Ultimate Street Car Challenge 2008

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sea Bass
I read the mag today before opening this thread, so I wouldn't have the results spoiled. Hell, I even put all the scores into a spreadsheet so I could watch the progress through each competition and see how well the cars were faring. I'm such a nerd.
haha. r u serious? thats cool..

i wish they did a proper scoring break down of some of the subjective tests...
Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 AM
ljag89l

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang u see that chic? was she asian mmm mmm mmm
Old 10-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Busted*Shox

Thats awesome
Old 10-29-2008, 05:53 PM
stuntman

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chebosto
Day 2.

The day started off with the Skidpad.. Billy Johnson, my driver is used to running slightly lower PSI in the tires and likes it to be a little bit rolly.. unfortunately Andy, who was doing the skid pad tests.. didn’t give it a little bit more gas for the rear to rotate over.. and my skid pad score suffered a little bit.. doh. The EvoX was amazing. That thing was seriously sticking like glue… maybe if I had setup the suspension dampening a little bit better and adjusted the toe settings prior, we would have been ok. So the X got closer..

With no testing time on the brand new suspension setup (which we later found out had a huge understeer problem), it was difficult to set the car up/know the magnitude of the problem without actually driving the car. We did the best we could

Billy couldn’t launch the Z w/o serious wheel spin, so as a result our quarter times were pretty bad. (plus it didn’t help that 2->3rd gear shift wasn’t happening .. could it be the grind issue just so wanted to start happening during a competition? TEH LOSE.) Braking on the other hand was pretty nice.. the super sticky R888, my 6 pot ST-60 Stoptechs and Hawk brake pads helped me with some pretty good 80-0 stops…the driver (mag editor) said it felt pretty good. We kept ABS on for this test and the results show’d. The Evo X got 2nd and I got 2nd to last on the quarter… for braking, even though I got 2nd, the X was right behind me..
The launch wasn't that big of an issue, the bigger problem was the problematic 2-3rd gear shift (SSKs = no bueno). Stoptech's worked flawlessly!

After the brake test, everyone boned out to Willow Springs for the track event.. by the time we got there, it was high heat and blaring sun.. We’d only have 30 minutes of testing, and the only thing holding us back was Billy had about.. oh.. 15 minutes of seat time in the Z… So after 2 laps of practice, he pulled into the pits saying “it understeers too much” so we jacked up the car, messed with the dampening settings and off he went… another lap later he comes in, and says “its still understeering” so we adjust the sway bar settings.. but I noticed that my rear wheels theres all this aluminum shavings everywhere.. turns out a rock got jammed between the caliper and wheel and started shaving off the metal. Yikes.. we did a walk around and found out three of the 4 wheels had rocks stuck between the calipers and wheel barrel.. damn. So much for my RE30s..
We had to take the wheels off and reseat them.. all the whiles still adjusting the dampening/rebound settings and toe settings for the car.. by the time we had everything done, time for practice was up, and we weren’t allowed back onto the track. %@#%

So in a sense.. Billy only had 3 laps in the Z before we had to run for score. When it was time for us to run. We were given 5 total laps to get best times.. Billy cranked out a 1:25.7 his first time out, and did a cool down 2nd lap, then for the third lap, really did his best and got a 1:25.3. Again he did a cool down lap, and for the 5th and final lap, he went back up slightly and I had timed him at a 1:25.5.. I guess some where after the two turns, he slightly went wide and my under panel got stuck and folded over backward. So we lost the smooth airflow under the car.. did it affect the time? I dunno. But he didn’t beat his 3rd lap time… 2nd to go up was the Evo X.. on the 5th and final lap, he pulled a 1:25.5, and we happy we had won the track battle…

3 laps were more than enough to set the car up to be able to win. If we had the full 30 minutes (with the baseline of what we ended up with), we could have gone even faster!

-Thanks Cheston for the opportunity to represent yourself and Technosquare/KW/and everyone else.

Last edited by stuntman; 10-29-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Beka Z
Banned

i read the article in the airport in houston. was glad to see your car did so well in most categories! congrats on the coverage and placing.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:57 PM
plastiketa

Congrats Cheston! 10 point difference is nothing!

What's the most amazing thing? YOU BEAT OUT A GT-R!!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:26 PM
350GT__Boy

I'll definitely have to pick up this issue as well to read. 23 pages?!?!?! Congrats for placing 2nd! Your car looks gorgeous when parked next to every other tested car there.

PS: and that Jackie girl.........DAAYYYAAMMMM HAWT!!!
Old 10-31-2008, 07:29 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by stuntman
-Thanks Cheston for the opportunity to represent yourself and Technosquare/KW/and everyone else.
Hey Billy-

no, seriously THANK YOU for taking my car to heights i never imagined.. i just provided the tool, you built the house with it

--Cheston
Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Congrats Cheston.

I saw your car (in-person) for the first time a few weeks ago at the Performance garage sale, and it's a good looking show-quality build.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Although the magazine is now gone forever, Sportcompact Car Web is still up and they finally put up the results on the USCC online.

check it out:

sportcompactcarweb.com/features/index.html

Last edited by Chebosto; 01-09-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:10 AM
fallenromeo

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

uhhhh...those links don't work. The site must be down now.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was really sad to see SCC go down.