Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

jobs around washington area

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007 | 01:57 PM
aykut

Default jobs around washington area

Hi guys

I like to ask for some help if you do not mind. I am desperately looking for a job in management- business or in either marketing field. I will be graduating from University of Maryland University College this december. I send my resumes to bunch of companies but have not heard anything in 3 weeks. Couple companies called me but they were scam. I am studying in management studies and have a marketing certificate too. So, if you know somebody or have any openings in your job for entry level position for a college graduate, i appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2007 | 02:08 PM
ZIABLO
I am Batman
Premier Member

good luck! best way to get a job is through your contacts!
Old 10-03-2007 | 02:11 PM
aykut

yes i know , i am telling my friends all the time but no luck up to right now
Old 10-03-2007 | 05:25 PM
mthreat

Originally Posted by aykut
I like to ask for some help if you do not mind. I am desperately looking for a job in management- business or in either marketing field. I will be graduating from University of Maryland University College this december. I send my resumes to bunch of companies but have not heard anything in 3 weeks. Couple companies called me but they were scam. I am studying in management studies and have a marketing certificate too. So, if you know somebody or have any openings in your job for entry level position for a college graduate, i appreciate it. Thanks.
I don't know of a specific job but try out indeed.com, it lets you search lots of job sites all in one place... just enter 'what' and 'where':

www.indeed.com
Old 10-03-2007 | 05:54 PM
shocka04

good luck on the job search, i too shall be looking for jobs in the spring
Old 10-03-2007 | 06:17 PM
aykut

thanks guys . I upload my resume to careerbuilder and monster but all i got was scam companies. They call you and say if you sell x amount of things you get money. I just want stable income, probably everybody does not just me Also , i send my resume to well known companies but everybody says that since a lot of people send their resume to those companies, it takes really long to get an answer from them. So , i will see what is going to happen. Any advice or suggestion is appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-04-2007 | 03:03 AM
KManZ
Banned

Brush up on your interviewing skills, clean up you business professional wardrobe, and make some business cards. Get to a job fair that your school puts on and talk to as many companies face to face as possible. Sell yourself (in a good way), make a good impression, and you greatly increase your chances that you will get an opportunity to interview.
Old 10-04-2007 | 04:33 AM
umzzz
Cwest Army

you could try using a recruiter...

Robert half is pretty good out of bethesda i know a few people that have been placed through them

http://www.roberthalffinance.com/portal/site/rhf-us
Old 10-04-2007 | 06:16 AM
4SHIZZIL

Dude, im telling you from experience and from what my wife is going through right now. Finding a job is a full time job. How easy it is to post to Monster? Not saying you shouldnt, but geesch, so does the entire world.

I only deal with recruiters. They know what I want, but more importantly they deal with companies directly. I have found in the IT world that many companies will only used recruiters because it saves so much money and time. They get the descriptions from the company, and they do the leg work.

Unfortunately that comes at a price from your overall salary. They usually grade anywhere from 3 to 10% of what your salary could of been. But you wouldnt have the job if it werent from them, so I say its worth the 80 a paycheck.

For example they hire you at 40K. The recuiter makes 5K (this is high), but you could of gotten 45, if you found the job yourself, but the compainies would not likely call you out of the blue. HR is dealing with so much these days, hiring is pretty much outsourced/contracted out.

Look at TEK Systems, and National Jobs. Let them do the scanning for you. Again, that cost, but at least you get food on your table faster.

My wife and been doing this like you since May. She wouldnt listen. I hooked her up with a recruiter, and she has two job offers to choose from only after a week!

My two cents.

FYI you need to MASTER all of the above suggestions also.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 10-04-2007 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2007 | 06:32 AM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31
Premier Member

If you are interested in moving to Richmond, VA then check out Circuit City... the headquarters is here and they have great benefits, plus its awesome working here.

Check out the website and if you find something then PM me and I will get you in touch with a recruiter.
Old 10-04-2007 | 07:04 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

www.ferguson.com

www.ferg.com
Old 10-04-2007 | 07:25 AM
Driven1
Professional

What are you looking to do? Be specific about what your'e looking for not just management. Every field has managment. Much of this weighs on any previous experience you have or what your passions are in life. For instance I like construction and cars. So if I ws looking for a job then I'd target those specific industries and go from there. Interviewing and getting your name out there is very important. And starting at the bottom isn't a bad thing either. So I wouldn't just shy away if you find a desirable place of work but they can't offer you exactly what you want wages wise.

To me it's about working to live, not living to work. Enjoying what you do is paramount over making more money hating waking up and going to work everyday. So start with things you enjoy.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2007 | 07:35 AM
umzzz
Cwest Army

If you are sending your resume to companies and waiting for them to call you back you're going to be waiting for a long time. you have to be proactive and send them your resume with a good cover letter, then follow up and call them to make sure they got it and gauge their interest. You have to set yourself apart from every other college kid sending resumes to companies. they will remember you if you call and make an impression vs just sending them your resume.

Also as far as the resume and cover letters go i would tailor them for each company you are trying for. Read through the job descriptions and use the words that they use in the description. Obviously don't copy it word for word but use your judgment and make it fit. Like others have mentioned it can be a painful process but keep with it!

Recruiters really make it a lot easier because they can get tyou the interviews. them its up to you but at least you can get a face to face.

goodluck!

Last edited by umzzz; 10-04-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2007 | 11:01 AM
Goofy1477

Good luck on your job search.
My wife has been looking for a job sending out her resume every day M-F since June. Even worse she has 2 degrees. One in Banking and Accounting in Poland, and a Second degree here in Computer Science and Information Technology.
She has had no luck. We have tried all resources from friends sending in her resume to jobs to the internet to Job Fairs.
Tons of interviews but still no job. I know its not a problem with her interview skills, since she has read like 3 different books on interviewing. She also has job experience in Poland. Who knows. Job hunting sucks.
Old 10-04-2007 | 11:14 AM
UMW350Z

try corporate offices for car manufacturers. Nissan, Toyota etc.
Old 10-04-2007 | 11:22 AM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by Goofy1477
Good luck on your job search.
My wife has been looking for a job sending out her resume every day M-F since June. Even worse she has 2 degrees. One in Banking and Accounting in Poland, and a Second degree here in Computer Science and Information Technology.
She has had no luck. We have tried all resources from friends sending in her resume to jobs to the internet to Job Fairs.
Tons of interviews but still no job. I know its not a problem with her interview skills, since she has read like 3 different books on interviewing. She also has job experience in Poland. Who knows. Job hunting sucks.
Its who you know around here.

Is she a US Citizen, does she have a gov clearance. If she is looking to get into IT, thats all that need apply for the most part around here.

Ironically, pick up the paper. Alot of small company want local poeople, so they advertise in the local paper.

send me a PM and I will give you my resume!
Old 10-04-2007 | 11:51 AM
Goofy1477

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL G-SPOT
Its who you know around here.

Is she a US Citizen, does she have a gov clearance. If she is looking to get into IT, thats all that need apply for the most part around here.

Ironically, pick up the paper. Alot of small company want local poeople, so they advertise in the local paper.

send me a PM and I will give you my resume!
Nope. Not a US citizen which hurts, but she is a green card holder and has a work permit. So because of that no govt clearance either.
Old 10-04-2007 | 11:54 AM
mondi

anyone wana hook me up with a job
Old 10-04-2007 | 01:40 PM
ZIABLO
I am Batman
Premier Member

Does anyone know of any job openings for Chemists? I've been looking for stuff for my friend. You scratch my back I'll scratch yours :-)
Old 10-04-2007 | 02:31 PM
aykut

thanks everybody for the excellent feedbacks. I think you are right. I have to keep in touch with companies. But the problem is when you call them they do not say much about your application. For example, i called 2 different companies and left them voice message about my job application but they did not even called me back and gave any information about my application. I called again and said i called the recruiter department and can i speak to somebody else instead of leaving a message , they said you can only leave a voice message ? I think they do not want to answer every call and give information. That sucks !!

I am interested in banking , consulting or cars. I really like to work in car industry but i do not know where to start. I really like cars but the thing is i also want to have a stable income. Most car sales jobs are based on comissions so you might make big buck this month and get a really small amount next month.

I think i will go will recruiters. I also heard that they charge some money from your salary but i think it is worth to give money and start a job instead of sitting at home and send resumes to companies. If you guys can recomment more recruiters , i really appreciate it . Thanks

Quick Reply: jobs around washington area