break-in