Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Usmm/usmc

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:39 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Usmm/usmc

Anyone here in either USMM or USMC, I have been thinking about signing the dotted line and going in. What kind of experience did you have and would you do it again?? The Merchant Marines appeals to me most (for the travel, I love going out of th US), but USMC wouldn't be bad either. I have a friend thats in combat training now and he really likes what hes doing, I like guns, fighting, etc. and I had made it to Balto Co police academy but decide not to pursue that career for personal reasons.

I geuss my questions are, what do most of you do after service? How are the benefits and compensation packages?

Last edited by DROPPEDIT2WCE; 01-11-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:42 AM
BlueZ33

yeah im active duty in the usmc for about 5 years now and im a grunt(infantry) and i wouldnt change the experience for anything in the world. ive done 2, 8 month deployments to iraq and now im actively a PMI here on Parris Island.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:47 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

My friends name is Pvt. Urban, he is probably one of the loudest recruits down there (in my opinion) LOL, he is in Florida now but was in Parris Island a very short time ago for basic.

Last edited by DROPPEDIT2WCE; 01-11-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:10 PM
|)@71|)

I joined the Marine Corps 2 years ago (January 9). I Infantry as well (0311) but im on a special duty. (Presidential support duty). Although i havent gone on any tours yet, because im still a boot, i have no regrets.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:29 AM
KManZ
Banned

I was in the Marines for 4 years (1999-2003). Good times. Like David above me, I was an 0311 and served in Washington DC as a member of the Presidential Support Unit at 8th & I. I miss that place, and I never thought I would say that. Looking back, I would have to say they were some of the best years of my life, though at the time I hated everything about it. Ironic...
Old 01-14-2008, 06:25 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

Going to talk to a recruiter and ask a few questions soon.

Thanks so far guys!!
Old 01-14-2008, 06:32 AM
KManZ
Banned

You want to go 0311? Needless to say, you will get a free trip to either Trashcanistan or Iraq.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:45 AM
cp2
Banned

Congrats to those Marines out there fighting the good fight. I was in the AirForce for 10 years, but was in Naval JROTC with a Marine instructor. That was crazy. Like 3 years of basica training!!!! I ain't sayin don't join, but before you do make sure you have a good tolerance for getting hollered at and belittled. But yo gotta be mentally strong. I opted airforce only because I knew what I wanted to do. Computers. But I'm prolly as good as alot of the few the proud...the marines. Messed up thing is I actually wanted to get deployed to do computer work out there....and the Air Force wouldn't let me. Sucks.

Bottom line....be strong mentally and physically, and be honorable. Serve your country proud....and don't be a B!TCH! HAHAHA
Old 01-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Eric the Ricer
Banned

Originally Posted by cp2
Congrats to those Marines out there fighting the good fight. I was in the AirForce for 10 years, but was in Naval JROTC with a Marine instructor. That was crazy. Like 3 years of basica training!!!! I ain't sayin don't join, but before you do make sure you have a good tolerance for getting hollered at and belittled. But yo gotta be mentally strong. I opted airforce only because I knew what I wanted to do. Computers. But I'm prolly as good as alot of the few the proud...the marines. Messed up thing is I actually wanted to get deployed to do computer work out there....and the Air Force wouldn't let me. Sucks.

Bottom line....be strong mentally and physically, and be honorable. Serve your country proud....and don't be a B!TCH! HAHAHA
+1 to all of that, with the exception of the JROTC, and 10 years service haha.

I'm a Comm guy in the Air Force. I love it. I wish I could be helping the men overseas, but it's just not my time from what I am told. Chief assures me I'll get my chance to help.

Whichever you decide to do, good luck my man. You'll learn the military is a very different lifestyle than the civilian world.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:47 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

not sure on 0311, but there has to be a place for me somewhere
Old 01-14-2008, 06:10 PM
AltimaNX

Been serving as a Marine for the last 4 1/2 years. I've done one tour in Iraq in 2006. I love it. I'm currently stationed at ft detrick as part of I&I staff for a reserve company.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:21 AM
MR_X

AHHHHHHHHHHH Parris Is, I miss Beaufort. I was station there a few years ago. Being station with Marines was interesting (I'm Navy). I have been in the Navy for a little over 12 yeas now. Done more that 5 deployments to the Gulf,few to Central/South America and some other places. Had some good and bad experiences but they are worth it.

To the op, You know there is a big difference between USMM and USMC, right? How big of a gun you want to play with? I get to play with 20mm and up to missiles.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

I know the two are very diffrent, but Marines would be my personal first choice for armed forces. Merchant Marines guarding exports in/out and around would be interesting but I can't think what I'd do after service...
Old 01-15-2008, 11:10 AM
MR_X

Im not sure about the guarding, never heard of USMM doing that. All I knew they did was supply US ships. I do know that they get paid pretty good though. You should go in as an Aviation Ordnanceman
Old 01-17-2008, 05:58 PM
madelf222

Okay.....I'll show my age. I retired from the Corps last year.....been around the world a few times and to many ^%^*holes. 2 tours in Iraq......never regretted a minute of it. I'd do it all over again if I had too. Go Marine....the experience will last a lifetime...not to mention you'll join the most exclusive gun club there is
Old 01-18-2008, 03:42 AM
mifastZ

I've been in the Air Force for 7 years. I'm stationed at McGuire AFB in Jersey and I spent 4 years at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, Mississippi. I'm part of the 201st Red Horse Squadron. We are the 'elite' Civil Engineering Unit of the Air Force. Combat CE as we like to call it. I've been to Iraq 3 times and going on a 365 day tour leaving in August. I wouldn't trade my Military Career or Life for anything. I love my Uncle Sam.
*not in a gay homosexual way*

But seriously, I would advise you to research all branches of the Armed Forces before you make a decision. Fu*k what all the recruiters tell you. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. Here's my breakdown, and please no one get offended...

Marines - They Kill...plain and simple. They are the ground pounders. If it wasn't for the marines we'd be screwed because the Navy, Air Force and Army are Pussie$... I love the Marines... The Marines ****IN* RULE!

Navy - They play with boats. Of course theres more to it, but you get the picture. They have cool $hit like Carriers, Submarines, Battleships and Destroyers. But be advised, there are some weird guys in the Navy and their women are fat and ugly. I'm not a fan of the Navy...But I have to be because my Father served in the Navy in Vietnam...That was a totally different Navy then it is today.

Air Force - (aka 'Chair Force') We play with Billion Dollar Aircraft. If you join the AF I suggest getting a job dealing with planes. I wish I did. Thats the whole AF mission...Air Power. But we are notorious for being lazy and getting everything we want. This is true. On all of my deployments I've have a bed to sleep in (not a cot), Air Conditioning, and at least one hot meal a day (The rest were MRE's). On my first deployment I stayed in a Tent for 6 months at Baghdad International Airport, but the tent had A/C Thank God! So you see where I'm coming from. Thats why a lot of people from other branches cross over into the Air Force because we have the highest quality of living.

Army - I don't even know where to start. It's the largest and oldest Branch in the Armed Forces today. They prove their worth by sheer numbers. But if you listen to the news, the majority of the troops getting killed and captured overseas are from the Army. But like the Marines, the military would be nothing without them. 'Grunts' describes them the best...

Well thats my break-down. Coast Guard and Merchant Marines I know nothing about so I can't help you there.

So in conclusion, in my opinion, join the Air Force, they take the best care of their people and care about moral and family.

But I'm partially bias because I'm in the Air Force...
Old 01-18-2008, 06:01 AM
KManZ
Banned

Navy... Accelerate your Life. I love their commercials of their guys on air craft carriers doing all sorts of awesome things. but I always tell myself: "they never show someone scrubbing the toilets or swabbing the deck", which you will do... a lot. Yep, not all rainbows and teddy bears in the military.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:12 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

Air Foirce would be my second choice, Marines first. Never the Army or Navy no offense to anyone.

I have done alot of research recently, and hearing a consistant "no regrets" attitude which I really like.

Last edited by DROPPEDIT2WCE; 01-18-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 AM
MR_X

Originally Posted by mifastZ
I've been in the Air Force for 7 years. I'm stationed at McGuire AFB in Jersey and I spent 4 years at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, Mississippi. I'm part of the 201st Red Horse Squadron. We are the 'elite' Civil Engineering Unit of the Air Force. Combat CE as we like to call it. I've been to Iraq 3 times and going on a 365 day tour leaving in August. I wouldn't trade my Military Career or Life for anything. I love my Uncle Sam.
*not in a gay homosexual way*

But seriously, I would advise you to research all branches of the Armed Forces before you make a decision. Fu*k what all the recruiters tell you. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. Here's my breakdown, and please no one get offended...

Marines - They Kill...plain and simple. They are the ground pounders. If it wasn't for the marines we'd be screwed because the Navy, Air Force and Army are Pussie$... I love the Marines... The Marines ****IN* RULE!

Navy - They play with boats. Of course theres more to it, but you get the picture. They have cool $hit like Carriers, Submarines, Battleships and Destroyers. But be advised, there are some weird guys in the Navy and their women are fat and ugly. I'm not a fan of the Navy...But I have to be because my Father served in the Navy in Vietnam...That was a totally different Navy then it is today.

Air Force - (aka 'Chair Force') We play with Billion Dollar Aircraft. If you join the AF I suggest getting a job dealing with planes. I wish I did. Thats the whole AF mission...Air Power. But we are notorious for being lazy and getting everything we want. This is true. On all of my deployments I've have a bed to sleep in (not a cot), Air Conditioning, and at least one hot meal a day (The rest were MRE's). On my first deployment I stayed in a Tent for 6 months at Baghdad International Airport, but the tent had A/C Thank God! So you see where I'm coming from. Thats why a lot of people from other branches cross over into the Air Force because we have the highest quality of living.

Army - I don't even know where to start. It's the largest and oldest Branch in the Armed Forces today. They prove their worth by sheer numbers. But if you listen to the news, the majority of the troops getting killed and captured overseas are from the Army. But like the Marines, the military would be nothing without them. 'Grunts' describes them the best...

Well thats my break-down. Coast Guard and Merchant Marines I know nothing about so I can't help you there.

So in conclusion, in my opinion, join the Air Force, they take the best care of their people and care about moral and family.

But I'm partially bias because I'm in the Air Force...
Got you beat on that one. In the Navy , we get 4 hot meals a day, a bed, a hot shower (most of the time), laundry services, phone and internet. All this when we are deployed on the multi BILLION boat.

If you want to go Navy stick to the aviation side also.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:12 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

No Navy! Everrrr, I am not a sea going bell-hop
ground, guns, fighting, and vehicles, terra firma FTW