Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

HELP: Looking for an IT Job

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009 | 05:41 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Default HELP: Looking for an IT Job

Hey Mid-A. I got a job in a commercial consulting firm as an Senior IT Consultant in the Baltimore area and moved down to Columbia, MD back in December 2008. The company had been doing really bad this past quarter due to the economy and had laid off a good number of people the past few days. I am feeling really insecure here since I have not gotten into a project since I've started here and it has been over 2 months. I know my time of getting laid off is coming soon and so I am seeking for an alternative. Anyone knows of any IT jobs in the Baltimore, Silver Spring, Rockville area? I know I should've stayed in NOVA but it's a bit too late to talk about that now...

I can email you my resume. Cliff Note on my qualifications: I have a BS degree on computer science. I have over 4 years of experience in software development/consulting. I worked for Micros System as a tester, IBM as a software developer, Booz Allen Hamilton as an IT Consultant and now Sogeti USA(Commerical consulting firm) as an IT Consultant.

I am looking for a position as a .Net Developer, Business Analyst, System Analyst, System Engineer, or IT Consultant. Oh wait.. I can even be system admin, database admin or network admin!

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 02-09-2009 | 05:46 AM
WYZIWYG

Ethan,

You should seriously consider a federal position with those qualifications. I work in IT as well and all my experience has come from on-the-job training. Check out www.usajobs.gov and search IT related fields. Some agencies are doing mass hirings right now so it's worth a look.

GL,

Clay
Old 02-09-2009 | 05:55 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Thanks Clay! I am gonna look into that!
Old 02-09-2009 | 06:03 AM
bigslim350Z

government job = job security
Old 02-09-2009 | 06:03 AM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

Do you know Javascript writing?
Old 02-09-2009 | 06:05 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by bigslim350Z
government job = job security
The only thing I'm concerned about government job is that it takes like months before you actually start. I don't think I have that much time.

Originally Posted by NX2KDET
Do you know Javascript writing?
I knew that since I was like 16...
Old 02-09-2009 | 06:12 AM
2008G35xsInMD

Do you hold any clearances?
Old 02-09-2009 | 06:14 AM
SS728

Originally Posted by bb1314
The only thing I'm concerned about government job is that it takes like months before you actually start. I don't think I have that much time.
Pays off in the end!

Could give this site a try...
http://www.aerotek.com/Jobs-Employment/
Old 02-09-2009 | 06:14 AM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

Well are you good at it?
Old 02-09-2009 | 06:16 AM
Jgrizzle

Dont know if they have anythign available and it may be more north than you wanted but the Aberdeen Proving grounds and Edgewood arsenal are getting tons of jobs for BRAC. It takes me less than 25 mins to get there from baltimore city because im opposite of traffic. Here is another website you can check out.

http://acpol.army.mil/employment/
Old 02-09-2009 | 06:18 AM
WYZIWYG

Some agencies are trying to streamline the red tape process because they realize they're losing quality people for this very reason. All federal agencies are feeling a crunch right now because of Obama's reputation as the "technology President". Many agencies are so far behind the curve [especially mine] that they'd probably hire you on the spot if you stressed your knowledge of YouTube, Blogging, multi-media, etc...
Old 02-09-2009 | 06:22 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by 2008G35xsInMD
Do you hold any clearances?
Unfortunately no. 2 years working at Booz and they started doing my clearance like a few months before I quit and the process was never completed. But I'm definitely clearable now that my all my immediate family members are in the US. Hook it up!

Originally Posted by SS728
Pays off in the end!

Could give this site a try...
http://www.aerotek.com/Jobs-Employment/
I tried them before. The problem with these places is that they could try to refer you to some junky jobs and most of them are contracts. I'll give it a try still though.

Well are you good at it?
I'm not sure if I want to be a JAVAscript writer. I hate to say this but that's sorta a waste of my talent.

Originally Posted by Jgrizzle
Dont know if they have anythign available and it may be more north than you wanted but the Aberdeen Proving grounds and Edgewood arsenal are getting tons of jobs for BRAC. It takes me less than 25 mins to get there from baltimore city because im opposite of traffic. Here is another website you can check out.

http://acpol.army.mil/employment/
Aberdeen? That's quite a hike from Columbia! But I'm gonna look into that still. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2009 | 06:24 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Some agencies are trying to streamline the red tape process because they realize they're losing quality people for this very reason. All federal agencies are feeling a crunch right now because of Obama's reputation as the "technology President". Many agencies are so far behind the curve [especially mine] that they'd probably hire you on the spot if you stressed your knowledge of YouTube, Blogging, multi-media, etc...
Oh really? That's good to know!!!! Federal job it is! I've always been on the dark side(a contractor that charges government $100+ an hour) and I think it's time to be a Jedi.
Old 02-09-2009 | 06:30 AM
Jgrizzle

Aberdeen? That's quite a hike from Columbia! But I'm gonna look into that still. Thanks!
Move out of the sticks. Baltimore City FTW. HAHAHA. Edgewood isnt as far as aberdeen. But youre right its a hike. Then again for the right job......
Old 02-09-2009 | 07:26 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Anyone works for Northrop Grumman that can give me a referral?
Old 02-09-2009 | 07:28 AM
ZRuggernDC

Yo, you should have called me. Send me you resume, other options than just regular gov't.

Blackshire@mitre.org

We are looking for engineers for the Fort Meade site and are hiring now. I am damn sure not moving up there for this.
Old 02-09-2009 | 07:30 AM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

Originally Posted by ZRuggernDC
Yo, you should have called me. Send me you resume, other options than just regular gov't.

Blackshire@mitre.org

We are looking for engineers for the Fort Meade site and are hiring now. I am damn sure not moving up there for this.
Explain engineer and the job duties I might send you my resume too.
Old 02-09-2009 | 07:32 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Blackshire@mitre.org

Sending you my resume today!
Old 02-09-2009 | 07:45 AM
ZRuggernDC

Explain engineer and the job duties I might send you my resume too.
Systems Engineer or Systems Architech...
My division is opening up a site at Fort Meade and are asking us here that work in Washington to go up there. So far we are all just joining other divisions cause noone wants to move up there... Bump that.
I just got a friend of mine a damn good as developer job with the company but he turned it down cause his commute didn't line up with the job, what a dumb ***. I called him and told him to stay jobless. He only lives in the Kingstown area to work in McLean, seriously just get up earlier... For almost 6 figures i would say that would be worth it..
Old 02-09-2009 | 07:54 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Systems Engineer or Systems Architech...
My division is opening up a site at Fort Meade and are asking us here that work in Washington to go up there. So far we are all just joining other divisions cause noone wants to move up there... Bump that.
I just got a friend of mine a damn good as developer job with the company but he turned it down cause his commute didn't line up with the job, what a dumb ***. I called him and told him to stay jobless. He only lives in the Kingstown area to work in McLean, seriously just get up earlier... For almost 6 figures i would say that would be worth it..
Works out perfect for me since I live in Columbia! Do they have any software developer position? I don't mind a System Engineer job since I've done that type of work. But I prefer to be a computer geek if I can!

Quick Reply: HELP: Looking for an IT Job