Notices

EVENT #9 VQ AutoCross Championship @ Mineral Wells 10/1

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 02:33 PM
steidz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ezpotato
it's gonna be about 380 for front strut and rear sway. that's all i want on this car... i'll justify it if i get a bonus. just ordered wedding invitations last night.

ugh.

Just say yes dear and everything will go smothly

After the wedding, i really think i'm gonna debate on what to do with the g. i'm kinda burnt out on the g35. i lvoe the car, but i really want to track a small nimble car...
I see turbo miata in the future.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:39 PM
ezpotato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha no. i'm thinking more along the lines of STI hatch, maybe see what the mini cooper S has, (stock power isnt enough for me on that car), I KNOW the STI is not that nimble, but it def feels like more of a track car right out of the box.... and awd would be challenging but once i got it under control, that car would be awesome. hell i'd even take a 350z and move my mods over.

and yeah i know the STI doesnt have the "nice interior" but i really want more of a track ready car with the following criteria:

1 - no convertible
2 - loads of after market suspension setups
3 - stock boosted
4 - a good rep on the track (autox or racetrack)

I dunno, I may change my mind once i get married and have the $ to fix up the g even more. I dont want more power, i just want a different experience.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:12 PM
steidz

STI that could be fun. You being used to rwd I think you would get tired of the fwd cooper pretty quick. If you think your car pushes now wait till fwd. I started in fwd and its fun but rwd just is better for racing and fun.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:04 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by ezpotato
ha no. i'm thinking more along the lines of STI hatch, maybe see what the mini cooper S has, (stock power isnt enough for me on that car), I KNOW the STI is not that nimble, but it def feels like more of a track car right out of the box.... and awd would be challenging but once i got it under control, that car would be awesome. hell i'd even take a 350z and move my mods over.

and yeah i know the STI doesnt have the "nice interior" but i really want more of a track ready car with the following criteria:

1 - no convertible
2 - loads of after market suspension setups
3 - stock boosted
4 - a good rep on the track (autox or racetrack)

I dunno, I may change my mind once i get married and have the $ to fix up the g even more. I dont want more power, i just want a different experience.
Emad, Don't give up on the G so soon....use it to get better and then if you see yourself needing better equipment...then change it up. It's not your car right now...you need to learn to drive better with what you have then get something that can enhance your driving. Scott & Gavin are proof that what you have is perfectly able to get you results that your looking for.

I am doing this as we speak....the Z is a learning tool for me as I gain more experience in driving ( only my 2nd season ) so I will get as much seat time & experience from it as I can before I decide to move into something different.

Sure I would like to go out and get me a Lotus Elise or Whatever ???....but it wouldn't really make me a better driver...only seat time and extra learning or teachers can help you out....That's why some of those AutoX schools and events that like Scott has done can improve your driving and times.

Lets do one together !
Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 PM
steidz

Originally Posted by fithamoto
Emad, Don't give up on the G so soon....use it to get better and then if you see yourself needing better equipment...then change it up. It's not your car right now...you need to learn to drive better with what you have then get something that can enhance your driving. Scott & Gavin are proof that what you have is perfectly able to get you results that your looking for.

I am doing this as we speak....the Z is a learning tool for me as I gain more experience in driving ( only my 2nd season ) so I will get as much seat time & experience from it as I can before I decide to move into something different.

Sure I would like to go out and get me a Lotus Elise or Whatever ???....but it wouldn't really make me a better driver...only seat time and extra learning or teachers can help you out....That's why some of those AutoX schools and events that like Scott has done can improve your driving and times.

Lets do one together !

Old 09-22-2011, 04:32 AM
ezpotato

haha chris, i know what youre saying. I'm not "giving up" on the G per say, i dont blame the car for why i'm not getting good times. i mean, i've gotten better, and it's put up well,. it's just straight up me wanting something different.

dont get me wrong, i LOVE the g. I will admit i have a very short attention span, and next year will mark the 4 year spot, and I'm honeslty ready for some change. i wont stop tracking or anything, just ready to drive a different car, I have been for a year or so, but with the wedding, i've had to hold off, since i'm fairly upside down on the car.

This honestly prob wont happen till late summer of 2012, so I've got plenty of time to still get a lot of track time in. and I dont know, this could change, too. I may go back to NA and make it a bit more reliable. we will see.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:31 AM
ZRated67

I'm already planning to have a TWO DAY AutoX School in the Spring. We will start with the basics on Saturday, and move to more advanced techniques on Sunday.

So keep the G, and you can learn how to drive it like it was meant to be driven.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:43 PM
ezpotato

i'd take that class no matter what, regardless of what i'm driving... i'll still have the G at that point.

i've got other scenarios in my head... some long term stuff, but in the short term, i'm planning on beating the crap out of the G, as soon as i get the tranny fixed!
Old 09-22-2011, 03:01 PM
GWord256

I'll be there. Who else?

SN - Name - Car # - Driver - VQ Champ. - PotLuck
1. GWord256 - Gavin - 256 - Driving - Yes - ?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:07 PM
GWord256

There's about 20 or so people registered thus far so plenty of spots open at the moment.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:31 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Gavin....do you think my RS-3's will be ok for the HPDE if I do this event ?

They are probably around 60% ?

My intentions was to not run until I have this HPDE behind me....so I wanted to save the tires until then.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:02 PM
GWord256

Your tires were in a lot better shape then mine and I know mine would last an autocross and a weekend HPDE.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:06 PM
GWord256

Oh and I won't be able to make it out there to the HPDE. I'm working both Saturday and Sunday that weekend.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:06 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by GWord256
Your tires were in a lot better shape then mine and I know mine would last an autocross and a weekend HPDE.
I'm not too sure of this....I got my RS-3's before you got yours on so I have more runs or events than you do....I think ?

I'm just worried that they will tell me that the tires are not track worthy.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:16 PM
GWord256

Did you get your car tech inspected yet? I don't know where you were planning on going to but if it is a race shop that BMW suggests you can ask them. I don't suppose you'll make a trip all the way down to PST in Cresson to do the tech inspection but if you feel like taking a drive they are nice enough guys.

BTW, I think only M. McShane beat me in his Miata for the night event. He took the last run when all the cones were already knocked down.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:21 PM
GWord256

I see BMW doesn't list a minimum tread depth only 'suitable for event' kind of statement. From the drivers edge tech form "Tires - minimum tread depth 3/32 of inch (exceptions for race tires); balanced with no leaks."
Old 09-22-2011, 05:26 PM
ppat1989
Professional

Don't crucify me for mentioning Hyundai but I've always liked the genesis coupe 2.0t especially now that they have the r-spec model. It's cheap and has good track potential with the upgraded dampers, brembo brakes and torsen LSD and it's an inexpensive car that is already stock boosted and can easily handle more power. It's also inexpensive to get that power compared to an NA car. The r-spec is everything performance wise that the track model is but without all the fancy crap like nav and leather. That's how they keep the cost down. I've been looking at then again this week a bit and I found a brand new one in rockwall for $24,526.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:18 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Did you get your car tech inspected yet? I don't know where you were planning on going to but if it is a race shop that BMW suggests you can ask them. I don't suppose you'll make a trip all the way down to PST in Cresson to do the tech inspection but if you feel like taking a drive they are nice enough guys.

BTW, I think only M. McShane beat me in his Miata for the night event. He took the last run when all the cones were already knocked down.
I see BMW doesn't list a minimum tread depth only 'suitable for event' kind of statement. From the drivers edge tech form "Tires - minimum tread depth 3/32 of inch (exceptions for race tires); balanced with no leaks."
I need to ask Zrated67 where I can get Tech inspected before the event.

Do you figure that you loose about 1/32" of tread depth per event or more ?
I will measure my tires tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:37 PM
SmokersMagee

Originally Posted by fithamoto

Lets do one together !
I'm up for some learnin.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:10 PM
ppat1989
Professional

Originally Posted by SmokersMagee
I'm up for some learnin.
Gotta have a car first lol

Quick Reply: EVENT #9 VQ AutoCross Championship @ Mineral Wells 10/1