Notices

Cheap track time

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:15 AM
ken o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap track time

Fall HPDE at MSR with Lone Star BMWCCA

We will be back at Motor Sport Ranch again. A few changes. Definitely we are doing the 1.7 CLOCKWISE. Again we need numbers. We had over 70 at the spring HPDE and we need that amount again.

ALTHOUGH IF WE CAN INCREASE THE NUMBER BY AT LEAST 20 WE WILL DO THE 3.1 FULL COURSE COUNTER CLOCKWISE..DID I GET YOUR ATTENTION? I DID SAY THE 3.1 ITS NOT A TYPO. Numbers will maybe the track length we are able to run.

October 8 & 9 is the date.
Advanced students will be $220.00
Intermediate and Novice will be $295.00

Registration is OPEN NOW!

Direct Registration Link

The four student run group format should really open up things for the upper level run groups compared to our events where we have 3 student groups. I'm not sure what the naming convention will be, but the top level run group... Advanced... ? Uber Advanced ?? will likely have the opportunity to pass with a point anywhere ...just as the instructor group currently does. We had about 8-10 Uber Advanced drivers run with our instructor group this spring, as well as our club race students that did this and more last summer, so I expect this to be a natural progression for our top level drivers.

This is NOT a BMW only event, lets make this event huge!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:13 AM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Ken, are these a timed event ? ....or just a driving for fun experience & learning event ? ( which I need ).

It looks like a large pack of cars that run together so I'm not sure if you we have a lap time recorded.

Also can you explain the 2 day format....do you race one direction one day and then swap directions...or like you stated above, if there is enough people signed up will you race the 3.1 mile course both days ?

Also, can you have passengers with you ? ( with proper helmut of course ).

Last edited by fithamoto; 08-15-2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:29 AM
ezpotato

+1 to what Chris posted. I am curious about all that, too.

This will be my first one ever, so I dont want to end up stuck with a bunch of pros.

and i would def be down to get 5+ people on this, 20% will help a lot!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:37 PM
ZRated67

Hey guys, I'm on the BMWCCA DE Committee, and can answer all your questions.

First off, these are not timed laps.

There are four 20 minute runs per day, for a total of 2 hours and 40 minutes of track time!!!!!!!!!! To put that in perspective, you just spent less than 8 minutes in the car on Saturday's AutoX. 160 minutes is A LOT of time in the car!

Everyone in the Green Group will be at the same skill level. You will never be on course with the Advanced Groups.

You will start in Green, then progress, to Blue, Yellow, and then White.

Since you will both be in Green Group to start, you will have instructors in the cars with you for all your runs. The ONLY passenger you will have is your Instructor.

Both days will be run in the same direction. If we can get 90 people to sign up, we will run the 3.1 mile course. If it's less than that, we will run the 1.7 mile course clockwise. My personal preference!!!!

The group discount is actually 10%, but if I see at least 5 350Z, 370Z, G35, or G37's registered by Midnight Friday, I'll honor the 20% discount. After Friday, the discount automatically goes back to 10% regardless of circumstance. You are never going to get a deal like this again!!!!

Any questions? Just let me know.

Originally Posted by fithamoto
Ken, are these a timed event ? ....or just a driving for fun experience & learning event ? ( which I need ).

It looks like a large pack of cars that run together so I'm not sure if you we have a lap time recorded.

Also can you explain the 2 day format....do you race one direction one day and then swap directions...or like you stated above, if there is enough people signed up will you race the 3.1 mile course both days ?

Also, can you have passengers with you ? ( with proper helmut of course ).
Originally Posted by ezpotato
+1 to what Chris posted. I am curious about all that, too.

This will be my first one ever, so I dont want to end up stuck with a bunch of pros.

and i would def be down to get 5+ people on this, 20% will help a lot!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:09 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by ZRated67
Hey guys, I'm on the BMWCCA DE Committee, and can answer all your questions.

First off, these are not timed laps.

There are four 20 minute runs per day, for a total of 2 hours and 40 minutes of track time!!!!!!!!!! To put that in perspective, you just spent less than 8 minutes in the car on Saturday's AutoX. 160 minutes is A LOT of time in the car!

Everyone in the Green Group will be at the same skill level. You will never be on course with the Advanced Groups.

You will start in Green, then progress, to Blue, Yellow, and then White.

Since you will both be in Green Group to start, you will have instructors in the cars with you for all your runs. The ONLY passenger you will have is your Instructor.

Both days will be run in the same direction. If we can get 90 people to sign up, we will run the 3.1 mile course. If it's less than that, we will run the 1.7 mile course clockwise. My personal preference!!!!

The group discount is actually 10%, but if I see at least 5 350Z, 370Z, G35, or G37's registered by Midnight Friday, I'll honor the 20% discount. After Friday, the discount automatically goes back to 10% regardless of circumstance. You are never going to get a deal like this again!!!!

Any questions? Just let me know.

Thanks Michael,

I appreciate the info...I will be looking forward to doing this for the first time and hope I can learn a bunch from it.

If we as new drivers aren't going to be able to have passengers....then can we ride with the more advanced groups ?

I would love to ride with an advanced person to see how they drive....like yourself.

I drove with Jan Jerrett at a time trials in Mineral Wells and was very impressed with the speed fluid transitions of his steering and braking.

So Ok....I'm in !

And by the way.....I swapped my rotors around ! Lol

Last edited by fithamoto; 08-15-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:51 PM
ZRated67

Chris,

You can ride with any of the instructors, and really get a feel for what a fast track lap feels like. It's like nothing you've ever felt in a car!!!

Below is my first solo video I took last year, and it was a blast. I didn't know it, but my front tires were literally at the steel belts during this run. I've purchased new front suspension since then!

Nice to know you'll be able to stop better now!!! Before the DE you'll want to change out your fluid to at least Motul RBF600. I'm investing in Castrol SRF, and hopefully that'll prevent fade. Cooler temperatures will also help, but I'm afraid early October may still be hot. What kind of brake pads are you using, and do they have at least 50% left on them?

I believe you'll need street tires for Green Group. A worn set will do just fine. You'll be learning track awareness, learning the racing line, and things like that. You won't be needing R Comps, nor do I think they allow it. A good used set of street tires will be perfect. You won't put a lot of wear on them.

Memorize this video. You'll most likely be driving the exact same course, and it will help you a lot. Anything else, just ask!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iby0wF_43vA

Thanks Michael,

I appreciate the info...I will be looking forward to doing this for the first time and hope I can learn a bunch from it.

If we as new drivers aren't going to be able to have passengers....then can we ride with the more advanced groups ?

I would love to ride with an advanced person to see how they drive....like yourself.

I drove with Jan Jerrett at a time trials in Mineral Wells and was very impressed with the speed fluid transitions of his steering and braking.

So Ok....I'm in !

And by the way.....I swapped my rotors around ! Lol
Old 08-15-2011, 05:29 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by ZRated67
Chris,

You can ride with any of the instructors, and really get a feel for what a fast track lap feels like. It's like nothing you've ever felt in a car!!!

Below is my first solo video I took last year, and it was a blast. I didn't know it, but my front tires were literally at the steel belts during this run. I've purchased new front suspension since then!

Nice to know you'll be able to stop better now!!! Before the DE you'll want to change out your fluid to at least Motul RBF600. I'm investing in Castrol SRF, and hopefully that'll prevent fade. Cooler temperatures will also help, but I'm afraid early October may still be hot. What kind of brake pads are you using, and do they have at least 50% left on them?

I believe you'll need street tires for Green Group. A worn set will do just fine. You'll be learning track awareness, learning the racing line, and things like that. You won't be needing R Comps, nor do I think they allow it. A good used set of street tires will be perfect. You won't put a lot of wear on them.

Memorize this video. You'll most likely be driving the exact same course, and it will help you a lot. Anything else, just ask!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iby0wF_43vA

Michael, I love the fact that you past all those cars...esp. the Porsche's !

I have already put the Motul RBF600 in when I upgraded to the Brembo's and have brand new pads as of March this year. I plan on buying a few sets of pads before I go out there. I have the Hawk Hps pads now...but I know I need something better for the track....Do you recommend any in particular ?
Gavin had already told me a lot of what I will need. So I have the Dot 4 brake fluid and will be purchasing more front & rear brake pads..... And as for the tires being street tires...I have the RS-3's which I believe are street rated...other wise I have some Hankook V12's.

I would really like to drive with an advanced driver such as yourself before going out. I have driven the Nascar track at TMS and drove with a pro before I went out, and you really get to know how the car & track will perform at those speeds....a huge advantage in my book to be able to feel and see the track in these conditions. You can really see what your able to do within the given specs.

Thank you for your sharing and great video....it is an inspiration for me to get out there !
Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 PM
ZRated67

Chris,

I run the Carbotech RP2's in the front, and I think I'm running the XP-10's in the rear.

The RP2's are an Endurance Pad. Same compound as the XP-12, yet it's formulated to last 40% longer.

I'm running Cryo Rotors all around, and I won't know if they were worth the money until I track them a few more times. They weren't expensive, and the manufacturer claims 2-3 times the rotor life. I highly doubt it, but we'll see.

Your pads should be fine, but if you like the Hawk's and were going to swap them anyway, I'd get these for street/track:

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hpplus.php

I don't daily drive my Z, but if I did, the noise of squeaky race pads don't bother me. I've never tried the hawks, but I know the Porsche guys swear by the 9012 Blues.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/motorsports/compounds/

I hate to swap pads back and forth, so I just leave the racing compounds in, and leave them.

PM me, and I'll give you my number. You can call me anytime with questions!

Michael, I love the fact that you past all those cars...esp. the Porsche's !

I have already put the Motul RBF600 in when I upgraded to the Brembo's and have brand new pads as of March this year. I plan on buying a few sets of pads before I go out there. I have the Hawk Hps pads now...but I know I need something better for the track....Do you recommend any in particular ?
Gavin had already told me a lot of what I will need. So I have the Dot 4 brake fluid and will be purchasing more front & rear brake pads..... And as for the tires being street tires...I have the RS-3's which I believe are street rated...other wise I have some Hankook V12's.

I would really like to drive with an advanced driver such as yourself before going out. I have driven the Nascar track at TMS and drove with a pro before I went out, and you really get to know how the car & track will perform at those speeds....a huge advantage in my book to be able to feel and see the track in these conditions. You can really see what your able to do within the given specs.

Thank you for your sharing and great video....it is an inspiration for me to get out there !
Old 08-16-2011, 03:48 AM
ezpotato

ah *****! i wanna do this, but ive gotta see who can do my brake lines and need to get pads, fluid, etc done asap then.

I'm gonna see what the paycheck looks like this week, (got wedding payments to make but chris, are you for sure doing this?
Old 08-16-2011, 03:51 AM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

I am 99% sure I will be doing this !
Old 08-16-2011, 06:10 AM
ZRated67

Remember, in order to get the 20% discount ($59!!!!!) I'll need to register at least five cars by Midnight Friday! Your $295 entry will become $236. Two days of Instructed Track Time will NEVER get cheaper than this!!!!

Once Saturday hits, it's 10% off, and as soon as we have enough people, the discount could vanish entirely.

BEFORE you register, you MUST CONTACT ME FIRST. I will send the names to the registrar, and he will produce a discount code for you to use. If not, you'll have to pay it all up front, and wait for a rebate check.....not a good option.

So get the group together, and send me the names, and information I'll need. Chris can organize this and simply call me as well.

Thank You!

Last edited by ZRated67; 08-16-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:08 AM
ZRated67

Once the wheels are off, it's all a piece of cake.

I promise if you try the track, you'll be hooked for life, and wonder how you wasted the rest of your life driving your Z on the streets.

ah *****! i wanna do this, but ive gotta see who can do my brake lines and need to get pads, fluid, etc done asap then.

I'm gonna see what the paycheck looks like this week, (got wedding payments to make but chris, are you for sure doing this?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 AM
ezpotato

chris, any chance we can find 5 people to do this?
Old 08-16-2011, 04:12 PM
ezpotato

Zrated, if it's just Chris and I, do we still get the 10% if we were to register today?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:01 AM
ZRated67

You'll get the 10%, but if you can find just 3 more people to sign up, you'll get the full 20%.

You still have until Midnight on Friday, so see what you guys can do, and then get back to me.

Remember not to sign up until I get your names, and a discount code for you to use during registration!

Zrated, if it's just Chris and I, do we still get the 10% if we were to register today?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:10 AM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

I am working on getting somebody ....but no promises.

Either way I am 99% sure I will do it still.

Thanks Michael for the deadline info.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:09 AM
ZRated67

No worries, just let me know!

I am working on getting somebody ....but no promises.

Either way I am 99% sure I will do it still.

Thanks Michael for the deadline info.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:57 PM
ezpotato

chris, we have 4 people def in.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 AM
ZRated67

When you get the 5th, let me know ASAP.

DO NOT register without first getting a discount code from me!!!!!!!

chris, we have 4 people def in.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:45 AM
ZRated67

List has been sent out, and I'll send out the discount code as soon as I have it.

Way to go guys!!!!!

Quick Reply: Cheap track time