Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

sat tv which is better directtv or dishnetwork

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007 | 08:01 AM
rockinbboy

I am looking at dropping my Adelphia cable (bought out by Comcast). Their service is decent but I want more channels and I can get more for nearly the same price. I am debating between DishNetwork or DirectTV. Seems most people have Direct.

Here is the problem. I live in a condo and so I can't have anything installed on the building itself. It has to be on a post. The problem is finding a suitable location since the dish has to face South West and I am on the east corner of the building. It would be had to put the dish in a location that is inconspiculous.

Do you guys pay for the warrany or anything? I find that all BS personally (the down side of going satellite).
Old 01-12-2007 | 08:21 AM
kpiskin

DirecTV. I've used it for six years now. I chose it over dish at the time due to channel packaging. I can't speak on Dish now. However, both are inherently digital signals which is what cable companies typically charge you extra for. I have had very few weather related outages. Even during Hurricane Isabelle I had DirecTV up until the power went out. Extreme weather can impact the picture, but I can count those events on one hand. Before DirecTV I had Comcast, and it wan't unusual for then to go out for an entire afternoon. I even had a multi-day outage once.

The other thing is DirecTV does not arbitrarily raise rates. Although they have, it seems it is related to more content delivery when it happens. I pay about $60 per month with a DVR, 185+ channels and 67 XM radio channels.
Old 01-12-2007 | 08:41 AM
SILVERBLACK_RL

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
I am looking at dropping my Adelphia cable (bought out by Comcast). Their service is decent but I want more channels and I can get more for nearly the same price. I am debating between DishNetwork or DirectTV. Seems most people have Direct.

Here is the problem. I live in a condo and so I can't have anything installed on the building itself. It has to be on a post. The problem is finding a suitable location since the dish has to face South West and I am on the east corner of the building. It would be had to put the dish in a location that is inconspiculous.

Do you guys pay for the warrany or anything? I find that all BS personally (the down side of going satellite).
Warranty? I didn't pay any warranty charges for Directv. The only fee that I pay is a $4 charge of every receiver I have outside of my primary receiver and a $5 charge for my Tivo service. Other than that nothing.
Old 01-12-2007 | 09:05 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

if you have to mount it on a post, insurance is a good idea. any jackass with a wrench can steal it
Old 01-12-2007 | 09:18 AM
rockinbboy

^^ good point.
Old 01-12-2007 | 09:30 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

the insurance covers all of your equipment, storms, theft, spill soda in the HD box, neighborhood kids doing pull ups on the dish arm.... $4 is a hell of a deal if you ask me. that stuff is expensive as **** to buy outright.