Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Legal advise.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Z_rican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowell
PM me if you want my lawyer. Hes in Manassas but works a large area. Hes a bit pricy but damn good. Not to mention, he is well known to defend Z guys. Not that he has one, just that im in court every month for the same thing. Eventually they will ge tired of hearing it and leave us alone. Until then, sorry, but VA is the ****hole of american justice.
Unfortunately for me I got a call today and I was informed that i no longer have a job. I apreciate you offering the lawyer but if he is pricy I probably wont be able to afford it. Thanks though. VA is terrible. I have never been harassed by so many cops. There is a problem with Gangs around this area or there was a problem. Sometimes I cant walk around by my complex with out these pigs stopping me. Damn.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:11 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_rican
Unfortunately for me I got a call today and I was informed that i no longer have a job. I apreciate you offering the lawyer but if he is pricy I probably wont be able to afford it. Thanks though. VA is terrible. I have never been harassed by so many cops. There is a problem with Gangs around this area or there was a problem. Sometimes I cant walk around by my complex with out these pigs stopping me. Damn.
Sorry about the job situation.

Without a lawyer, all is not lost. Arrive at court early. Wear a shirt and tie. Take a copy of your drivers record. The DA will be at a table checking in witnesses and such. Speak with the DA. Most likely he will say If you please guilty I will give you such-and-such. Take the offer.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:32 AM
BobbyRitz

Originally Posted by Nowell
PM me if you want my lawyer. Hes in Manassas but works a large area. Hes a bit pricy but damn good. Not to mention, he is well known to defend Z guys. Not that he has one, just that im in court every month for the same thing. Eventually they will ge tired of hearing it and leave us alone. Until then, sorry, but VA is the ****hole of american justice.
Are we getting THAT many tickets?

Well, he knows that you're a solid client at least!
Old 07-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Z_rican

Originally Posted by davidv
Sorry about the job situation.

Without a lawyer, all is not lost. Arrive at court early. Wear a shirt and tie. Take a copy of your drivers record. The DA will be at a table checking in witnesses and such. Speak with the DA. Most likely he will say If you please guilty I will give you such-and-such. Take the offer.
I'll keep that in mind. I only have one ticket which I got when I moved here to VA, but it's a wreckless driving. I was charged with driving to endanger. I was doing 87 in a 55 toll rd. I will see what i can do.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:09 AM
doc10374

You will spend more on a lawyer than what the ticket will cost. You may even be able to get the charge reduced by pleading. You have 2 options here.....go to court plead down and pay the fine, or run his a$$ over next time......j/k. Exit or not you are required to give emergency vehicle adequate space to perform duties.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:46 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll keep that in mind. I only have one ticket which I got when I moved here to VA, but it's a wreckless driving. I was charged with driving to endanger. I was doing 87 in a 55 toll rd. I will see what i can do.
Oh poop. Forget the drivers record. The DA will have a copy anyway.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:55 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,448 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Damn, that sucks... good luck man. Make sure to get that in-car vid.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Z_rican

How, when should I ask for this video???? I dont know **** about going to court. I have been to court once, Never even spoke to a judge before.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:19 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,448 Likes on 1,769 Posts

He's gonna testify that he had to jump out the way of your Z... tell him to show proof.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:26 PM
wahoo5

Here is the Code section he probably wrote you up for. (The Code section number should be written on the ticket.)

§ 46.2-921.1. Drivers to yield right-of-way or reduce speed when approaching stationary emergency vehicles on highways; penalties.

The driver of any motor vehicle, upon approaching a stationary emergency vehicle, as defined in § 46.2-920, that is displaying a flashing, blinking, or alternating emergency light or lights as provided in §§ 46.2-1022, 46.2-1023, and 46.2-1024, shall (i) on a highway having at least four lanes, at least two of which are intended for traffic proceeding as the approaching vehicle, proceed with caution and, if reasonable, with due regard for safety and traffic conditions, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to that occupied by the stationary emergency vehicle or (ii) if changing lanes would be unreasonable or unsafe, proceed with due caution and maintain a safe speed for highway conditions.

Violation of any provision of this section shall constitute a Class 1 misdemeanor. If the violation resulted in damage to property of another person, the court may, in addition, order the suspension of the driver's privilege to operate a motor vehicle for not more than one year. If the violation resulted in injury to another person, the court may, in addition to any other penalty imposed, order the suspension of the driver's privilege to operate a motor vehicle for not more than two years. If the violation resulted in the death of another person, the court may, in addition to any other penalty imposed, order the suspension of the driver's privilege to operate a motor vehicle for two years.

Here is the penalty for a Class I misdemeanor.

§ 18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor.

The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

(b) For Class 2 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than six months and a fine of not more than $1,000, either or both.

(c) For Class 3 misdemeanors, a fine of not more than $500.

(d) For Class 4 misdemeanors, a fine of not more than $250.

For a misdemeanor offense prohibiting proximity to children as described in subsection A of § 18.2-370.2, the sentencing court is authorized to impose the punishment set forth in subsection B of that section in addition to any other penalty provided by law.

Sounds to me like you can't afford not to hire a layer, particularly when you add insurance impact on top of this. Best recommnedation for Fairfax COunty is Dave Albo. All he does is traffic court. He is a state Delegate anf the Chairman of the House of Delegates Courts Committee. Very well connected. Go here for contact info - http://www.albo-oblon.com/

Good luck.

David
Old 07-07-2006, 06:54 AM
Z_rican

Originally Posted by wahoo5
Here is the Code section he probably wrote you up for. (The Code section number should be written on the ticket.)

§ 46.2-921.1. Drivers to yield right-of-way or reduce speed when approaching stationary emergency vehicles on highways; penalties.

The driver of any motor vehicle, upon approaching a stationary emergency vehicle, as defined in § 46.2-920, that is displaying a flashing, blinking, or alternating emergency light or lights as provided in §§ 46.2-1022, 46.2-1023, and 46.2-1024, shall (i) on a highway having at least four lanes, at least two of which are intended for traffic proceeding as the approaching vehicle, proceed with caution and, if reasonable, with due regard for safety and traffic conditions, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to that occupied by the stationary emergency vehicle or (ii) if changing lanes would be unreasonable or unsafe, proceed with due caution and maintain a safe speed for highway conditions.

Violation of any provision of this section shall constitute a Class 1 misdemeanor. If the violation resulted in damage to property of another person, the court may, in addition, order the suspension of the driver's privilege to operate a motor vehicle for not more than one year. If the violation resulted in injury to another person, the court may, in addition to any other penalty imposed, order the suspension of the driver's privilege to operate a motor vehicle for not more than two years. If the violation resulted in the death of another person, the court may, in addition to any other penalty imposed, order the suspension of the driver's privilege to operate a motor vehicle for two years.

Here is the penalty for a Class I misdemeanor.

§ 18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor.

The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

(b) For Class 2 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than six months and a fine of not more than $1,000, either or both.

(c) For Class 3 misdemeanors, a fine of not more than $500.

(d) For Class 4 misdemeanors, a fine of not more than $250.

For a misdemeanor offense prohibiting proximity to children as described in subsection A of § 18.2-370.2, the sentencing court is authorized to impose the punishment set forth in subsection B of that section in addition to any other penalty provided by law.

Sounds to me like you can't afford not to hire a layer, particularly when you add insurance impact on top of this. Best recommnedation for Fairfax COunty is Dave Albo. All he does is traffic court. He is a state Delegate anf the Chairman of the House of Delegates Courts Committee. Very well connected. Go here for contact info - http://www.albo-oblon.com/

Good luck.

David
This isterrible. I hate this racist cops around here. Thanks David. I'll start to look for a lawyer asap.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Z_rican

It's been a while since I replied. Just wanted to post what happened. The trooper lied to the DA about some details, anyhow to make a long story I was found guilty for inproper driving and not for the misdemeanor, and I had to pay 400 in fines. The cop was a little pissed because he wanted me to do some time.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 AM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

400 down the drain and no mods to the car... now that's rough!
2 Spots u should always watch out when u're driving:
1. Toll Road.
2. That exit around Annandale/Little River you were taking
I always see swarms of cops just itchin to catch someone for anything, even pickin their nose while driving or something retarded like that.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

400 is better than being thrown in the "federal pound me in the a$$" facility =)

It's been a while since I replied. Just wanted to post what happened. The trooper lied to the DA about some details, anyhow to make a long story I was found guilty for inproper driving and not for the misdemeanor, and I had to pay 400 in fines. The cop was a little pissed because he wanted me to do some time.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:00 AM
03BrickyardZ

I will keep this in mind.
If he had the blue lights on, the camera was running. Thats regulations (and its hardwired that way.) And if you request a copy, they have to give it to you under the freedom of information act.

If they can't produce it, you could weasel out because of a lack of evidence.

**Edit: I should have finished reading the thread before i opened my big mouth. that sucks.

Last edited by 03BrickyardZ; 01-17-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Z_rican

Originally Posted by abui01
400 down the drain and no mods to the car... now that's rough!
2 Spots u should always watch out when u're driving:
1. Toll Road.
2. That exit around Annandale/Little River you were taking
I always see swarms of cops just itchin to catch someone for anything, even pickin their nose while driving or something retarded like that.
YUP. My 1st ticket ever was at the toll road but I learned that the hard way. I live off the Annandale exit, and that's where I got pulled over. Fairfax cops and the VA state police are nutz around this area.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Z_rican

He had the lights running, I dont remember if it was blue or red though. The damn Lawyer cost me $1250.00 and I was out of a job at that time. I'm just glad it's over. As I walked out the cop kept starring at me and I just smiled at him and walked away.

Thanks for the advice.