Brake pad FAIL....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 PM
djtimodj

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake pad FAIL....

Fun day today!

Busy busy busy but still always time to sneak in a few mins to mod the zed

Over the past few weeks the cars been making an intermittent scraping noise, coming from the rear brakes. My first thought was Its just worn out pads. I checked the back pads quick a while ago with the wheels still on looking at the outside pads which had meat left on them.

I have been running Performance Friction carbon metalic pads for a good while now and over the past 6 months I have felt like the braking "feel" was getting worse and worse.

I ordered a set of OEM+ Brembo pads from Zmanalex as I loved the PF pads when they were hot but cold they felt dead and some times caught me out after driving the megane as they sort of "don't work at all" the first time you touch the brakes lol....

Sooooo as the sun was shining and the zed has to make the trip down to JapFest soon I got on with swapping out the pads for some nice fresh ones with aftermarket heat/noise shims.

Got him up in the air

Still looking clean on the KW's after all these years! Great quality kit IMHO..

Started with the rears, out side pads came out looking good.

Pic of all the OUTSIDE pads from all four corners.

Now TAKE A LOOK AT THESE!!!! These are the inside pads from all four corners!!!

The friction surface of the pads has disintegrated! The rear driverside backing plate has a small nick in the metal where it has touched the disc (making the noise) but the rest still had chunks of lose pad material floating about between the backing plate and disc!! All the pistons look fine and move in and out smoothly so non are sticking.

I think these have just been over heated badly as I have had a few occasions where I've had a fair bit of smoke coming from the brakes (normally this smoke is just a little bit of tire rubber that has hit the disc and gone on fire though :bleh

Well this afternoon I cleaned up the coilovers quickly and refitted the new pads and then went out to bed them in.

Braking feel is far better with quicker cold bite and they look like the pads will have some good stopping power when fully bedded in. Im not expecting these to handle track abuse to well but for the most part these are nice pads

Just need some time to give the car a good wash before japfest now!

Oh and a few "arty" instagram pics as this is my new fav app!

:bleh: :bleh: