Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Got a few questions for body work experts here

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009 | 09:45 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Default Got a few questions for body work experts here

As some of you know I just got my car back a few days ago. I have a few questions regarding to body work.

1. The body shop didn't install fender liners for me. The front bumper was almost completely re-built so the clips and holes are gone. What do I need to do in order to install the fender liners back? I recall I need to get some "clips" and bolts to do so?

2. The body shop forgot to plug in the headlight wires. Can I plug those harnesses in without taking off the bumper and headlights? It's quite a hassle to do so. I might need Ricky's small hands to help on this one.

3. The side skirts, rear bumper and front bumper are repainted. The side skirts and rear bumper's paint came out perfectly matching the rest of the car. However the front bumper is obviously lighter than the rest. From what I know the front bumper was painted last. I contacted the body shop and they said it might take another week or two for the paint to cure since it's cold outside and the paint might get darker as it cures. Is it true that as the paint cures it'll get darker? The shop said they used the same mix for the side skirts, rear bumper and the front bumper, so it shouldn't be off by that much.

Thanks in advance! I know I'm a problem child.

Picture of the front
Old 01-26-2009 | 12:33 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

Roll it back in, talk to the owner or shop manager, give him a list, tell him to fix it and call you when its done.
Old 01-26-2009 | 12:36 PM
SeniorZ 09
Banned

More pics of girl
Old 01-26-2009 | 12:46 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by SeniorZ 09
More pics of girl
Nah.. not worth the time and effort. She ain't all that.
Old 01-26-2009 | 12:48 PM
Driven1
Professional

1) Fenders liners should be put back in by the shop. I wouldn't drive around w/o them bet they aren't a necessity per se.

2) You can hook the headlights up from underneath but I'd make them do it. Kind of amateurish if you ask me and it should have been done

3) It can darken while curing but I'd need to see how "off" the color is. The chances are it won't match if it was painted with a different mix than that used on the other parts. Blending is key when doing paints as metallic as that color.
Old 01-26-2009 | 02:08 PM
350Track

Curing is horse manure...that ain't going to match any time in the next five years bro, and I can tell you that just from that picture! If anything it's only going to lighten. I use to paint cars at a Body Shop. You better put your fender liners back in ASAP, half your wiring harness and front headlamps are right behind, there's going to be crap and water flying all in there!
Old 01-26-2009 | 02:54 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Maybe it's in my head. So I looked at the car again today and I feel like the color of the front bumper did get darker compared to 2 days ago when I picked up the car.

This is from 2 days ago

These 2 pictures are taken this afternoon

As you can see the rear bumper was repainted as well but it's matched perfectly

This is confusing me... I'm just gonna get a CF hood and forget about the whole paint match issue.
Old 01-26-2009 | 03:03 PM
haeshik

nope front bumper is still lighter, i don't think its that bad but if you're a perfectionist then i would go back and tell them to repaint front bumper
Old 01-26-2009 | 05:07 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

I think I'm gonna get a carbon fiber hood. No blending needed!
Old 01-26-2009 | 05:35 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

THIS IS FOR YOU STALKER

Wow grow the fuxk up. You Called Jason @ DTM up and told him I'm talking shxt about him on the forum? I created this thread to ask some general questions. I'm not too concerned about little things like headlights not plugged in and fender liners not installed because I know I can do those things easily myself or with help from a friend or two (Yes I actually work on my car myself instead of getting money from my daddy and pay shops to change my brake pads). I have stated in other threads that I am overall satisfied with the work from DTM. I will restate here that the fiberglass/molding work was excellent. But the paint job wasn't 100% perfect but I can live with it. I am being perfectly honest here and just stating the facts. If you want to start some drama, you come talk shxt to me directly. I know who you are. Actually we all know who you are.
Old 01-26-2009 | 05:41 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

you're trying to be a tough guy now? lol too funny. and what drama? I bet if I posted something about function all you nuthuggers would go running to Dave so I don't want to hear the crying

Last edited by Pun1sh3RZ; 01-26-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-26-2009 | 05:45 PM
07nismoz

ethan looks good brah. Im sorry I called haha haha
Old 01-26-2009 | 05:47 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by Pun1sh3RZ
you're trying to be a tough guy now? lol too funny
Wow you replied real quick! I guess you still have a special interest in my junkyard piece of scrap metal huh?
Old 01-26-2009 | 05:48 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by 07nismoz
ethan looks good brah. Im sorry I called haha haha
LOL shut up Matt. You don't even know where I took my car to. However your "classmate" was supposed to be "sponsored" by them. Hmm... Ex Car Toyz 2 nut hugger just found himself another set of *****?
Old 01-26-2009 | 05:48 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

Originally Posted by bb1314
Wow you replied real quick! I guess you still have a special interest in my junkyard piece of scrap metal huh?
lol considering you post is every single thread about my car sure why not, had to pop in when I saw you acting tough
Old 01-26-2009 | 05:52 PM
bsurdam
F-UR-ENZO

Originally Posted by Pun1sh3RZ
you're trying to be a tough guy now? lol too funny. and what drama? I bet if I posted something about function all you nuthuggers would go running to Dave so I don't want to hear the crying
so your admitting your a snitch?
Old 01-26-2009 | 05:59 PM
H4RDCOR3

Lol this is too funny. Ethan just because you can finish the work yourself doesnt mean it was done right. Why be happy with a half *** job and a shady paint job when you pay money for a job to be done right
Old 01-26-2009 | 06:05 PM
.steeeeZ33.
@ J&D auto

Originally Posted by H4RDCOR3
Lol this is too funny. Ethan just because you can finish the work yourself doesnt mean it was done right. Why be happy with a half *** job and a shady paint job when you pay money for a job to be done right
+1// for how long it took. it seems as if someone grabbed a paintmatch for dummies book and went to town.. for how long u didnt have the car, i would not be happy with how it turned out. Paint match wise.. everything else looks amazing.
Old 01-26-2009 | 06:08 PM
bsurdam
F-UR-ENZO

if i had a ss car i wouldnt pay for a chrome silver paint job but thats just me.
Old 01-26-2009 | 06:12 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by H4RDCOR3
Yea I hear you on that. I'm still not 100% sure about the front bumper's paint match. I am just gonna wait out and see if it does get darker as it cures. I have to give them benefit of the doubt since they matched the rest of the parts perfectly Like I said the side skirts and rear bumper match perfectly. So that leads me to believe the shop does know their stuff and do have the ability to paint match silver(which is one the hardest color to match). About the headlights and fenders, it's an honest mistake. Jason mentioned to me that I could go back and he'll fix those issues. As you see I am asking questions in this thread instead of bashing. His shop is in Sterling, VA and I live in Columbia, MD. It's quite a drive. That's why I'm just trying to fix the issues myself if it's an easy fix.

Quick Reply: Got a few questions for body work experts here