Notices

EVENT #6 VQ AutoCross Championship @ TMS 7/9

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 05:08 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ezpotato
it's more about the driver and not the car.... chris and gavin are phenomenal drivers.
^^^^^^ Thanks Emad....but Gavin & Scott ( SteidZ ) is the one('s) to beat...I always based my performance on their times.

Originally Posted by ppat1989
FUG YOU!!!!!!! I'm still bitter about that. I try to be a stand up guy and help Gavin out and he may as well have rammed my car up my a$$ lol. On the bright side, it helped show me what my car was capable if at the time. Now I'm really curious to see what it can do with the coils.
Pat....I'm sure the coils will be a big improvement....I hope your times are up to your standards.

Just like my Sways....I felt a huge difference in cornering. I'm sure your Coils will be a big help. Keep up the good driving....just remember that you still have some changes to help your driving style and ability....so drive the best for your cars ability.....seat time will only help your cause !

Originally Posted by StuLax18
SN - Name - Car # - Driver - VQ Champ. - PotLuck
1. Ppat1989 - Patrick - #4 - Driving - Yes - brownies and hot dogs
2. PhGit - Shawn - #? - Driving - Yes - chips, mustard, plates, paper towels
3. GWord256 - Gavin - #256 - Driving - Yes - Gatorade @ Water
4. Ezpotato - Emad - #3 - Driving - Yes - cokes, ice, nuggets
5. SteidZ - Scott - #17 I pick up the grill from Chris
6. SmokersMagee - Adam - #79 - Driving - Yes - hot dog buns, chips
7. StuLax18 - Stuart - #18 - Driving - Extra ice chest, paper towels
8. Fithamoto - Absent : ( - Not driving : ( - Missing out !

Last edited by fithamoto; 06-23-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:51 PM
PhGit

Hey guys... sorry I've been missing from the action but I've been gone the past 8 days and just got back... and was gone the weekend before.

Scott - I can grab Chris' grill easy... we live about a mile apart. Chris - let me know, anytime.

I'm all registered.

Also, unrelated but I'll throw it here just cause... if anyone wants to get in on group tune deal by Steve Kahn (I think I'm spelling that right) in Lewisville let me know or look for a thread that may be on here now by SexyRob (I haven't looked yet but I think he posted about it). $600 for a pro dyno tune with Osiris. That's a savings of at least $200.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:00 PM
PhGit

^^ Haha... I just found Rob's thread. I figured some of you would be interested in that. No surprise to see some of you already on it. Just to be complete, here's the link:
https://my350z.com/forum/texas/52731...st-thread.html
Old 06-26-2011, 11:48 AM
steidz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhGit
Hey guys... sorry I've been missing from the action but I've been gone the past 8 days and just got back... and was gone the weekend before.

Scott - I can grab Chris' grill easy... we live about a mile apart. Chris - let me know, anytime.

I'm all registered.

Also, unrelated but I'll throw it here just cause... if anyone wants to get in on group tune deal by Steve Kahn (I think I'm spelling that right) in Lewisville let me know or look for a thread that may be on here now by SexyRob (I haven't looked yet but I think he posted about it). $600 for a pro dyno tune with Osiris. That's a savings of at least $200.
Hey Shawn, I just got back from getting the grill from Chris. Thanks for the offer, maybe ill let you bring it back.

And

Does anyone have a tent we can use???
Old 06-26-2011, 02:22 PM
ppat1989
Professional

Wal Mart has a nice canopy there for like $80. I was going to get it but I just dont have the extra funding right now to buy it. If anyone wants to go get that one we would all greatly appreciate it
Old 06-26-2011, 03:01 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Why don't we try to get our own Chapter started in the DFW area like those BMW, Miata, S2K, and Porsche peeps ?

Then we can have a fund set aside for the club and buy stuff like this. We can get all the G's & Z's together and have a chapter with dues and fees....then we might be able to host our own Venue. Start designing courses and what not ?

And even create our own rules....like Fithamoto get's a 3 sec. lead on Gavin & Scott ! and is immune to all cone penalties !
Old 06-26-2011, 05:08 PM
steidz

Originally Posted by fithamoto
Why don't we try to get our own Chapter started in the DFW area like those BMW, Miata, S2K, and Porsche peeps ?

Then we can have a fund set aside for the club and buy stuff like this. We can get all the G's & Z's together and have a chapter with dues and fees....then we might be able to host our own Venue. Start designing courses and what not ?

And even create our own rules....like Fithamoto get's a 3 sec. lead on Gavin & Scott ! and is immune to all cone penalties !
I'll give you the three seconds and the cones but you have to drive backwards, that new diff should work in either direction so I dont see any problems for you.

And I would like to nominate Chris for Prez. A great guy, well spoken and full of good ideas! oh and he owns the grill too....
Old 06-26-2011, 08:36 PM
ezpotato

i wondered about this a few weeks back, how awesome it would be to start one like that. of course start small, but most of us would be able to participate, and I know i would be down.... how would we even start this process? There are a couple g's i think that registered for this next event... so we will see.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:07 PM
ppat1989
Professional

Originally Posted by fithamoto

Chris, you and I have talked about this before lol I dont know why we never really brought it up with the rest of the group to get some more inout and ideas and see who would be interested.

It's not a bad idea at all. We already have a decent sized group of "regulars" to get started I would think.

We should also have a rule for me that says that if im able to take out 5 or more cones at once that I get a second taken off of my lap time for each cone. We will just say they are style points That may help me out a bit after that little incident I had at Mineral Wells a little while back lol
Old 06-26-2011, 09:32 PM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

We might as well run it after we set up the damn course for PCA!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:32 AM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Well you guys should talk about it with Gavin and ask him or anyone else that has some better insider knowledge of what it takes to get a chapter going.

You guys will have a large turn out this July...unfortunately I won't be there....but that would be a good time to discuss it with everybody and see if they can commit to joining the club. I would assume there are certain requirements and things that would need to be filed and some documentation of the club and what not.

Maybe Jerrett can help out on this ???
Old 06-27-2011, 03:57 PM
GWord256

A couple things with running our own club.

Gear - To put it mildly We ain't got ****. Cones (hundreds of them), timing, flags, radios, and lots more. Look into the timing van next time there's a lot there. Oh and a transport vehicle.

Safety - I don't think any one of us has taken the safety course that SCCA offers. Thats vital if get insurance which we'd have to have.

Sites - They cost money $$$, how much? I donno??? Apparently about 20-25 entry fees worth.

Experience - I've been autocrossing for 5 years and think I know some of the ins and outs, on this front I think we'd collectively be able to put something togeather be it haphazardly at first.

Dedication - Again this is one thing I think we can manage, but we'd need 4 times as much as we have now.

Rules - Until we figure them out we'd need to rely on the SCCA solo handbook.

On that Negative Nancy note if anything I'd recomend we partner up with a local club. PCA would be a great one because we already double their ranks! ;-) So long as everyone likes driving out to Mineral Wells every other weekend.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:59 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by GWord256

Gear - To put it mildly We ain't got ****. Cones (hundreds of them), timing, flags, radios, and lots more. Look into the timing van next time there's a lot there. Oh and a transport vehicle.

Safety - I don't think any one of us has taken the safety course that SCCA offers. Thats vital if get insurance which we'd have to have.

Sites - They cost money $$$, how much? I donno??? Apparently about 20-25 entry fees worth.

Experience - I've been autocrossing for 5 years and think I know some of the ins and outs, on this front I think we'd collectively be able to put something togeather be it haphazardly at first.

Dedication - Again this is one thing I think we can manage, but we'd need 4 times as much as we have now.

On that Negative Nancy note if anything I'd recomend we partner up with a local club. PCA would be a great one because we already double their ranks! ;-) So long as everyone likes driving out to Mineral Wells every other weekend.
^^^^^^

Now see there....that's what I mean about talkin' with Gavin !

He can see the Shiet clear and simple....we need a shiet load of stuff ! And many of us would have to pony up and take some extra time to do these training classes on SCCA rules....or whatever.

** on one extra note...I have my EFR certification and have taken many other CPR related classes.

We can research how much cones cost and maybe get some connections where to get them for a bulk discount.

Also we should have radios already...just to hear whats going on, on the course. So let's price them out....I'll check around....somebody else do the same and see what we come up with. Find out what brand they use ?

As for a vehicle And computer system....? Well I have access to a Van from my work and maybe a Generator also...brand new Honda one !

This Van is gonna die soon and my Company will almost give it away...I will talk with my boss and owner of the company to see if they would be willing to let it go for really ....really cheap !

But we'd need a place to store it !

I guess that's where all the Dues come from !

So if you guys really want to do a Chapter....Now is the time to start figuring out what we really need and what it will take to actually get it up and running.

I'm guessing we don't have the " ALL " to get this up and running yet....but if there is any other person out there that can prove me wrong, then do it !
Old 06-27-2011, 05:17 PM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

We can just take cones off the street, haha!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:15 PM
steidz

Originally Posted by GWord256

Good stuff Gavin.

Well my 2 cents

I think we can build off of what is started with the VQ series. Just seeing the level of participation from the Z G community is a good first step.

The Z is not considered a competitive car as far as SCCA autocrossing goes. That is part of the reason s2000 and miata's have such a good turn out. They have had success at many levels of SCCA AX. We have a nice size group but I dont know if it would grow to the critical mass needed to be the base support for an event.

As far as being more involved in local events, If we help clubs with there early set up and gain experience. We can probably get a chance to do a setup for one of the events and get to put our own twist on the course.

We are lucky to have such an active AX community. Being able to pick and choose the club and event we want to run the VQ series at might be an advantage over competing with the others for times, place and participants.
There already is event almost every weekend and some times two.

Renting is cheaper than owning!!! Dont forget Ins for both the event site and club vehicle along with Gavins list.

I think we can build on this VQ Club idea, Chartered, dues or a simple group of guys chipping in for what we want. Along with getting more involved with other clubs, helping with setups to see whats behind the curtain will give us a good idea how far we want to go.

Thats 2 cents plus a little.

Scott
Old 06-27-2011, 11:45 PM
DMAC2

This is some really great stuff. How about if we join the z club of Dallas and bring the autocross idea to them. Its already an organized and running z club. We should be able to get a lot of support from them.

Last edited by DMAC2; 06-28-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:47 PM
DMAC2

Damn but that will eliminate the G's. Sorry Emad, you've to find new friends to race with. Its been nice...lol

Last edited by DMAC2; 06-28-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:36 AM
shift_love

Originally Posted by DMAC2
This is some really great stuff. How about if we join the z club of Dallas and bring the autocross idea to them. Its already an organized and running z club. We should be able to get a lot of support from them.

Damn but that will eliminate the G's. Sorry Emad, you've to find new friends to race with. Its been nice...lol
lmao poor emad...have you ever talked to any of those z club guys? i have em come up to the dealership all the time IMHO worst people i have ever met...i like how a lot of people on here dont feel like theyre god because they own a 350z or a z in general...everyone thats come up from the " z car club" has this attitude that they know everything in the automotive world about nissan, when usually i put them to shame, on top of that "mad" mike thomas comes to my dealership all the time, demands parts discounts, takes my business cards out of its holder and puts his in it...it drives me fakkin crazy...on top of that their dues are steep and their attitudes are questionable at best...now i am in no way speaking for the whole of the club but just for the people ive met over the years from the club...i think theres better ways about it...possibly infiltrating other nissan forums and collaborating with members by forming a dfw thread
Old 06-28-2011, 08:19 AM
DMAC2

Originally Posted by shift_love
lmao poor emad...have you ever talked to any of those z club guys? i have em come up to the dealership all the time IMHO worst people i have ever met...i like how a lot of people on here dont feel like theyre god because they own a 350z or a z in general...everyone thats come up from the " z car club" has this attitude that they know everything in the automotive world about nissan, when usually i put them to shame, on top of that "mad" mike thomas comes to my dealership all the time, demands parts discounts, takes my business cards out of its holder and puts his in it...it drives me fakkin crazy...on top of that their dues are steep and their attitudes are questionable at best...now i am in no way speaking for the whole of the club but just for the people ive met over the years from the club...i think theres better ways about it...possibly infiltrating other nissan forums and collaborating with members by forming a dfw thread
I've actually never really met anyone from there. That's not a good rep to have.
Well back to the drawing board.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 AM
DMAC2

Default TSSCC has a special class for Z's

There was a group in chicago trying to do the same thing I believe. Since chris is in chicago he should know more bout it.

HEY CHRIS. THREEFIVEZERO

Quick Reply: EVENT #6 VQ AutoCross Championship @ TMS 7/9