Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Tail of the Dragon - Official mid-A Caravan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005 | 12:35 PM
mcduck

don't forget only car show pre-regs get this sweet a$$ lmt edition ZDayZ keychain for free!

Whatever we have left over will be sold at the event for $8 a piece. So, if you register for the show, you're actually saving $16, not $8!
Attached Thumbnails Tail of the Dragon - Official mid-A Caravan Thread-zdayz_keysm.jpg  
Old 04-21-2005 | 12:11 AM
Sins4u33

so i have to show my car to get the key chain....i wanna ride the dragon though!! i still have yet to fill the form out...i guess ill get it sent to you asap once i get the money in order...

Ben Y
Old 04-21-2005 | 10:40 AM
mcduck

For argument's sake, if you participate in all our planned events, you still have all day Friday, all Saturday morning, and all day Sunday to drive the Dragon.

The car show and detailing sessions are the only activities that really take place during the day and we tried to keep those in the afternoon when the Dragon is most crowded and less enjoyable to drive.
Old 04-21-2005 | 10:29 PM
Sins4u33

ahhh ok, i didnt look at the schedule of events and things, i just wanna make sure when i get on the dragon i dont have cars blocking me from speeding down it...i plan on getting some very very intense footage on the dragon, from inside and outside my car. so ill get this form made out and sent to you as soon as possible...

Ben Y
AAM
Old 04-22-2005 | 05:59 AM
mcduck

Good luck on that, Ben! It'll be tough to get a full unobstructed run and if you think you'll be driving *fast*, well... then I think you might be new to the Dragon. You will be in 2nd gear most of the drive. Can't wait to see your footage, tho!
Old 04-22-2005 | 06:05 AM
kcobean
Premier Member

Originally Posted by mcduck
Good luck on that, Ben! It'll be tough to get a full unobstructed run and if you think you'll be driving *fast*, well... then I think you might be new to the Dragon. You will be in 2nd gear most of the drive. Can't wait to see your footage, tho!
Just out of curiousity, I did the math on "318 curves in 11 miles"...If you simplify it just a little bit, that means on average there is an apex every 182.5 feet. I know that doesn't count for a whole lot, but it sure does indicate that there can't be too many good straightaways on which to build up speed.

I also see how this run can be very hard on the tires!
Old 04-22-2005 | 06:30 AM
mcduck

The run is hard on tires, but harder on breaks... especially coming down the dragon. It is an absolute blast to drive, tho! With the exception of a handful of stretchs, you can pretty much drive it in 2nd gear in a 350Z. A few longer straights let you hit 3rd and I think there is a single straight I sometimes hit 4th on, but that means HARD breaking at the next turn. Trying desperately to get one of my recent video taped runs up on our website for a preview. Maybe in the next week or so...

Just remember, it's not a competition... enjoy the drive but be safe. The biggest no-no up there is any double yellow violation. Way too many blind curves and too much oncoming traffic (often motorcycles) to stray out of your own lane.
Old 04-22-2005 | 08:50 AM
kcobean
Premier Member

The run is hard on tires, but harder on breaks... especially coming down the dragon. It is an absolute blast to drive, tho! With the exception of a handful of stretchs, you can pretty much drive it in 2nd gear in a 350Z. A few longer straights let you hit 3rd and I think there is a single straight I sometimes hit 4th on, but that means HARD breaking at the next turn. Trying desperately to get one of my recent video taped runs up on our website for a preview. Maybe in the next week or so...

Just remember, it's not a competition... enjoy the drive but be safe. The biggest no-no up there is any double yellow violation. Way too many blind curves and too much oncoming traffic (often motorcycles) to stray out of your own lane.
I have a few vids from last year's TOD up on the Capital 350Z / G35 Club website if anyone wants to check them out. They are really cool....I got a kick out of the one where the camera slooowly comes loose of the side of the car....Death of Luke I think it's called...

http://www.capital350zclub.com/hosting/misc/
Old 04-22-2005 | 09:27 AM
gspot35

When I went with some guys on motorcycles, we had a guy in front of us. We all had chatterboxes....it's like a helmet two way radio. He would let us know when the roads were clear or if there were cars ahead. I know it's illegal to cross the double yellow. But trust me that is the best way to take those corners. They are so banked that it almost begs you to use the full apex.

**** I do not condone traveling across the yellow line
Old 04-22-2005 | 09:56 AM
mcduck

I know it's illegal to cross the double yellow. But trust me that is the best way to take those corners.
NO.. it's not. Let me say now and emphatically, ZDayZ does not recommend or condone this type of driving on the Dragon. Anyone who does so, does so at their own risk.

Crossing the double yellow amounts to more than just facing oncoming traffic, it also has to do with driving faster than your ability or than the conditions warrant. There are no guardrails up there. Cutting apexs quicker may be just enough to get you going fast enough to spin off the next corner. More importantly, people who drive like this tend to drag those behind them as the next car in line often drives "the car in front" and not the road. By doing this, you are creating risk for those type of drivers as well.

Again, drive safely. Everyone should be familiar with driving laws and is responsible for following them . I'm not going to lecture everyone on every driving law, but crossing the double yellow should be the highest priority of things NOT to do on the Dragon.
Old 04-22-2005 | 10:55 AM
kcobean
Premier Member

NO.. it's not. Let me say now and emphatically, ZDayZ does not recommend or condone this type of driving on the Dragon. Anyone who does so, does so at their own risk.

Crossing the double yellow amounts to more than just facing oncoming traffic, it also has to do with driving faster than your ability or than the conditions warrant. There are no guardrails up there. Cutting apexs quicker may be just enough to get you going fast enough to spin off the next corner. More importantly, people who drive like this tend to drag those behind them as the next car in line often drives "the car in front" and not the road. By doing this, you are creating risk for those type of drivers as well.

Again, drive safely. Everyone should be familiar with driving laws and is responsible for following them . I'm not going to lecture everyone on every driving law, but crossing the double yellow should be the highest priority of things NOT to do on the Dragon.
Yeah, I've seen some photos of Tail runs gone wrong and none of them are pretty. I for one plan on having fun within my capabilities and I know that one of the empirical rules of the Dragon is 'no double-yellow violations'. We have a really good group of folks in the mid-A that don't get too out of hand. We'll keep it safe Andy. Wouldn't want this event getting a bad name.
Old 04-22-2005 | 11:03 AM
gspot35

I agree and as I read read my post I contradicted myself. My point was more like when you're in the desert and the speedlimit is 65mph. It's hard to go that speed because it seems like your wasting an opportunity to take advantage of the conditions. The dragon has a temptation to dip into the corners deep and come out across both lanes hard. It's the temptation I was previously posting about. It's absolutely not safe, but very tempting. Otherwise, the yellow line law would not be emphasized. You guys who have never been will see what I mean as soon as you get to the rhythmic S corners. I STILL WANT TO GO!!!! I really need to just unsubscribe to this thread.
Old 04-22-2005 | 11:17 AM
jester7500

I am not an expert driver, nor have I mastered the limits of the Z, so I'll be driving very cautiously (with VDC on). Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with the rest of you guys.

So who's entering the car show? Even though my car has nothing worth showing, I'm thinking about entering just so I can get that nifty keychain.
Old 04-22-2005 | 12:29 PM
kcobean
Premier Member

Originally Posted by jester7500
I am not an expert driver, nor have I mastered the limits of the Z, so I'll be driving very cautiously (with VDC on). Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with the rest of you guys.

So who's entering the car show? Even though my car has nothing worth showing, I'm thinking about entering just so I can get that nifty keychain.
I'm with you Jess, VDC on and just fast enough to feel like I'm goin' fast.

I'm putting my car in the show as well, even though I'm relatively stock from a "go" standpoint. I want the keychain. My keys haven't quite reached the 4 pound mark yet.
Old 04-22-2005 | 01:45 PM
jester7500

Originally Posted by kcobean
My keys haven't quite reached the 4 pound mark yet.
LOL...my keys weigh in at about 2lbs. I've got 7 keys, a giant mini-card, apartment keyfob, keyless entry, mini-flashlight, coqui noise maker, Nissan mini-steering wheel, and a bottle opener. My keys jingle everytime I walk around the office. By the looks of it, the ZDayZ keychain will bump the total weight up to 2.5lbs.
Old 04-24-2005 | 10:16 PM
Sins4u33

hey guys i was thinking we should meet up sometime before the trip and get together for dinner or something and sit down and organize a list of stuff we might need for the trip down, and also talk about the meet up location and time, what days good for you guys? im out of school may 11th so any time after that im free...

Ben Y
AAM
Old 04-25-2005 | 03:55 AM
kcobean
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Sins4u33
hey guys i was thinking we should meet up sometime before the trip and get together for dinner or something and sit down and organize a list of stuff we might need for the trip down, and also talk about the meet up location and time, what days good for you guys? im out of school may 11th so any time after that im free...

Ben Y
AAM
Sounds like a good idea. Let's meet in Tysons somewhere since it's kind of central to all points north, west and south. Maybe on the 14th?
Old 04-25-2005 | 04:29 AM
jester7500

I'm going to be out of town on the 14th, but I may be coming home early on the 15th. I'll find out later tonite. Tyson's is a good place to meet, if I can make it.
Old 04-25-2005 | 06:02 AM
stillnz

The 14th works for me and Tysons is fine.
Old 04-25-2005 | 07:23 AM
arlingtonz

14th and tysons is great for me.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon - Official mid-A Caravan Thread