Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

My MidA Vortech Install FTW & FTL

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:58 AM
civic4982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was it easy for them to tune it? did they have any problems?

I'm looking to get mine tuned afterwards as well.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:07 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by civic4982
was it easy for them to tune it? did they have any problems?

I'm looking to get mine tuned afterwards as well.
tune was just over an hour...no issues other than the vacuum line I had wrong...it was only making 4psi due to my error..thats why the first C6 ran around me in 3rd..lol.

2nd C6 wasnt so lucky!

LOL

it was the vacuum line from the bypass to the FMU that I screw up..it wasnt connected at all..lol Dont know if I forgot to hook it up or it fell off somehow...
Old 08-28-2008, 06:10 AM
civic4982

so really it may have not even needed a tune? I don't even know how adjustable these maps are on the unichip
Old 08-28-2008, 06:14 AM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by sajazzman007
Thats whats hot I have the same install i need to do. If you need some extra hands I would love to help so I can also learn how to install mine. I sent a pm. Damn I am a day late and a dollar short. Sound like a great install. I might have to take some pointers from you. I want t install this myself just have to find someone willing to help me out with it.
This was my second SC done it in three evenings after work. No issues other than a bad repair on a AC line broke again when ramming intake pipes in the car. Not a RevUp kit...but the wiring was a pain IMO. I left that to the car owner...

he has added headers and a few other parts....still no tune... I told him to get his AFs checked.... but some never learn until its too late.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:17 AM
4SHIZZIL

so really it may have not even needed a tune? I don't even know how adjustable these maps are on the unichip

no it needed a tune bad my friend... you always need a tune... the base map stopped at like 5K rpms... then my AFs went to over 15!

the tune is the most critical part IMO...

even if you have to take off work drive 4 hours to get it tuned....its worth it. I recommend shifting at 4K rpms until you get your air fuels checked. If they are ok..then running without a tune is OK, but still not recommended man.

Id would get a tune even if I changed my oem mid pipe and muffler to a different exhaust. The tune is EVERYTHING man...
Old 08-28-2008, 06:24 AM
civic4982

I got my cipher as well as my plx wideband afr to check the tune on it.

so the base map on the unichip is useless and needs to be tuned over 5K rpms huh? looks like I'll have to find someone in Houston or dallas to do it then while I'm gone.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:39 AM
4SHIZZIL

I got my cipher as well as my plx wideband afr to check the tune on it.

so the base map on the unichip is useless and needs to be tuned over 5K rpms huh? looks like I'll have to find someone in Houston or dallas to do it then while I'm gone.
that might not be totally true...i had a vacuum leak from hell, that could be why my AF shot through the roof...not the Unichip programming...I dont really know why or which.

if you have those tools you maybe able to use those and not the Unichip at ...although you would need to take your time and know your shizzil. I think its doable though....just becareful.

I would use the tried and proven, tested, Unichip then add little details as required. But the Unichip takes over at WOT right...so if you use it, it trumps the factory ECU settings.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 08-28-2008 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:47 AM
civic4982

yeah I talked to a unichip tuner in texas and they said the unichip setup for this is great and he wouldn't even touch their tune since it's really made for the car.

he said to run it on a dyno just for the afr's and see how rich/lean it's running but to use the PLX wideband I've got as a gauge as well as the shop's afr that I'm dynoing at.

anyways, if it's off I'll figure out a solution. I have confidence though that Vortech knows what they're doing and they chose unichip for a reason.