Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Reckless Driving Ticket, please give some idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 PM
aykut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reckless Driving Ticket, please give some idea

Hi

I guess i am also one of the unlucky drivers lately. I got a reckless driving ticket tonight around 12:20am.. I was driving on Sterling BLVD close to Route 7 and I was really tired after my job and I did not realize that i was speeding. The cop caught me speeding 55 on a 35 mile zone.. I am living in MD but working in VA so first I thought I will get a speeding ticket.. But, once she handed me a yellow paper, she said I should show up in Leesburg court on April 15th..

I have been driving since 2003 without any major traffic violations or tickets. I got couple small tickets like no plate or parking meter ticket but nothing serious like speeding or reckless driving..

My question is , how much do you guys think this thing can cost me ? I am extremely tight on budget right now so I do not know , I can hire a lawyer or not. What can happen , if i go and defend by myself ? Or what is the advantage of having a lawyer ?

My daily drive is a 91 civic so I do not know how much it can affect my insurance rate but I do not think , it can incrase a lot.. I was reading previous posts and people were mentioning about $1000 lawyer fees, i do not have any savings to pay this kind of money.. I Know lawyer fees are expensive but I believe there are some people that can;t charge an arm and a leg.. I might force myself to pay $200, $300 but do you think i can hire a lawyer around that range?Please do not start saying why were you doing 55 on a 35 zone .. I accept that it was my fault and i was extremely tired after work so i did not even realized that i was speeding.. I just wanna go home and rest so i was kinda rushing.. Please give some advice for what to do ?

Last edited by aykut; 01-20-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:01 PM
ajcool2

Just go to court say you were guilty and pay the ticket. The times I went to court they decreased my fine amount. Most of the tickets I go to court for I end up paying around $350.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:18 AM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting a low budget lawyer might get you into more trouble. There's no way out of the $1000 fee for a lawyer, but he could possibly cut you a break if you negociate a lower price if you show him that you have a clean record making your case easier to fight.

By simply going in and admitting guilt + paying the ticket = wreckless on your record which means it'll be there for the next 6 years... yeah... you want to avoid that as much as you can. Wreckless tickets are no joke in VA
Old 01-21-2009, 07:18 AM
r0csfinest

Originally Posted by ajcool2
Just go to court say you were guilty and pay the ticket. The times I went to court they decreased my fine amount. Most of the tickets I go to court for I end up paying around $350.
What about his points?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:28 AM
djParis
Retired Racer

Next time run.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:33 AM
DeltaTTZ

I recently got 2 reckless driving tickets here in VA. You can got one for.. not stopping at a stop sign or even not using your blinker, there are many things that will earn you one of these as i discovered. Lawyers know this so they are a dime a dozen its not hard to find one that isnt too expensive. They will probably drop it to an improper driving because of your driving record and your fine will be around 350 most likely as were both of mine. good luck with it though
Old 01-21-2009, 08:07 AM
bigslim350Z

You can get a reckless and points even if you aren't a VA resident?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:18 AM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by bigslim350Z
You can get a reckless and points even if you aren't a VA resident?
You can get a reckless ticket...I don't see how it matters where you live. However, points I think are transferable to your record depending on which state you reside in. I think MD/VA/DC area are all game for transfering points to your state license. other states.....not so sure.

I could totally be wrong about this, but I am using info that I've heard and what seems to make logical sense to me.

Anyways..OP..good luck with the ticket. Your insurance will only go up if your insurance company desides to poll your record in the future. If they don't poll, then you should be fine. Don't think about switching providers, because if you do chances are they will check your record first.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:31 AM
aykut

Thanks a lot for your input guys..

Should I definately hire a lawyer then in this case ? It is my first reckless driving ticket and I am not a resident in VA, I live in MD but work in VA.. I was driving 55 on a 35mile zone. I know still it is speeding or reckless driving but compare to other people who had several reckless driving tickets or doing 80-100 miles on 55 zone, I believe my guilt suppose to be less harsh .. Am i wrong ? Or it is considered to be same even you do 55 on 35 zone or 85 on 55 zone ?

If i do not get a lawyer and just show up in the court and accept my guilt, do you guys think they can lower the fine to a speeding ticket ? And also most importantly , if i do not get a lawyer, the points will be added to my licence ?

Last thing any lawyer suggestions which can not cost a lot ? I will force myself to pay a reasonable rate maybe between 200-300 , I know it is a tough range but maybe somebody knows a good lawyer does not rip off people who knows, any ideas ?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 AM
rockinbboy

I think if you are going to hire a lawyer, you are looking at at least $500. Just open a phone book and start calling around.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:45 AM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

imho, do not get a lawyer at this point.
I got a reckless driving ticket in Charlottesville a couple of years ago (over 80 mph in a 65 zone). I went to court myself and the judge reduced it to just a speeding ticket.
First, get your speedometer calibrated. Hopefully, that will reduce your 55 mph to something slightly lower.
Go online and print your excellent driving record from the DMV (only costs a few $)
Go to court yourself with both those documents, along with a humble and respectful attitude. Plead not guilty to reckless driving, but concede that you were speeding. (you do NOT want reckless driving on your record!)
If that is not successful, you can appeal.
Then it's time for a lawyer!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Villain

If you had Pre-Paid Legal Services, they would take care of this for you. I was ticketed for going 85 in a 60, I even told the officer I was speeding, he wrote that in his report, and my ticket was dismissed. I thought I was screwed for sure. PM me for more info
Old 01-21-2009, 11:01 AM
DeltaTTZ

Originally Posted by reserved
I got a reckless driving ticket in Charlottesville a couple of years ago (over 80 mph in a 65 zone). I went to court myself and the judge reduced it to just a speeding ticket.
First, get your speedometer calibrated. Hopefully, that will reduce your 55 mph to something slightly lower.
Go online and print your excellent driving record from the DMV (only costs a few $)
Go to court yourself with both those documents, along with a humble and respectful attitude. Plead not guilty to reckless driving, but concede that you were speeding. (you do NOT want reckless driving on your record!)
+1 If you do this it will most likely be dropped to speeding ticket. i just got lawyers to cover my a## because of a terrible driving record
Old 01-21-2009, 11:22 AM
aykut

Originally Posted by reserved

Where can i get my speedometer calibrated ? Any idea how much it costs ?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:19 PM
langtubip
not fast enuff

just go to court, pay for your ticket, live with it, and drive careful next time. i was charged with wreckless driving in the parking lot a year ago. paid $250 for it, wreckless driving on my record, insurance went from $700 to $1400.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:40 PM
GT-RDreamz

I recieved a wreckless in October and went to court for it in December. My advice to you is to not get a lawyer. It is a waste of money for traffic violations.
If you want to get it reduced I suggest taking a class (maybe $50). If you show up and they see you've already "taken steps to better your habbits", they will likely go easier on you. It's what I did, and the ticket has been wiped off my record completely. Taking one will also help your insurance situation if you notify them and let them know you completed the course.

BTW, I know what road you were on, and I live five minutes up the street from where you were likely pulled over. Just a heads up, that road is a breeding ground for cops, but I suppose you already figured that out, lol.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:45 PM
ajcool2

Originally Posted by langtubip
just go to court, pay for your ticket, live with it, and drive careful next time. i was charged with wreckless driving in the parking lot a year ago. paid $250 for it, wreckless driving on my record, insurance went from $700 to $1400.
Good to know Im not alone in my insurance woes.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:39 PM
langtubip
not fast enuff

$700 for a single mistake i guess thats life. i was drunk that night too but the cop only gave me wreckless, and i had 3 others in my passenger seat
Old 01-21-2009, 03:38 PM
aykut

Originally Posted by GT-RDreamz
I recieved a wreckless in October and went to court for it in December. My advice to you is to not get a lawyer. It is a waste of money for traffic violations.
If you want to get it reduced I suggest taking a class (maybe $50). If you show up and they see you've already "taken steps to better your habbits", they will likely go easier on you. It's what I did, and the ticket has been wiped off my record completely. Taking one will also help your insurance situation if you notify them and let them know you completed the course.

BTW, I know what road you were on, and I live five minutes up the street from where you were likely pulled over. Just a heads up, that road is a breeding ground for cops, but I suppose you already figured that out, lol.

Sent you a pm regarding the driving school, can you please let me know.. Thanks man..
Old 01-21-2009, 05:31 PM
ZRuggernDC

Dude, Judges drop the wreckless driving if you go to court. You get slapped with the speeding ticket but usually decreased fine. VA will give you a good deep one without a reach around cause, its VA.

Good luck. I worried about my wreckless but my insurance didn't go up or anything so.

P.S. Fairfax county ftl.

Quick Reply: Reckless Driving Ticket, please give some idea