Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

finalforce's JDM Interlagos Fire

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:06 AM
finalforce

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I could see your point and I agree with the V1 Ichiba's being stronger and safer. I don't DD mine so I do tend to drive her hard when the freeway is clear. I better be safe than sorry Thanks for the tips!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 PM
brandon3434

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No prob man, its gonna look sick!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Toby-22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go for kicks for the name...but theyre both of equal quality imo. I've owned every size they make even 38mm lol.

i suggest 10mm, it should fit perfectly.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Toby-22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw i dont think ichiba comes with a 10mm with built in studs only kics? go with built in studs, if installed correctly (which i know you will) they wont come loose like some did
Old 02-04-2011, 04:33 PM
jemeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had a pair of 10mm and 20mm kics spacers and as long as they are put on correctly there will be zero issues. loved mine, no weird vibrations no problems.

and does your z have to "dust her feet" before she rolls into the garage? the floor is too clean...

keep up the clean job!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:38 PM
finalforce

Originally Posted by Toby-22
btw i dont think ichiba comes with a 10mm with built in studs only kics? go with built in studs, if installed correctly (which i know you will) they wont come loose like some did
Yup it does come in 10mm, but the studs are extended and are separate from the spacer. The lowest size that has the stud and spacer together is 15mm and its only available like this in version 2.

Originally Posted by jemeister
i've had a pair of 10mm and 20mm kics spacers and as long as they are put on correctly there will be zero issues. loved mine, no weird vibrations no problems.

and does your z have to "dust her feet" before she rolls into the garage? the floor is too clean...

keep up the clean job!

The only thing I can think of is to hand tighten them to align the holes properly then torque them down to 75lbs all around. Would I have to add lock tight? I'd like to use the Project Kics 10mm spacers as much as possible, I just want to ensure that they are a safe bet. When I take her out and I'm going fast, the last thing on my mind I want is to worry about loose spacers that's why I was thinking of going with the extended ones (version 1) from Ichiba. Other than that I really want the Project Kics.

As for my garage, its pretty easy to maintain because I don't drive my Z in the rain, dirt, grass, etc. All I do is sweep it and occassionally spray simple green in the areas that make hot tire marks and wipe away. Other than that it stays almost as clean as my tiles inside
Old 02-04-2011, 11:21 PM
jemeister

i've taken my spacers off and put them back on countless times. i usually slip them on and screw the bolts on little by little in a "star" motion... patiently i move from tightening them with my fingers to just the key/socket then with a smaller ratchet before moving to a torque wrench... when i get to the torque wrench i usually go from 30, 60, then finally 80 after each round of 5 bolts... also making sure wrench is at a proper 90 degree angle at all times making sure i'm not in the process of "weakening" or breaking anything off while tightening them down. also, i've never used loctite on them.

i might be paranoid but i think it kinda gives it a better "seal"... whether it's actually a waste of time i'm not too sure but like you, i'm worried about my wheels flying off after watching that rx7 video a long time ago haha (spacers weren't to blame for that but it's just the thought of wheels flying off)...

but regardless, i've tracked with them on a couple of occasions and they have been problem free 24/7... for me at least.

how about your other cars? they don't seem to bring in dirt and other stuff either haha...

Last edited by jemeister; 02-04-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:30 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=finalforce;8942416]Yup it does come in 10mm, but the studs are extended and are separate from the spacer. The lowest size that has the stud and spacer together is 15mm and its only available like this in version 2.

[QUOTE]

Actually project kics do come in a 10mm extended studs built in. They are high quality. you can tell the 10mm are built a lot tougher than the bigger sizes, i'm guessing it has to be stronger since the spacer is so thin. I had this before and currently toby22 has it now on his ride.

Originally Posted by Toby-22
go for kicks for the name...but theyre both of equal quality imo. I've owned every size they make even 38mm lol.

i suggest 10mm, it should fit perfectly.

listen to this guy. he seriously has owned every size, and almost every brand spacers you can think of. it's pretty safe and he doesn't baby his car as much as you do. i think you would be good.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:33 AM
finalforce

Originally Posted by jemeister
i've taken my spacers off and put them back on countless times. i usually slip them on and screw the bolts on little by little in a "star" motion... patiently i move from tightening them with my fingers to just the key/socket then with a smaller ratchet before moving to a torque wrench... when i get to the torque wrench i usually go from 30, 60, then finally 80 after each round of 5 bolts... also making sure wrench is at a proper 90 degree angle at all times making sure i'm not in the process of "weakening" or breaking anything off while tightening them down. also, i've never used loctite on them.

i might be paranoid but i think it kinda gives it a better "seal"... whether it's actually a waste of time i'm not too sure but like you, i'm worried about my wheels flying off after watching that rx7 video a long time ago haha (spacers weren't to blame for that but it's just the thought of wheels flying off)...

but regardless, i've tracked with them on a couple of occasions and they have been problem free 24/7... for me at least.

how about your other cars? they don't seem to bring in dirt and other stuff either haha...

Those are some good tips! The same direction I was going, just more steps I've actually experienced driving and having my front wheel come off that's why I'm a bit concerned about safety. It wasn't about spacers, my studs gave out and it was a good thing I was almost home. It freaked me out when it came off as my front took a nose dive. All I could feel was the harsh pavement and rash noise my car was making grinding the asphalt. This was way back in high school and that's where I experienced most of my woes with cars. I was given a hand me down AE92 Corolla and the motor seized which is when I did my very first engine swap. I've been through a lot of ups and downs with cars so I'm trying to avoid any with my 350z.....hopefully.

As for other cars getting dirty, I usually just back the cars out and sweep the floor. Go to an Asian store where they have those long bristled soft brooms and it makes for a very easy, fast sweep. There's also those occasional times when it rains and my cars leave the dirty tire marks, but I have a bottle of water mixed with a little car soap that I keep handy for touch up cleaning. For the tougher spills, just spray some simple green and wipe.....that's it

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
listen to this guy. he seriously has owned every size, and almost every brand spacers you can think of. it's pretty safe and he doesn't baby his car as much as you do. i think you would be good.

Sounds good

Last edited by finalforce; 02-05-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 PM
finalforce

Came home this evening and this was waiting for me at my front door

Old 02-16-2011, 05:55 PM
finalforce

Alright, back to the drawing board with my spacers. I tried them on and to my misfortune, the inserts where my original studs are suppose to sit don't allow enough room for the original studs to sit flush therefore the studs are pressing against my wheel hub. I can no longer use these with my GT-F's

For you spacer pros, let me know if this is safe. I tried combining my 5mm and 3mm to push my wheels out and to my surprise the fitment was "exactly" how I wanted it to look. I was able to make about four to four and a half full revolutions when I tighten them all around. My question, is that enough and/or safe? I haven't driven it yet so hopefully some of you guys with experience can chime in with your input.

* BTW, I listed them for sale below on the link

Project Kics 10mm spacer (pair-BNIB!)
Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 PM
brandon3434

Should have went with the V1s...

I would honestly just get longer bolts if you wanna keep those spacers to be safe...It's a small price to pay for safety...
Old 02-16-2011, 06:33 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

+1 I wouldn't compound on spacers like that, especially without hub centric rings. It might work, but it's not safe.

I was personally looking at Project Kics V2 spacers myself, until somebody pointed out the lack of hub centric rings. While those aren't necessary, it does help keep the wheel (and spacers) centered, reducing the chance of vibration. I ended up deciding on the Ichiba V2 spacers with built-in hub rings.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 PM
young Jee(Z)

i miss your old wheels. so much cleaner.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 PM
finalforce

Originally Posted by brandon3434
Should have went with the V1s...

I would honestly just get longer bolts if you wanna keep those spacers to be safe...It's a small price to pay for safety...

I should have went with your advice in the first place.....it was even a cheaper route

Once I sell my Project Kics, I will go with Ichiba V1's
Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 PM
finalforce

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
+1 I wouldn't compound on spacers like that, especially without hub centric rings. It might work, but it's not safe.

I was personally looking at Project Kics V2 spacers myself, until somebody pointed out the lack of hub centric rings. While those aren't necessary, it does help keep the wheel (and spacers) centered, reducing the chance of vibration. I ended up deciding on the Ichiba V2 spacers with built-in hub rings.

I wish it could work this way, it sits perfect right now. Either way, I'm going to take them off and get the longer studs.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:58 AM
TheDangerZone

Should've gotten these. The spacers are hubcentric. http://www.more-japan.com/fic-wheel-spacers/
http://www.more-japan.com/files/d_5817.jpg

Btw, you used to have SSRs, did you see the new finish that they offer? it was posted on their facebook page.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM
finalforce

I still wouldn't be able to use those spacers. My wheels don't allow much backing for the studs. If I were to go with that design, the lowest I could go is probably 20mm which is way too much for me. As for the new finish with the SSR's they look good, but the reason I bought new wheels is to try something entirely different. I wanted to stay away from a fat five design and step lip.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:30 PM
brandon3434

Can't wait to see how the stance will look, 10mm more will be perfect!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:56 PM
finalforce

Yup, right now with the 8mm (stacked) it looks just about right. 10mm will make it "perfect" I will then take the 5mm in the rear and apply it up front to replace the current 3mm spacer. I'm just not looking forward to taking out my OEM studs. Its not hard, I'm just lazy, lol.

Quick Reply: finalforce's JDM Interlagos Fire