Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.
View Poll Results: Should ALL cars have ABS?
yes
50.00%
no
14.06%
yes and we should standardize more feautres too even if they cost more
35.94%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Are we too safe or too cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:03 PM
UMW350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are we too safe or too cheap?

This is sort of an off-topic type of question, but I think it is relevant and it will actually help me make my decision when building cars.

So here it is: Do you think air bags and ABS brakes should be standard on all cars? Are there other existing integral features which should be on a car no matter the cost?

Almost all cars (if not all by now) have air bags, but not all have ABS. I do not have ABS on my Civic nor did I have it on my old Saturn 2 door. All Z's have ABS and air bags so this discussion is kind of excluding our favorite car (hence why it is off-topic). We are having a product planning meeting and it has come up to put ABS on everything from Altima to Z because of the safety benefits. Cost to the consumer is always the prohibiting issue for this, I doubt anyone can say 'damn i wish i didn't have ABS so I could skid uncontrollably into that guy in front of me'. Lets try and leave race-track worthyness out of this discussion

I personally would like to see some of the basic, less costly safety features (ABS, air bags...maybe even some form of traction control/VDC) on every model. It protects the driver and others around them. ABS has personally saved me a couple times, and the lack of ABS got me in very hairy and scarry situations which I am lucky to have made it out of. ABS kept multiple deer out of my grill and my friends' cars grilles.

So what is everyones take? Would you rather save money and run the risk with yourself or being hit if you have a cheaper car where ABS is an option? Is anyone unhappy that ABS was put in the Z and you didn't have a choice?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-09-2007, 07:09 PM
rockinbboy

front air bags...check.
side air bags....check.
ABS....check.

Rather keep my life in check than not. The Z is one heck of a car..and I know its safety feature (structural or mechanical) have saved driver/passenger's lives.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most people dont know how threash hold braking, so ABS is def needed. Airbags in most cases do more good than harm-there are exeptions but $hit happens. I think it is good for cars to have it, my Z has 6 air bags yet I Dont feel safe in it...
Old 12-09-2007, 07:38 PM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by Alberto
Most people dont know how threash hold braking, so ABS is def needed. Airbags in most cases do more good than harm-there are exeptions but $hit happens. I think it is good for cars to have it, my Z has 6 air bags yet I Dont feel safe in it...

Could be the extra 300 horsepower

You are defintely right about threshold braking, most people are panicing anyways when they slam the brakes that hard they don't have time to think.

So....should ALL cars have these basic features? Or would you opt to save money on a cheaper car and give up these things? I am probably polling the wrong demographics for this since 3-500 bucks extra on a car is not a big deal when we are droping 10-20g's AFTERMARKET on our cars

POLL ADDED!

Last edited by UMW350Z; 12-09-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Flee0588

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess I'm a minimalist. I like the fact that my base didnt come with tcs vdc. I personally hate the Z's abs so I let that go too and I havent been happier. Track/autox is much better and street driving is more fun. Until I go tt, I'd much rather not go back to abs. Plus 2 airbags are enough for me. Saves money (especially if you blow those suckers...$$$ out the window) and weight. Not to mention I paid dirt cheap when I bought my 05 compared to the higher models.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by Flee0588
I guess I'm a minimalist. I like the fact that my base didnt come with tcs vdc. I personally hate the Z's abs so I let that go too and I havent been happier. Track/autox is much better and street driving is more fun. Until I go tt, I'd much rather not go back to abs. Plus 2 airbags are enough for me. Saves money (especially if you blow those suckers...$$$ out the window) and weight. Not to mention I paid dirt cheap when I bought my 05 compared to the higher models.
Actually watching base Z's peg leg around a track is funny, and slower (as VDC when off has no effectwhen tracking), and chances are-and statistics back this up ABS would make you safer on the street
Old 12-09-2007, 08:34 PM
saladito6

^ I agree. To me that guy sounds a little too smug to not have the safety features. He probably wont buy a luxury car anytime soon, especially anything made by Lexus b/c of the waste of money that they are and the money going into the safety features that come with the car stock.

Last edited by saladito6; 12-09-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:25 PM
kramykram

NO I think all cars should have abs, but airbags. Airbags are the biggest waste of money next to seatbelts. I mean comeon, lets make safer cars to people live during crashes, lets worry about over population. Lets worry about the total of people who dies wearing seatbelts or even having airbags. Seat belt laws are stupid, unless its for children. Im sorry but stupid features like this drive the prices of cars up. Lets get back to the basics with cars, fuel injection is great. Airbags and seatbelts NO, NO NO.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by kramykram
NO I think all cars should have abs, but airbags. Airbags are the biggest waste of money next to seatbelts. I mean comeon, lets make safer cars to people live during crashes, lets worry about over population. Lets worry about the total of people who dies wearing seatbelts or even having airbags. Seat belt laws are stupid, unless its for children. Im sorry but stupid features like this drive the prices of cars up. Lets get back to the basics with cars, fuel injection is great. Airbags and seatbelts NO, NO NO.
Doesnt surprise me considering where you are from-states out west or south generally are more liberal with issues like this. Update this thread with pics of your face after you fly out of the car from a 30mph impact
Old 12-09-2007, 10:04 PM
FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ

dude are you serious ? seatbelts a no no ?

in any crash above 20mph, a seatbelt will most probably mean the difference between survival and death, since your face will be laying down on the ground after you've been ejected through your front window lol
Old 12-10-2007, 03:17 AM
Mukrat
Race Naked FTW!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I sence a 16 year old troll lurking about...
Old 12-10-2007, 04:13 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

Originally Posted by Alberto
you dont have an average Z haha
Old 12-10-2007, 04:14 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

seatbelts and airbags bring cost up 10K NOT
Old 12-10-2007, 04:21 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At one time I thought all cars should have roll cages, it still doesn't sound like too bad an idea. Have you ever seen a dragster fall apart down the track and the driver walks away and waves.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:30 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Who the hell are you? Ralph Nader?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:39 AM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ
dude are you serious ? seatbelts a no no ?

in any crash above 20mph, a seatbelt will most probably mean the difference between survival and death, since your face will be laying down on the ground after you've been ejected through your front window lol
He's being sarcastic.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:26 PM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by davidv
Who the hell are you? Ralph Nader?

I believe he said unsafe at ANY speed. I was also unaware fuel injection was a safety issue as well.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Like my boyz UGK

back front and back....side to side...back front and back...side to side.

I even have side rears for my passegers.... too safe is never an option!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:26 PM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sean1967
At one time I thought all cars should have roll cages, it still doesn't sound like too bad an idea. Have you ever seen a dragster fall apart down the track and the driver walks away and waves.
Thats not really a good aidea, unless you wanna make helmets mandatory too.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:58 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In 2008 all new cars sold in the US will be required to have:

1. seat belts, common sense and just plain smart, except if you prefer to be buried in a box that is not open for final viewing. This a standard feature in American cars for years, if you don't mind the tickets of live saving measures hell don't use em.

2. TPS great idea even though they can be annoying sometimes but, damn happy the car is thinking for me sometimes. Yes $$$$ but, I like living & think I like my passengers living longer also.

3. ABS damn straight, unless again you prefer the results of #1 above. Why would you not take advantage of technology that has been proven to reduce deaths and injuries on American roads for years now.

4. Air bags, I believe in em, yes they add mucho $$$ to the sale price of the Z but I choose to drive a performance car with safety features that may 1 day might just save my stOOpid a$$

5. The price of the above safety features/technology is costly, but none of these items is adding significant weight to the Z ( more than 50 LBS). In the end the Federal govt. & the National Transportation Safety Board have made the decision for all auto makers wishing to sell new cars in the US in 2008.

6. Live any way you wish......or possibly die not using standard features on the Z car.