Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Altered Atmosphere '09 KickOff Meet & Welcoming Party

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:09 AM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by __jb
I understand that some of you guys might have beefs with past AAM people, but Jeremy is a good guy. He busted his butt at the PF in Florida and turned out some really good cars... my G being one of them.

Perhaps you guys could give Jeremy a chance before bashing him. Let him get settled in and get his bearings. You might be pleasantly surprised.
I've already heard many good things about Jeremy and I trust he is a good person as well as Clint and Jon no one is Bashing him or Clint or Jon or ect directly.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Merlyn

Merlyn....Ex employee of AAM....correct? Or still currently working there? - Ex

AAM's reputation spreads FAR longer than just the Nissan platforms....that's pretty old news. - Yes it is... but at the same time, because it is soo old... how can you hold old employee behavor against the current company. Everyone points to Mike, but in reality do you really think Mike was trying to **** people... You have to be a moron to expect to have a successful business while screwing people over... sometimes bad employees leave a bad mark on a company, but once those employees are gone how can you really blame AAM?

RECENTLY is the key word here. Time will tell. You can't take 1 yr and span the history of 10+ quite that easily. - That is true, but again, are you held to the mistakes of your past everyday? I did a lot of bad things when I was kid however I grew up and thankfully that stuff is not held against me...

This is for the most part true...HOWEVER...there are some VERY knowledgable people who don't work on their own cars. With that said...Car guys typically hang together and this can included the knowledgable ones. Some things can be done wrong that even an amateur home hack can figure out. - That is true... but before we get off topic... we are making assumptions here "Some things can be done wrong that evee an amatuer home hack can figure out", example or I don't need to defend the point...

Ever heard of a second or third opinion? - Yes, have you ever heard of spite, or jealousy or CYA... you can't always trust a person, especially if they have something against another company or person... so yes, I have heard of it, but after watching the Mid-A for the last year, I would not trust any of you for an honest opinion... because Money is envolved... whether your friends shop, or your own interest...

Come on...You can typically tell whether something "went wrong" or was neglected. Tell me how you can tell a motor was assembled wrong versus neglect via driving... Again back to my other point you can say that it was put together wrong but refer to my last answer... I don't trust any of you....

Breaking points can be reasonably determined and estimated by the parts and quality of parts used and their ratings. (I'm assuming you're talking about internals of an engine). "Shortening the life" is a pretty broad statment and hasn't really been shown there are A LOT of pretty factory cars running around with boost on this platform with a TON of miles...that's more determined by maintenance IMO. Also comes down to driving style, not to call him out but I would not expect Alberto's car to last to 100k because of his driving style...

Whats "driving it the wrong way"? Just trying to figure out what you mean by this? - Probably should not have said "wrong way" but simply.. constantly ******* the car, not monitoring your gauges... not properly maintaining your car, or following the shops guidelines (breaking the car in etc)

This is a pretty big assumption...there are quite a few people who are VERY knowledgable and completely capable of doing it themsleves but don't have the time, the space, nor want to do it b/c they're too busy making the money to pay for it (career and lifestyle choice). This is mostly the guys who are a little older and this ISN'T their first rodeo modding a car. If they've done it before...well they probably know alot of the basics and have different connections is specialty areas (i.e. motor building, tuning, fabrication, mechanical, installation). That is true, but again I am defending a shop here, and the heresay regarding them, not fictional events / encounters.. so you are right, but that is not the case in my opinion.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Driven1
Professional

Merlyn....Ex employee of AAM....correct? Or still currently working there? - Ex

AAM's reputation spreads FAR longer than just the Nissan platforms....that's pretty old news. - Yes it is... but at the same time, because it is soo old... how can you hold old employee behavor against the current company. Everyone points to Mike, but in reality do you really think Mike was trying to **** people... You have to be a moron to expect to have a successful business while screwing people over... sometimes bad employees leave a bad mark on a company, but once those employees are gone how can you really blame AAM?

B/C it hasn't been the employees anyone is talking about. In the end the responsible party in the owner not the employees. There are numerous cases and documentation even from employess (good one's) of Mike's direct influence and decisions on matters that have been question.

RECENTLY is the key word here. Time will tell. You can't take 1 yr and span the history of 10+ quite that easily. - That is true, but again, are you held to the mistakes of your past everyday? I did a lot of bad things when I was kid however I grew up and thankfully that stuff is not held against me...

You must be held accountable for your own actions...past and present. Prison and court recods don't just disappear and can be detrimental towards many of your future goals. The fact is...when you're a business owner you're an adult not a kid anymore.

This is for the most part true...HOWEVER...there are some VERY knowledgable people who don't work on their own cars. With that said...Car guys typically hang together and this can included the knowledgable ones. Some things can be done wrong that even an amateur home hack can figure out. - That is true... but before we get off topic... we are making assumptions here "Some things can be done wrong that evee an amatuer home hack can figure out", example or I don't need to defend the point...

One example. Not seeting a rev limiter on an Automatic transmition car.

Ever heard of a second or third opinion? - Yes, have you ever heard of spite, or jealousy or CYA... you can't always trust a person, especially if they have something against another company or person... so yes, I have heard of it, but after watching the Mid-A for the last year, I would not trust any of you for an honest opinion... because Money is envolved... whether your friends shop, or your own interest...

So how are we to trust a business owner who's direct purpose and drive is to make money and has been called out for questionable work and decisions prior? If one person tells me one thing...then multiple reputable sources say the opposite and have the same opinion. Who am I to believe?

Come on...You can typically tell whether something "went wrong" or was neglected. Tell me how you can tell a motor was assembled wrong versus neglect via driving... Again back to my other point you can say that it was put together wrong but refer to my last answer... I don't trust any of you....

Proper analysis, disassebly, and pictures are worth 1000 words. For example a case of detonation can be seen upon disassebly and analysis. How do people and companies do R&D to develop parts if you could never tell what happened?

Breaking points can be reasonably determined and estimated by the parts and quality of parts used and their ratings. (I'm assuming you're talking about internals of an engine). "Shortening the life" is a pretty broad statment and hasn't really been shown there are A LOT of pretty factory cars running around with boost on this platform with a TON of miles...that's more determined by maintenance IMO. Also comes down to driving style, not to call him out but I would not expect Alberto's car to last to 100k because of his driving style...

But when a motor goes that has been built for XXX HP and doesn't make 50% of the specified number and still goes boom?

Whats "driving it the wrong way"? Just trying to figure out what you mean by this? - Probably should not have said "wrong way" but simply.. constantly ******* the car, not monitoring your gauges... not properly maintaining your car, or following the shops guidelines (breaking the car in etc).

Just b/c you run a car hard doesn't necessarily mean it's goin to break. We won't go into break in b/c thats a whole nother thread and has already been discussed over and over. Maintenance is key but most of the cases that are being referred to didn't even make it to the next period for maintenance.

Proper break in of a motor should be done on a dyno. IMO by the builder before being given to the paying customer.

This is a pretty big assumption...there are quite a few people who are VERY knowledgable and completely capable of doing it themsleves but don't have the time, the space, nor want to do it b/c they're too busy making the money to pay for it (career and lifestyle choice). This is mostly the guys who are a little older and this ISN'T their first rodeo modding a car. If they've done it before...well they probably know alot of the basics and have different connections is specialty areas (i.e. motor building, tuning, fabrication, mechanical, installation). That is true, but again I am defending a shop here, and the heresay regarding them, not fictional events / encounters.. so you are right, but that is not the case in my opinion.

Are you saying the issues that have been brought up in the past are heresay?

We should take this to PM's don't want to hijack the meet thread.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:29 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Merlyn vs. Driven1

Jon still has a S2000.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:31 PM
bsurdam
F-UR-ENZO

the business is only as good as the owner trust me been down that road with aam. then i joined the group of a million people who have taken their car to functioned after getting the shaft from aam
Old 02-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Merlyn

Originally Posted by Driven1
We should take this to PM's don't want to hijack the meet thread.
I have nothing to prove to you, I am trying to get the situation out in the open and hopefully taken care of... If you care to discuss this further in PM we can but all i am saying is...

In my eyes, and what I saw / heard while working for AAM, people were taken care of. As with any company things go wrong however I saw the problems getting fixed.

At the end of the day employees make up a company not the owner.

If I was told to do something I knew was wrong I would say no, I have that choice in this life, if I was fired, so be it I don't want to work for a place that won't accept my opinions. An employeer / business owner is responsible for the company in a whole, however he can not be expected to fully understand all areas of the company. Perfect example is Best Buy. People are hired (as companies grow) to take control of departments and structure of areas within the company. Yes, at the end of the day you can blame everything on a single person, but in reality you can't think that everyone else is a brainless zombie unable to know right from wrong.

Everyone at AAM at this point is doing the best they can to make AAM the best shop possible, because not only does their job rest on that, it is their passion.

Clint has gone out of his way for SOOOO many of you Mid-A fanboys that "Hate" AAM then call him up with problems or need help with a part you bought used off of a member here... Have you ever seen them turn you down, even though 10 min later you jump in the threads and talk trash about them.

AAM has done everything they can to prove themselves to the community and try to help everyone that has ever needed it. **** happened in the past, **** always does happen, but you guys can't let it go. I believe most of it comes down to your buddies shop that probably isn't doing to well in this economy, and I can understand why... but it is a really low blow to try to destroy one company so your buddy can stay in business... only time will tell but in my eyes you guys need to grow up and let the past be the past.

Whether you like it or not AAM has done a lot for the 350z community through R&D and product development... and if any of you care to sport the product and talk trash about the shop you are nothing more then a hyprocrit in my eyes....

Stand behind your belief or get off the band wagon...

Everytime I see trash talking and then see AAM in your sig it makes me laugh because if I don't like a company, I don't buy ANYTHING from them.

my 2 cents
Old 02-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Clint@Altered
Banned

Merlyn, very well put - my sentiments exactly.

Last edited by Clint@Altered; 02-03-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:42 PM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

Merlyn you grammar is quite impressive as well as the way you present yourself via the forums, but the fact of the matter is you seem to have one of the mentalities of the whole world is crazy not me. Granted you do bring up vaild strong points but you do have it twisted, I have seen a shop do some crazy HP on stock motors and still warranty them for a year and has never blown a motor. In due time I'm sure AAM will gain some respect but in due time you have to let the course play itself. I have received great amount of extra help from F:T and he has gone WAY OUT of his way, pricing is awesome seeing that he under charges labor(from wht it seems) because he gets the job done quicker and more meticulous(sp?) than the average shop.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Merlyn

Originally Posted by NX2KDET
Merlyn you grammar is quite impressive as well as the way you present yourself via the forums, but the fact of the matter is you seem to have one of the mentalities of the whole world is crazy not me. Granted you do bring up vaild strong points but you do have it twisted, I have seen a shop do some crazy HP on stock motors and still warranty them for a year and has never blown a motor. In due time I'm sure AAM will gain some respect but in due time you have to let the course play itself. I have received great amount of extra help from F:T and he has gone WAY OUT of his way, pricing is awesome seeing that he under charges labor(from wht it seems) because he gets the job done quicker and more meticulous(sp?) than the average shop.
I am not saying that Dave is not a stand up guy. I personally have never met him, just spoke to him over the phone. I am just doing what I feel is essential in my life, standing up for what I believe in. I am not trying to say one shop is good the other is bad, I'm just trying to defend AAM as no one else does.

I respect your views and your opinions and am not saying you are wrong in your beliefs. Honestly, most of my frustration is directed at the witty remarks that people make (one person particularly). It is fine if people try to help each other out with advice, it's another thing when a person purposely makes meets on the same day as AAM or tries to do everything in their power to stop people from going to the shop. At that point you have become very childish and I would like to think that we are all adults when in reality that is not always the case.

I personally have not met many of you I just know that a lot of you seem to have two faces and seem to find joy in bashing a shop.

It comes down to the simple idea... how would the soldiers feel if they knew that you guys were buying them shoes because AAM had a meet that day? The idea would never have occured to go visit Walter Reid if it wasn't for the fact a meet was scheduled by AAM and MDRacer wants to find a way to draw EVERYONE local to do something else. It's just sad, he says he is just trying to educate people when in reality he does everything in his power to try to destroy AAM on a daily basis.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlyn
I am not saying that Dave is not a stand up guy. I personally have never met him, just spoke to him over the phone. I am just doing what I feel is essential in my life, standing up for what I believe in. I am not trying to say one shop is good the other is bad, I'm just trying to defend AAM as no one else does.

I respect your views and your opinions and am not saying you are wrong in your beliefs. Honestly, most of my frustration is directed at the witty remarks that people make (one person particularly). It is fine if people try to help each other out with advice, it's another thing when a person purposely makes meets on the same day as AAM or tries to do everything in their power to stop people from going to the shop. At that point you have become very childish and I would like to think that we are all adults when in reality that is not always the case.

I personally have not met many of you I just know that a lot of you seem to have two faces and seem to find joy in bashing a shop.

It comes down to the simple idea... how would the soldiers feel if they knew that you guys were buying them shoes because AAM had a meet that day? The idea would never have occured to go visit Walter Reid if it wasn't for the fact a meet was scheduled by AAM and MDRacer wants to find a way to draw EVERYONE local to do something else. It's just sad, he says he is just trying to educate people when in reality he does everything in his power to try to destroy AAM on a daily basis.
It has gotten very old with Mikes bashing and i see only great things coming from AAM now that JT is there.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:59 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by __jb
I understand that some of you guys might have beefs with past AAM people, but Jeremy is a good guy. He busted his butt at the PF in Florida and turned out some really good cars... my G being one of them.

Perhaps you guys could give Jeremy a chance before bashing him. Let him get settled in and get his bearings. You might be pleasantly surprised.
I dont see anyone bashing JT at all.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Thanks guys!! The current staff has no control of anything that has or hasnt happened in the past. We do have full control of anything that happens from this point on. I dont understand why the slate hasnt been cleaned and refreshed.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 AM
shocka04

Originally Posted by superchargedg
It has gotten very old with Mikes bashing and i see only great things coming from AAM now that JT is there.
+1
Old 02-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Altered
I dont understand why the slate hasnt been cleaned and refreshed.
You cant expect even with your rep to change how many members feel about a shop in such little time. It will take years before we never see anyone bash AAM when they post anything.

Again, it doesnt have to do with you or newer employees.

edit-Keith STFU!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlyn
at you being a complete ****ing moron...

I just fed the troll but I figured I would speak my mind. Not like I post here much anyway...

If anyone at AAM wants me to remove this post give me a text / call and I will, I just wanted to speak my peace...
Considering you're a former employee that worked there for a whopping 9 months, you're really not helping out their cause. You probably should have kept that to yourself.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Driven1
Professional

A business and it's employees follow the direction of their leader and owner...end of story. As much as you say you would stand up if you felt something wasn't right, a VAST majority would not in fear of losing their job. Dale Carnegie wrote a book that covered this aspect and it has been studied immensely over the years.

The "buddies" shop definitely isn't hurting even in this economy...I can assure you that and is in no way threatened by AAM due to it not being tied specificaly to the VQ platforms.

I stand behind my belief..even though I may not be as vocal about it any longer...and have NEVER purchased an AAM product for any of the vehicles I have put together over the years.

Jeremy...YOU are the only one that has any positive history on this platform that we know of and you've only been ther a few weeks. You can't expect all to be forgotten just like that.

Merlyn, the Walter Reed trip was honestly thought of prior as well as other charitable. As far as the scheduling, I see your point.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Merlyn

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
Considering you're a former employee that worked there for a whopping 9 months, you're really not helping out their cause. You probably should have kept that to yourself.
Why should I have kept that to myself?

Because I saw how the company worked more then any of you have?

Because I watched situations getting fixed?

Because I had hands on experience with helping the Mid-A when they called with problems to only see them come on here and bash us?

Because I have actual experience with the company (I use to go to AAM before I became an employee) unlike most of you...

Tell me dutchboy... WHY should I have kept my thoughts to myself... none of you seem to be able to do that...
Old 02-04-2009, 11:07 AM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

I'll mark this on my calendar.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by gmueip
I'll mark this on my calendar.

Thanks and see you there. There will be a lot of people!
Old 02-06-2009, 09:30 AM
350Ricky
I like Rice

Jeremy, I hope to meet you one of these days. Ill try to make it to the meet but unfortunately I might be a little busy that day.

Quick Reply: Altered Atmosphere '09 KickOff Meet & Welcoming Party