Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

Some detail painting for BigBlue

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 AM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

My Son was visiting me for a few days and he wanted to Plasitdip some emblems on his Mazda 3; it was so easy, looked good and cost about $6.50 for a can of black. It turned out great, so he said, "let's do your car Dad", well so it happened and I like the results! This stuff is a piece of cake to use and, my "red" accent colors are gone, hopefully the new look will make some of you guys happy; I am haha!

*did f+r emblems, side 2 emblems, door handles, front 2 louvers. Some things were already smoked out plus gloss black front lip.

pics of the '12 Mazda (did front, rear emblems that were silver):

On to the '07 Z *(today is was raining, cloudy day so some glare with sun trying to break through):

Last edited by BigBlue; 08-23-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

looks twenty million x better
Old 08-23-2013, 12:52 PM
BigBlue

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
looks twenty million x better
Thanks Bmurray! I agree; it's a lot of black, but against the smb color it still has a nice contrast.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

To be honest, I think the stock silver looks best. But the black looks good.. and what matters is that the red is gone. Lol.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:52 PM
colaito

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes!. Definitely better
Old 08-24-2013, 10:10 PM
E.Rod84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue
My Son was visiting me for a few days and he wanted to Plasitdip some emblems on his Mazda 3; it was so easy, looked good and cost about $6.50 for a can of black. It turned out great, so he said, "let's do your car Dad", well so it happened and I like the results! This stuff is a piece of cake to use and, my "red" accent colors are gone, hopefully the new look will make some of you guys happy; I am haha!

*did f+r emblems, side 2 emblems, door handles, front 2 louvers. Some things were already smoked out plus gloss black front lip.

pics of the '12 Mazda (did front, rear emblems that were silver):

On to the '07 Z *(today is was raining, cloudy day so some glare with sun trying to break through):

Congrats! The Z looks amazing (now that the red is gone). How hard was it to dip the door handles? After seeing your results I'm seriously considering it too.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:48 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

^ Why you quote all the pics again?! Newb FTL.

As much as I'm anti-Plastidip now, it looks way better now.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:29 PM
BigBlue

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
^ Why you quote all the pics again?! Newb FTL.

As much as I'm anti-Plastidip now, it looks way better now.
Thanks Sparco! Yeah, once my Son and I got going on his car I realized how good it turned out on his and how easy it was to do for a few bucks. Now I can understand why so many people are using it even if just for some little detail items, but reasonable for guys with smaller budget; can always be peeled off/new color, etc.

Last edited by BigBlue; 08-30-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:56 PM
BigBlue

Originally Posted by E.Rod84
Congrats! The Z looks amazing (now that the red is gone). How hard was it to dip the door handles? After seeing your results I'm seriously considering it too.
Thanks. We thought about the handles a bit beforehand and saved 'em for last; decided to do it in two procedures. First was handle "open"; I just folded up a napkin until it was a tight little square and stuffed it under the inside of bottom of handle (put in middle on second one) in out of way spot but keeps handle open, sprayed all of inside, plus took advantage of doing a couple of coats to main outside areas (you are supposed to do 4-5 coats; makes peeling the rest of it easy to peel off as opposed to 1 or 2 coats). We did those inside coats, 100 degree day in shade so just waited 15 min. (one beer haha) between coats. It dries to touch fast, just pulled out the paper thing and sprayed that little unnoticable section, shut handle, then a couple more coats to entire outside of handle, wait a half hour or so, then peel off the tape and the extra P-dip. *my front 2 louvers come off in less than a minute; I hung the pieces with tie wire, from a tree and that made easy work; no tape, etc.

I'm sure there are a thousand diy vids. out there by now, but I learned alot about how to use this in a few minutes and would be glad to give you or anyone some easy/better basic tips. Some of those vids are way over done; I wish I had known about this because I paid for some nice pro. painting that is now PD'd black haha! *I recommend doing it all in shade. Also, I covered my car with that real cheap thin plastic just in case and just tore open holes (taped them open) for doing any emblem/handle that aready had about 4" wide of painter's or frog tape around the item, just went around each time doing a coat on each of 4 emblems and the louvers, when all done focused on handles and that was that; any over spray no worries (still I masked the crap out of it), this isn't like paint droplets; comes off easy, saw a little section of black spray on my Son's white car, it was dry and it wiped off easy. Also, wash your car before, dry and I just used some denatured alcohol to wipe down what is going to get sprayed to get any old layers of wax, etc. off.

Last edited by BigBlue; 08-25-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:48 PM
lolsupfoo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try again ***** sucka.