Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Automotive techincian or mechanic schools in the DMV

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:22 PM
sajazzman007
DIY'er Unite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Automotive techincian or mechanic schools in the DMV

Before I even start this, I'm not looking for wise a$$ remarks or comments you can keep those to yourself!!!

I was wondering if they were any trade schools or technical institutes in the area where you can go in and learn about more about automotive work. I realize I keep messing around with my car but I want to learn how to do more with engines like tuning, etc. I know they are schools like wyotech and UTI but those schools are not in the DMV. Does anyone know of anywhere like this in the area? If not, any apprenticeship programs?

Thanks

Jon
Old 10-27-2008, 01:29 PM
amg55driver

Lincoln Tech, Columbia, MD
http://www.lincolnedu.com/campus/columbia-md
Old 10-27-2008, 01:59 PM
sajazzman007
DIY'er Unite

Nice are they a pretty good school?

Originally Posted by amg55driver
Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM
sajazzman007
DIY'er Unite

I just check it out there is a high performance institute but its either in TN or IN. It was the same thing at Wyotech and UTI. Both are in areas you would have to move to. Kinda like the job and all I have here, but the other stuff looks good. Nice look
Old 10-27-2008, 02:16 PM
r0csfinest

i asked this same question a while ago and talked to some workers and their best recommendation was to see if your local community college has the same programs. they told me at lincoln tech or uti they just learn the basics and its waaaaaaaaay expensive
Old 10-27-2008, 02:48 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nova has an engine building class and some other automotive related topics.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:12 PM
sajazzman007
DIY'er Unite

Originally Posted by PhiSig
Nova has an engine building class and some other automotive related topics.
Nice I'll look at NOVA I know they are a millions campuses which campus imparticular?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I almost completed the automotive program at CCBC years ago right out of HS. I thought it was something I wanted to do for a living, because I enjoyed working on my cars and friends cars so much.

You do 3 months of school, and 3 months of work for 2 years. At the end you can test for your ASE's.

I did almost 1.5 years and I bailed. The work side of things was a joke, I was doing PDI's and basic work. I disliked the Service manager and that didnt help things. I think the "hardest" thing the dealer allowed me to do was an intake gasket on some POS Chevy. I realized the money sucked donkey d!ck, I didnt want to do i tthe rest of my life and I had learned very little. I bounced and never looked back. Ive done much more advanced things on my own now and with friends. I dont regret the experience though, I met some cool people and did learn some things...
Old 10-27-2008, 03:31 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay as far away as you can from Lincoln Tech as i wont hire one of there grads to do oil changes.UTI and Wyoming Tech are respected as is Catonsville community college dealer programs.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:37 PM
sajazzman007
DIY'er Unite

Good look thanks for the perspective. I dont want work on cars for a living I prefer doing it as a hobby. I just have some GI Bill money burning a hole in Kansas City somewhere and I wanted to go to school and learn something new. I knew back in Louisiana there were votech schools out the a$$ that would do all kinds of things with cars. I guess in NOVA their isn't really any votech schools dealing with it, all of the ones are in Va Beach.

Originally Posted by Alberto
I almost completed the automotive program at CCBC years ago right out of HS. I thought it was something I wanted to do for a living, because I enjoyed working on my cars and friends cars so much.

You do 3 months of school, and 3 months of work for 2 years. At the end you can test for your ASE's.

I did almost 1.5 years and I bailed. The work side of things was a joke, I was doing PDI's and basic work. I disliked the Service manager and that didnt help things. I think the "hardest" thing the dealer allowed me to do was an intake gasket on some POS Chevy. I realized the money sucked donkey d!ck, I didnt want to do i tthe rest of my life and I had learned very little. I bounced and never looked back. Ive done much more advanced things on my own now and with friends. I dont regret the experience though, I met some cool people and did learn some things...
Old 10-27-2008, 03:39 PM
terps

montgomery college has a auto department at the rockville campus. don't know a thing about it or certification aspects
Old 10-27-2008, 03:39 PM
sajazzman007
DIY'er Unite

Good Look I would be interested in learning about Nissans. I'm going to follow up with looking for that Cantonsville Community College link now

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Stay as far away as you can from Lincoln Tech as i wont hire one of there grads to do oil changes.UTI and Wyoming Tech are respected as is Catonsville community college dealer programs.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:42 PM
sajazzman007
DIY'er Unite

Originally Posted by terps
montgomery college has a auto department at the rockville campus. don't know a thing about it or certification aspects
Thanks

I think I'm numbering my potentials out between NOVA and Montgomery.. the other two I have to rule out due to how far they are. I think since I already have my master's degree I wont have to take any of the electives or other requirements. Just go to class

Last edited by sajazzman007; 10-27-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:07 PM
.steeeeZ33.
@ J&D auto

Lincoln Tech.... LOLOLOLOLOLOL HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHH

that place is beyond a joke. ull learn more and be in a more mature crowd going to a high schol auto program.

UTi ftw.

Last edited by .steeeeZ33.; 10-27-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I went to CCBC, you could choose to do Ford, GM or Toyota programs.

If you want to learn things as a hobby, get a few friends over and DL a good tutorial and take steps. I had never installed a turbo kit but I did, or done a clutch/fw but with good directions, some beer and friends we all took leaps in the things we did compared to my time in the car program. You have to believe you can do the job, if you doubt yourself you wont succeed.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:18 PM
sajazzman007
DIY'er Unite

Originally Posted by Alberto
When I went to CCBC, you could choose to do Ford, GM or Toyota programs.

If you want to learn things as a hobby, get a few friends over and DL a good tutorial and take steps. I had never installed a turbo kit but I did, or done a clutch/fw but with good directions, some beer and friends we all took leaps in the things we did compared to my time in the car program. You have to believe you can do the job, if you doubt yourself you wont succeed.
Yeah you are a hundred percent correct. I do alot of DIY stuff now. Its just would rather be in a school environment I think having some cat throw number and figures at me would help it stick a bit better. I was looking at NOVA and they actually teach you some machining which I think is damn awesome. I mean of course you know going to be a true professional but you learn enough to get you by. Seems like both school have something I would want to learn. I'm going to call NOVA up tommorrow, they have 4 classes I would want to take.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:20 PM
sajazzman007
DIY'er Unite

You got to be the hardest person to get in touch with ever. Hows everything been going down? I gave up on calling you you never answer the phone or return messages. Hit me up sometimes, I learned a gang of stuff last time I was there at your peeps shop. I actually changed out my own headers!

Originally Posted by .steeeeZ33.
Lincoln Tech.... LOLOLOLOLOLOL HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHH

that place is beyond a joke. ull learn more and be in a more mature crowd going to a high schol auto program.

UTi ftw.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:29 PM
sajazzman007
DIY'er Unite

Heres the course at NOVA:

http://www.nvcc.edu/depts/academic/c...fixesa.htm#aut

and the courses at Montgomery Community College:

http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/cur...ons/cdauto.htm

Which has the better looking syllabus? I think NOVA got them on 4 classes.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:40 PM
terps

I will say a friend took classes at mc and he built a motor missing all sorts of parts, intentionally. he wanted to see them try to start it up...
Old 10-27-2008, 07:02 PM
.steeeeZ33.
@ J&D auto

Originally Posted by sajazzman007
You got to be the hardest person to get in touch with ever. Hows everything been going down? I gave up on calling you you never answer the phone or return messages. Hit me up sometimes, I learned a gang of stuff last time I was there at your peeps shop. I actually changed out my own headers!
ha sorry man i have been just so busy.

sleep. work. eat. sleep. work. eat. pay bills. sleep. work. eat. work. eat. eat. sleep.

for being 20, i feel like a 45 year old sports enthusiest with a Acura TL and a desk job......

at least my back feels like taht.

Quick Reply: Automotive techincian or mechanic schools in the DMV