Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Moving from Los Angeles to Virginia, where to live?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:27 PM
crunky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving from Los Angeles to Virginia, where to live?

Hi all. I might be changing jobs and moving to the Norfolk/Newport News/Hampton area of VA. I would like to know what it's like living there, where's the best area to live in your opinion? The job is in Newport News.

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:07 AM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

Just to let you know your going to have to get use to not seeing super hot girls all day, oh and it smells bad too around here and finally we can't drive worth a crap but besides that you will like it.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 AM
RedlineZdude

haha^

I live in norfolk and i would say its alright... It gets worse the closer you get to Downtown norfolk but there are some nice places in the hampton area no doubt.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:57 AM
yusoslo

you'll feel right at home, Cops are dicks, lots of ricers in the VA beach area with civics, SRT-4's etc etc.

Once cool thing our roads do not consist of 90 degree angles, turns can be fun.

There are lots of nicer subdivisions down there so just look around
Old 12-01-2008, 02:12 PM
crunky

hahaha some funny posts.

thanks guys.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:24 PM
MR_X

I moved here a little bit over a year ago from Ventura. God I miss it. I also work in Newport News. I live in Norfolk. Here is not like cali that you have a nice area and then the bad areas, is all mixed.

Now, do you have any kids? Virginia Beach is pretty much the best area to live around here. Everything is there pretty much and it supposed to have the best school rating. The problem is traffic.

Hampton has it nice areas also. The best thing is find a realtor and have them send you listings. Then go in Google street view or MSN bird view and located that area and see if you like. Where are you going to work?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 AM
crunky

i'm single and still an apartment renter.

quality of the roads and highways? i remember a little what it's like driving around alexandria.

i lived in seattle where there are tons of little rocks to give you rock chips. it can't be as bad as that.

also, can you get higher than 92 octane? is it easy to find?

if i take the job it's gonna be with a big defense contractor.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:23 PM
lowrider

I moved from Santa Barbara to Northern Virginia (Herndon) in 1996. I worked in Falls Church. I absolutely hated it. The summer's were hot and humid and the winter's were cold. The first winter I was snowed in for three days. I had satellite TV, and in those days, you could have an East and West Network Programming Package. I used to close the blinds and watch LA TV and pretend I was back home. After two years of trying to get back out west, I found a job in Tucson, as far west as I could get. I retired in '07, and moved to a little town between Phoenix and Tucson, it's not Santa Barbara, but it's so much better than being in the east. 1996 was just before the housing boom, so I could never afford to go back again.

The point of this thread? - IMHO, stay where you are, I wish I did.

Lou
Old 12-03-2008, 04:21 AM
idrive_MD

i have family in gloucester, road conditions for most part nice, plenty of highways to get to more populated areas like Williamsburg and VA beach. Gas price is hella cheap compared to LA, premium 93 should be around $2.05 as its usually parallel or cheaper than where I live in MD. Never had an issue with cops as a visitor but I hear VA-highway enforcement is the suck to folks like us. Housing in most of that area is pretty affordable.

VA gets more ice than snow, but is known for a good snowfall every now and then. My only advice, is avoid a heavy pine tree living area, Pine needles and such will ruin a car if parked outside.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:08 AM
RedlineZdude

roads are chitty down here
Old 12-03-2008, 02:09 PM
carman63

Nice high-rise apartments in the Portsmouth area. Got a friend that lives in one, awesome views. Not sure of the price.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:14 PM
MR_X

Originally Posted by crunky
i'm single and still an apartment renter.

quality of the roads and highways? i remember a little what it's like driving around alexandria.

i lived in seattle where there are tons of little rocks to give you rock chips. it can't be as bad as that.

also, can you get higher than 92 octane? is it easy to find?

if i take the job it's gonna be with a big defense contractor.
I remember when I was station in Bremerton Wa. Yeah Seattle is not as bad as some parts here. If you are single and looking for an apartment, I would look into Virginia Beach then. I'm not familiar with the night life in the Hampton side of the area but I know there is some good spots in Virgina Beach. 93 octane here is like 91 in Cali, just a lot cheaper.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:06 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Kiln Creek is the only place to live in that area... rent an appartment with the lake view (if possible)... its less than a mile from the golf course, mall, and interstate I64!

FYI

Hampton, Williamsburg, Newport News is like 3 hours from Alexandria, Herndon...etc.

Newportnews is like 45 min to 115min to va beach going east and the same to richmond going west.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 12-04-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:34 PM
crunky

thanks a lot guys.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:54 PM
ZACKPLETT

i live in yorktown and its pretty nice... dont see many Z's this way so it pretty cool. 93 octane is like 2 bucks, highways are kinda bumpy, the thing that sucks is pulling into gas stations and stuff b/c there are little dips before you pull in and i always scrap bumper!!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:45 AM
Sleepy-z

The roads are a lot better in VA then cali in terms of condition, the only bad roads I encounter are in dowtown sections like richmond but everywhere else they are 10x better then the pothole refills in cali. As they said its humid as hell in the summer and pretty cold in the winter. I try to find ways to remind myself of cali all the time aslo, I will return there. Its not bad here, pretty in the fall but its cloudy and rainy 1000x more then socal for sure.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:22 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

so you coming to the East Coast or what? Did you find out.

Newport News is not a bad place to live...like anywhere there are good and bad areas. I liked the highway being so close. and the Mall.

we have drives that go through yorktown.. its an older home style commutity, but it seems nice and quiet. Too quiet for me though. I like to at least check out a babe or two in the summer...lol