Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Getting Coilovers, Have a Question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009 | 01:33 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Question: Just had my coilovers [HKS3], sways, [Hotchkiss] and rear,lower control arms installed [SPC] and had an alignment done. I didn't read this thread in time and took it to Sears @ Columbia Mall. Ever since the alignment was done, I noticed this "whup-whup-whup" noise coming from the rear. Have any of you heard this sound before or know what I'm talking about?
[BTW, the rear tires are brand new so maybe they're making the sound]
Different Tires will make different amounts of road noise. I'd keep a close eye on them, and check them often for any excessive wear.
Old 01-29-2009 | 01:43 PM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by mdracer76
Different Tires will make different amounts of road noise. I'd keep a close eye on them, and check them often for any excessive wear.
Trouble is, I'll be switching them out in a few weeks for some 19's. [waiting for all this white stuff to melt]. I've never had road noise before, can lowering the car actually contribute to excessive road noise?
Sorry if that's a dumb question BTW...
Old 01-29-2009 | 01:44 PM
abui01

Question: Just had my coilovers [HKS3], sways, [Hotchkiss] and rear,lower control arms installed [SPC] and had an alignment done. I didn't read this thread in time and took it to Sears @ Columbia Mall. Ever since the alignment was done, I noticed this "whup-whup-whup" noise coming from the rear. Have any of you heard this sound before or know what I'm talking about?
[BTW, the rear tires are brand new so maybe they're making the sound]
HKS has pillowball mounts which can sometimes make clunky noises, but that would be a *clunk clunk clunk* instead of a *whup*

*whup whup* sounds like cupped tires. Does it get louder when you go faster? I don't think this is an alignment issue, alignments don't make noise

OR...

You could have the infamous "axle-click" but I doubt it.
Old 01-29-2009 | 01:52 PM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by abui01
HKS has pillowball mounts which can sometimes make clunky noises, but that would be a *clunk clunk clunk* instead of a *whup*

*whup whup* sounds like cupped tires. Does it get louder when you go faster? I don't think this is an alignment issue, alignments don't make noise

OR...

You could have the infamous "axle-click" but I doubt it.
I opted for the ghetto thump subwoofer setup in my hatch so I really never noticed, but I tend to hear it when I'm slowing down.
Old 01-29-2009 | 01:54 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

[]
Yup! Go there for all your alignment needs. They have an "in-ground" alignment system made for all lowered cars. It's the only shop I take my car to for alignments.
+1 same here.

Last edited by dutchboy350Z; 01-29-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2009 | 02:20 PM
pfregeolle

^ That thing is too cool. I was reading all about it on their services pages for ptuning.
Old 01-29-2009 | 02:34 PM
abui01

I opted for the ghetto thump subwoofer setup in my hatch so I really never noticed, but I tend to hear it when I'm slowing down.
When you "slow down" are you pressing your brakes or are you letting it coast to a stop? Warped rotors tend to make whup noises.

Try isolating the noise itself. Drive w/ no music on, windows down then drive with windows up. Try to find out what side it's coming from. Then try to find out if the noise gets louder as you speed up or quieter? Does the car shake/vibrate at a certain RPM or speed? If it's faint, how fast do you have to drive to hear it? Cars should not make any noise PERIOD (unless you have pillowball mounts.) If it makes noise, something is wrong. It sounds wheel related though.
Old 01-29-2009 | 02:37 PM
WYZIWYG

When you "slow down" are you pressing your brakes or are you letting it coast to a stop? Warped rotors tend to make whup noises.

Try isolating the noise itself. Drive w/ no music on, windows down then drive with windows up. Try to find out what side it's coming from. Then try to find out if the noise gets louder as you speed up or quieter? Does the car shake/vibrate at a certain RPM or speed? If it's faint, how fast do you have to drive to hear it? Cars should not make any noise PERIOD (unless you have pillowball mounts.) If it makes noise, something is wrong. It sounds wheel related though.
Thanks for the heads up. I should be getting new rotors [STOPTECH], pads [Hawk] and steel lines installed very shortly so when my wheels come off again I'll mention this to the mechanic.
Old 01-29-2009 | 02:46 PM
Z33@SIM

As far as endlinks go. What are you guys running/using?
Old 01-29-2009 | 03:08 PM
abui01

Originally Posted by Z33@SIM
As far as endlinks go. What are you guys running/using?
SPL Parts

Thanks for the heads up. I should be getting new rotors [STOPTECH], pads [Hawk] and steel lines installed very shortly so when my wheels come off again I'll mention this to the mechanic.
Good luck trying to stop in the rain!!! LOL You'll see what I mean very shortly.
Old 01-29-2009 | 05:50 PM
Jose2008Z

Did Sears by any chance "test drive" your car? Maybe they slammed the brakes on the car trying to stop from a high rate of speed and you have a flat spot on the tires. Just a thought...
Old 01-29-2009 | 05:53 PM
Jose2008Z

Originally Posted by pfregeolle
Jose-

I guess one big reason I went with the GReddy is because I got a sick deal on them, and a free electronic dampening unit was included when I bought it. So I got about 900 dollars off MSRP of what it should have cost.

But also I'm a GReddy *****, and love all their products for some reason. I don't know why, just because I guess. It's really a stupid reason, but I just always have loved their products.

I hear the Stance GR+ pros are good. Sinan (sbzenth) has them on his car, and they look good. But I just have a thing about putting non japanese aftermarket parts on my car hahaha Even though I'm sure a lot of parts are actually made here, but its originally a japanese brand. Like I said, I'm a GReddy *****. haha

-Paul

Do you know how low you'll be able to go? Will they go as low as that picture I posted the other day? I want reliable stuff that's good quality. If anyone knows about the Stance GR+ Pros, let me know please.
Old 01-30-2009 | 04:22 AM
pfregeolle

The most accurate measurement I can find is it says: Full ride and height adjustable.

So I guess its adjustable to as high or low you want to go on the threaded tube. Here's a link to the page on Trust's website:

http://www.trust-power.com/overseas/...ce_damper.html

-Paul
Old 01-30-2009 | 04:45 AM
pfregeolle

Hey does anyone know how safe/unsafe it is to paint the springs on a coilover kit? Hahaha it seems like a dumb question. But I really hate the red springs hahaha I want to just paint them white or gold or bronze or something else but red. I like the color combo set up on the HKS Hipermax III sport. Gold and white. Looks so sick.
Old 01-30-2009 | 05:42 AM
Jgrizzle

paul you get concerned with the weirdest stuff. Seriously though I dont know how long paint would last on the springs. Its usually more of a rubber coating due to the forces exerted by the car on the springs. I mean think about what they are actually doing. Someone can correct me if im wrong.

Powder coat maybe?
Old 01-30-2009 | 06:17 AM
pfregeolle

Yea that's why I am afraid to paint them hahaha I have a spring that I stole from a booth at hot import nights, and I painted it metallic gold, from the ugly sky blue color that it was, and I have it sitting on display atop my nismo lmgt-4's coffee table hahaha

Im just afraid that painting springs would actually take away from their purpose. Does anyone know of somewhere that would be able to put like a durable rubber coating paint on springs. or whatever type of paint they use? I just hate the color red hahaha
Old 01-30-2009 | 06:34 AM
Jgrizzle

Its not gonna hurt them I think it will just flake off though. I mean, no way paint is going to hinder springs
Old 01-30-2009 | 07:25 AM
abui01

Your best bet is brake caliper paint @ ur local Advanced Auto. But without any high industry paint w/ flex additives, the sucker will just chip right off since springs constantly compress/depress.

You'd also have to disassemble the coilovers to paint them correctly without it lookin all whacked to hell.
Old 01-30-2009 | 07:39 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

+1 for Greddy Type-S with a free Dampener
Old 01-30-2009 | 02:41 PM
pfregeolle

^ THANKS AGAIN MICHAEL! : ) You should have someone out there paint my springs before you all ship them out, and I could have some one-off GReddy Type-S's!!! : )

P.S. I still need my invoice por favor. Thanks broham!

Quick Reply: Getting Coilovers, Have a Question!