Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Feeler: What should I ask for my car ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 05:27 AM
vo350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feeler: What should I ask for my car ?

I will be moving out of the area soon and thinking about selling my car again. I don't have to sell it but it would be nice to start on another project car when I moved. Here goes - 2004 Silverstone Enthusiast 6-speed ~8300 miles with:

Nismo Intake
Stillen Exhaust
Engine grounding kit
Kinetix V4 Plenum
Mastergrade front Carbon Fiber Lip
Seibon TS Carbon Fiber hood painted in Silverstone
Greddy side skirts
Spoilerdepot rear deck spoiler
Catz MSC fog lights installed in front bumper
Sony deck with XM commander with 4 Sony Xplod speakers
Kenwood tweeters
Pioneer Amp
JBL powered subwoofer
Varis Carbon Fiber pillar overlays
18" Roja GT Drift wheels with tires swapped out at 7600 miles
Uninstalled Leatherseats.com grey leather cover
Uninstalled Crawford Strut bar
All orginal OEM stuffs - radio, speakers, air box, exhaust, side skirts, front mud guards, wheels, and tires

Last edited by vo350z; 06-09-2005 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:45 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a general rule, here's how this seems to work: Add up the total cost of all your mods and divide by 4 (or maybe 3 depending on how "wow factor" your mods are). Add that number to the KBB or NADA resale value of your car and that's about what you should ask. You're always going to take a bath on modifications, that's why they are such a lousy investment.

Alain had 40K in receipts just for mods to his 2003 Track model Z. He sold the car for somewhere around 32K (He was asking 40K, but just before sale, the engine went). Even if the engine hadn't blown up and he sold for 40K, the mods saw about a 25% return on resale. Not too good, but resale is never why we mod.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:09 AM
vo350z

Yes, I have thought about parting out the mods but I would have to spend more money to put the car back to stock and then have to go through the process of boxing the items and send them out. It just not worth it since I will be moving sometimes next month. I forgot to add that the car has 18" Roja GT Drift wheels with new tires also. I've spent well over $36k on the car so I am hoping to get around $28k or so. Is this reasonable ?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:09 AM
valdeztke

Well You are def going to want to part it out .. you cant ever get anything for the car with the stuff on it ..
Let me know when you start parting it out .. I may def want some pieces.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Daewoo

I would start parting out the easy stuff like:

Nismo Intake
Engine grounding kit
Kinetix V4 Plenum
Seibon TS Carbon Fiber hood painted in Silverstone
Catz MSC fog lights installed in front bumper
Pioneer Amp
JBL powered subwoofer
Uninstalled Leatherseats.com grey leather cover
Uninstalled Crawford Strut bar
All orginal OEM stuffs - radio, speakers, air box, exhaust, side skirts, front mud guards, wheels, and tires

All of these are easy to take off and would easily get you a few k and not really change the price of the car.

my .02
Old 06-09-2005, 08:30 AM
vo350z

That's the thing. I would rather sell the car out right without any hassle of taking the mods off. I know some of these parts are easy to swap out, some are not since I am not that mechanically inclined to say the least.......
Old 06-09-2005, 09:38 AM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

Would you trust someone else to take off some of the easier things?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:59 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KBB for your car in excellent condition for a private sale is 24K. You *might* get away with 28K if you're lucky. You definitely could if you parted out the car back to stock and sold off the mods. Most people (unless you can find an enthusiast who is interested in all of your mods on the car) don't care about upgrades when they buy a car. It's just a fact. I'd take advantage of the parts market you have here on the forum to get rid of some of this stuff off the car if I were in your shoes.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Daewoo

Originally Posted by vo350z
That's the thing. I would rather sell the car out right without any hassle of taking the mods off. I know some of these parts are easy to swap out, some are not since I am not that mechanically inclined to say the least.......

OK! So I will change the list to account for your mechanical issues.

Engine grounding kit --- all u need is a 10mm socket easy as hell -- $30

Seibon TS Carbon Fiber hood painted in Silverstone 12mm socket (4 bolts) -- ($500)

Uninstalled Leatherseats.com grey leather cover --- no issue -- ($400)

Uninstalled Crawford Strut bar --- no issue -- ($100)

All orginal OEM stuffs - radio -- ($200) speakers -- (trash), air box ($90), exhaust (trash), side skirts and front mud guards ($100), wheels and tires ($400)

All of this wouldn't take more than a few hours to part out and would net you about ($1800) + Kelly's estimate of $24k = ~$26k

Still don't think it is worth it?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:44 PM
vo350z

Thanks for all of the input. Like I've stated, I don't have to sell the car but if I get a good price, I will part with it.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:42 PM
703z

Hi, i am currently waiting for a local dealership to find me a new Enthusiast model for me, since all the local ones are gone, which i talked them down to $26,589, they told me it would take a few days to locate and ship up here. I would consider buying a used one like yours. After looking at the "cars for sale" section i came to the conclusion that most 04s are going from 21k-23kish. I would offer 22k. I noticed you have alot of interest in your parts already. Let me know what you think.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:07 PM
TxTitan

This thread suxs without Pics!!
Old 06-10-2005, 04:57 AM
vo350z

I've posted links to pics of my car here before, so that's why I didn't do it this time. But for you......

http://img124.echo.cx/my.php?image=350znew18bd.png
http://img124.echo.cx/my.php?image=350znew25cl.png
http://img124.echo.cx/my.php?image=350znew32fp.png
Old 06-13-2005, 12:15 PM
G Spot

Take it over to Carmax and get it appraised for free. That's your starting point.
Then figure out what you spent on your mods, and then divide by 1/3 to 1/2 (resale for parts). You will get much more $$$ if you part out your mods.
Afterwards add $1-2k to the price, and you should get a fair value. (With or without the mods).
At least that was my logic when I sold my other cars. Doesn't feel like I lost that much in value/resale.

Yeah the resale value is much lower than what we want to sell for, and you can't really use KBB price becuase even Carmax sells below KBB price.

And no, you shouldn't just sell to anyone for wholesale/resale and deal with all the hassle and haggle of low-ballers. Then, why not just sell to Carmax without all the hassle?

Part out. You have other people who wants your parts. Ask for $$ plus OEM pieces. Hold a mod day at your place and have people switch it out for you for free, well, maybe some beer and food.

Either way, good luck.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Aurora40

Originally Posted by G Spot
Take it over to Carmax and get it appraised for free. That's your starting point.
LOL, I'm not sure why I'm even reading this except I was reading the detail day thread and noticed this was about prices.

Just two cents, but CarMax will not sell cars that depart from original equipment. They will wholesale the car, so if you have mods on it, you will probably get an incredibly low price from CarMax. They deal in good condition fairly new cars, and toss in extras like warranties and such. With a modified car, they can't do that, thus they don't sell them.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:17 PM
funkdamonkman

You have the VT style hood, not the TS.

Got my hopes up though. I've been searching for the TS painted Silverstone for quite a while.