Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Getting Coilovers, Have a Question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:41 AM
Jgrizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there is a shop in bmore that is f'ing awesome. The guy is amazing. Its Called Hill's Garage. Frank Hill owns it. I wont take my cars anywhere else. Ive never had such a good experience with a mechanic before. The guy knows his chit. he doesnt do alignments but he has a shop that he takes his work to. Just wanted to give you guys the 411.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:51 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jgrizzle
Hey there is a shop in bmore that is f'ing awesome. The guy is amazing. Its Called Hill's Garage. Frank Hill owns it. I wont take my cars anywhere else. Ive never had such a good experience with a mechanic before. The guy knows his chit. he doesnt do alignments but he has a shop that he takes his work to. Just wanted to give you guys the 411.
Wow that's some news for Mid-A! Frank's awesome.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 AM
Jgrizzle

I was just trying to promote where I can. I just had another good experience so it was on the top of my mind. Just making sure peeps know whats up

I know its an earth shattering update HA!

Last edited by Jgrizzle; 01-29-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:11 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

I was just trying to promote where I can. I just had another good experience so it was on the top of my mind. Just making sure peeps know whats up

I know its an earth shattering update HA!
haha I hear you man. I love Dave Shiroma's work to death. But driving from Columbia to Function:Tuned is quite a drive. I have a few small projects in mind. I'll definitely take a visit to Hill's Garage.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:15 AM
Jgrizzle

I havent had anything crazy done to my car. Just normal maintenance stuff but even with just small stuff I couldnt be happier. If you ever head over let me know. I live in the city (south baltimore) pretty close to the shop. Id love to meet a few more of you guys from the forum
Old 01-29-2009, 06:23 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

I havent had anything crazy done to my car. Just normal maintenance stuff but even with just small stuff I couldnt be happier. If you ever head over let me know. I live in the city (south baltimore) pretty close to the shop. Id love to meet a few more of you guys from the forum
Does Frank still do any crazy custom work? I want someone to custom make me a piece of under tray out of sheet metal to cover the bottom of the front bumper to protect water/salt from going into the engine bay.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:30 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

Originally Posted by bb1314
Does Frank still do any crazy custom work? I want someone to custom make me a piece of under tray out of sheet metal to cover the bottom of the front bumper to protect water/salt from going into the engine bay.
yeah man just give him a call
Old 01-29-2009, 06:35 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by Pun1sh3RZ
yeah man just give him a call
This is the kind of positive/constructive response I've been craving for from you for a long time Thanks Bryce.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:47 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

Originally Posted by bb1314
This is the kind of positive/constructive response I've been craving for from you for a long time Thanks Bryce.
lol np pm me if you need his number
Old 01-29-2009, 07:48 AM
pfregeolle

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose2008Z
Hey Paul, any reason why you went with the Greddy coilovers? I'm thinking of getting the Stance GR+ Pro's...
Jose-

I guess one big reason I went with the GReddy is because I got a sick deal on them, and a free electronic dampening unit was included when I bought it. So I got about 900 dollars off MSRP of what it should have cost.

But also I'm a GReddy *****, and love all their products for some reason. I don't know why, just because I guess. It's really a stupid reason, but I just always have loved their products.

I hear the Stance GR+ pros are good. Sinan (sbzenth) has them on his car, and they look good. But I just have a thing about putting non japanese aftermarket parts on my car hahaha Even though I'm sure a lot of parts are actually made here, but its originally a japanese brand. Like I said, I'm a GReddy *****. haha

-Paul
Old 01-29-2009, 07:50 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

^ It's the JDM virus. We all got a little bit of it.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 AM
abui01

^ Of all the higher end coilovers I've tried from Japan, I haven't found a liking for them yet.. at least not to drive in these city streets (for the Track, hells yes!) Japan designed their coilovers for their completely flat roads.. try throwing on a set of Cusco Zero II's on these roads compared to a German made coilover which were more designed for our roads in the states: Night and Day!

Try not to fall into "name brand advertising" as some may call it. In the end, it's a tube of metal filled with gas attached to a spring. The difference is the R&D behind the construction of the coilover. Do your research very carefully when you buy suspension products, it's almost if not more important than a good FI setup w/ a good tune.

The euro brands: Bilstein, Ohlin, KW - all track proven. Half of the european cars use Bilstein shocks for a reason. They have a proven history! In fact, my last 3 cars had the Bilstein PSS9's and everyone that has test drove my cars said it's the best chit they ever rode in since it was comfortable as stock + handled on rails.

Then again, I like the design of Stance as well. I haven't ridden in a Stance equipped car yet but their GR+ system with external valving looks pretty dope.

Last edited by abui01; 01-29-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:34 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by abui01
^ Of all the higher end coilovers I've tried from Japan, I haven't found a liking for them yet.. at least not to drive in these city streets (for the Track, hells yes!) Japan designed their coilovers for their completely flat roads.. try throwing on a set of Cusco Zero II's on these roads compared to a German made coilover which were more designed for our roads in the states: Night and Day!

Try not to fall into "name brand advertising" as some may call it. In the end, it's a tube of metal filled with gas attached to a spring. The difference is the R&D behind the construction of the coilover. Do your research very carefully when you buy suspension products, it's almost if not more important than a good FI setup w/ a good tune.

The euro brands: Bilstein, Ohlin, KW - all track proven. Half of the european cars use Bilstein shocks for a reason. They have a proven history! In fact, my last 3 cars had the Bilstein PSS9's and everyone that has test drove my cars said it's the best chit they ever rode in since it was comfortable as stock + handled on rails.

Then again, I like the design of Stance as well. I haven't ridden in a Stance equipped car yet but their GR+ system with external valving looks pretty dope.
But the yellow and blue plastic looking covers on the Bilstein Pss9's look mad ugly.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 AM
woodrow88

i dont want to hi-jack the thread sorry paul but i want to buy some coilovers but i dont know what to get or what im looking for haha whats good and whats bad any ideas for me to check out
Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Jgrizzle

Ethan Frank knows a guy in the same complex that his shop is in that has full metal working capabilities. He was talking about it last time I was over there for my tires. I think there was a APS single that was having some exhaust problems and they need to fab something up for it (i may be wrong about the car).

Hills Garage
4700 Belle Grove RD
Baltimore MD
Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Jgrizzle

Paul sorry for the hijacking by the way
Old 01-29-2009, 11:08 AM
abui01

Originally Posted by woodrow88
i dont want to hi-jack the thread sorry paul but i want to buy some coilovers but i dont know what to get or what im looking for haha whats good and whats bad any ideas for me to check out
Read the entire thread, there have been some good points that have been covered. Oh yeah, and whatever you do, don't cheap-out and get the under 1k Chinese rebadged coilovers.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Jgrizzle

Read the entire thread, there have been some good points that have been covered. Oh yeah, and whatever you do, don't cheap-out and get the under 1k Chinese rebadged coilovers.

+1 good stuff in this thread
Old 01-29-2009, 11:31 AM
woodrow88

ok kool thanks
Old 01-29-2009, 11:41 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

Question: Just had my coilovers [HKS3], sways, [Hotchkiss] and rear,lower control arms installed [SPC] and had an alignment done. I didn't read this thread in time and took it to Sears @ Columbia Mall. Ever since the alignment was done, I noticed this "whup-whup-whup" noise coming from the rear. Have any of you heard this sound before or know what I'm talking about?
[BTW, the rear tires are brand new so maybe they're making the sound]

Quick Reply: Getting Coilovers, Have a Question!