Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Need your feedback! Who's got a F:T FI Tune or Tune/Install that's blown up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:30 PM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your feedback! Who's got a F:T FI Tune or Tune/Install that's blown up?

Hey Everyone! I think we're on almost our 150th FI tune and pretty close to 75th FI install/tune. Other then the April Fool's joke from two year ago does anyone have a blown stock or built motor that I installed and tuned or just tuned? Also if your motor is or isn't blown can you post up some specs?

Kit?
Boost?
HP? (Real DynDynamics Power)
Years FI?
Miles FI?
Blown up or Not Blown up?
Old 04-23-2009, 03:36 PM
bigslim350Z

Originally Posted by DaveFunction2ND
Hey Everyone! I think we're on almost our 150th FI tune and pretty close to 75th FI install/tune. Other then the April Fool's joke from two year ago does anyone have a blown stock or built motor that I installed and tuned or just tuned? Also if your motor is or isn't blown can you post up some specs?

Kit?
Boost?
Years FI?
Miles FI?
Kit: JWT 530 bb series
boost: 9 psi
HP: 375 real DynoDynamics HP and 400 real DynoDynamics TQ
Years FI: 2006 - 2008 Supercharger 30k - 40k miles
2008 - present Turbo 40k - 50k miles
Not blown up

Function Tuned FTW!

(bored with ~400 hp and hoping to get money together to go built and 500 hp eventually)
Old 04-23-2009, 04:41 PM
terps

OH boy, i can see the drama coming but

Kit:APS Single
Boost:9psi
Hp/tq:"371.3hp/360ish tq"
Years: 2007-009
Not Blow Up

Currently running different tune...from a different shop

Last edited by terps; 04-23-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:49 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rut roe.....but

kit-greddy twins
boost- 6 or 9psi
hp/tq-351/391
years-2007/current
Not blown up

also had the stillen on for 3 and 1/2 years prior.Installed twins myself and Dave tuned it.Btw Dave i have been having a wierd issue lately.....under light load and in 5th in the at it has been bucking and surging.If i put it in 4th it all goes away...othewise it still pulls hard as hell.Any ideas....oh and ill be at your meet maybe we could go for a drive.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Dave, you should just post up Dyno graphs of them for everyone to see.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:05 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kit: ATI Procharger
Boost: 15psi Pulley with 11psi Wastegate
HP/TQ: 353/357
Year - 2007 - Current
Had a bent rod due to water damage back in summer 2008 (Still no one knows how the water got in there up to this day!). Swapped in a new stock short block and had been running since winter 2008
Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 PM
PolarBearppw
Just a radiator

Kit: Greddy TT
Boost: 9psi
HP/TQ: 368hp not sure on the torque
Year: May 2008 - Present 18k miles
Old 04-23-2009, 05:31 PM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kit: JWT 700bb | Built motor
Boost: 9, 12, 14psi - depends on my mood
HP: Find out the fun way!
Years FI: 07-Current
Miles FI: 25k
Still trying to blow it up, but it's not working

Cons of FI: power steering line leak, coolant hose leak, air conditioner line leak - JWT piping rubbage FTL! Dave insulated and replaced the lines so we no longer have issues with things rubbing through the factory lines. Check Engline Light from Test Pipes, (which I could care less about) I don't have non-foulers - that's just too much added weight. HmMm.. what else.. oh yes.. I go through 4-5 sets of rear tires a year, but at least there's a smile on my face when the rubber is burning.

Pros of FI: Never been beaten! WooOT! (don't even have to shift past 3k rpms! Hellz yeah!) But the best thing about FI is Peace of F'king Mind from a tuner that knows what he's doing. Blowing up is for noobs who can't tune.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:40 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kit? Powerlab
Boost? Yes please I mean 8.5
HP? (Real DynDynamics Power) 373 was it?
Years FI? 1
Miles FI? not sure but not many. Garage queen.
Blown up or Not Blown up? not yet.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:12 PM
jtgli

Greddy TT
9 PSI
378whp on FT dyno
F/I for 2 1/2 years (Vortech before the Greddy TT kit)
Over 15,000 miles boosted (both Vortech & Greddy TT)
And havent blown up yet....

Last edited by jtgli; 04-23-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Integrity
Banned

Does this count?

Kit - Nitrous Express Import EFI kit
Boost - 1050psi
HP - ~380whp
Years FI - 2
Miles FI - 8,000
Blown up or Not Blown up - Not blown up. She was still running strong when I turned her over to the insurance company.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:25 PM
bsurdam
F-UR-ENZO

Kit - JWT 700BB TT
Boost - 9 PSI
HP - ~ 387 HP 373 TQ
Years FI - 2
Miles FI - 5K on other shops tune 40k on Function's tune
Blown up or Not Blown up - Not blown up

My car was previously done by another shop and had too many problems then took it to Dave after 5k miles since then its been running absolutely great never had a single problems in a year and half and have beat the crap out of it.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:12 AM
ZRuggernDC

Originally Posted by DaveFunction2ND

Kit?
Boost?
Years FI?
Miles FI?
Kit: Greddy TT
Boost: 9 PSI
HP: 389.4whp Matched Torque (lil FYI for other Greddy users)
Years FI: Almost 1 year
Miles FI: 4,500
Blown up or Not Blown up: Hell's No!!!

Dave has the numbers chart because I cant find my Dyno Sheet. Dave if you have it you should post it for me. So far biggest numbers on stock block. Have all the supporting mods to go along with this as well.

The only issue we had so far was we went with the ARC oil catch can and one of the plastic lines go pinched and freaked me out cause it was smoking. But, Dave throw a sexy a$$ steel braided line on it and it was off to the races.

So far 2 Drift events. Over 15 local drifts (i.e. not on track on the street). I have changed the oil and all other fluids after every track event and its still going strong. I didn't buy the car and throw all this into it to show here or show there. I want to drift so that's what I am doing. Who cares about 1/4 times. Drive sideways. If you want to beat me hope you can maintain a better angle as opposed to having 650whp...

-JB

Last edited by ZRuggernDC; 04-24-2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Just saw this thread, not avoiding. To address the current issue - not Dave's or F:T's failure in any way. I don't think that motor could even classify as F/I since the car didn't have the wastegates installed when the low oil pressure and compression manifested itself.

That being said, I was F/I prior to that:

Kit: TN Single
Boost: 8.5 psi
HP/Tq: 305/322 on a 90* day with zero corrections
Years F/I: 1
Miles: 3K
Not Blown Up - Kit sold and stock block just disassembled this week and said to be in perfect condition. I beat the **** out of this setup.

FWIW, I raced another member (peaches05) with the same setup tuned by AAM (pre JT to be fair) around September of 08 and pulled him by a car from 50 to 100mph 3 times in a row, since this seems to be turning into somewhat of a my shop is better than your shop thread .

Last edited by Cass007; 07-22-2009 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

I guess i read into things a little more than i should and take some things personally. Then i respond defensively. What i have learned now is that the Mid-A section hates Altered. Anything to do with it at all.

I am going to just stay out of this section. It is definitely full of unnecessary hate and drama. Only time will tell what will become...
Old 04-25-2009, 11:02 AM
thefireboy

Originally Posted by Clint@Altered
lol, Give me a break.... I've never seen so many threads supposedly not targeted towards AAM in my entire life. Everybody knows it. It seems like those who deny it are for one side, and those who see through the charade are for the other (not necessarily ours).

If this thread is really abut F/I, then it belongs in the F/I section.
i think you are the ones that needs to quit taking things so personally . and relax and quit reading to far into things.. it sounds like yall have a guilty conscious.... can we keep things on topic..
Old 04-25-2009, 11:05 AM
thefireboy

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Altered
I guess i read into things a little more than i should and take some things personally. Then i respond defensively. What i have learned now is that the Mid-A section hates Altered. Anything to do with it at all.

I am going to just stay out of this section. It is definitely full of unnecessary hate and drama. Only time will tell what will become...
very well put.. if you can really change the shop then let it happen and let other people say it.. you are not going to be able to do anything over night.. trust me.. people are going to continue to have dislike until they see much inprovement first hand.. IN MY OWN OPINION
Old 04-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
Your posts and arrogance mimic a tooner that has since left the boards.
it was tunner
Old 04-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Altered

And for good reason they do. you gotta realize you walked into a shop whose reputation on this board is in the gutter. You can't expect people to just change their minds overnight simply because you walk through the door.

You aren't manning the mandrel bender and you still don't call the shots. Unless that changed, people are going to be very wary and push back against AAM's 'resurgence' in this community. I live in PA and we know how much AAM sucked (maybe 'in the past')... christ, I know guys who work at DSM shops in Ohio and higher that think AAM is one of the worst shops on the east coast.

It's not fantasy land here, there were SERIOUS issues in the past and I know you can't be ignorant of them.. you have been in the scene for a while.

Just a little parity to your 'everyone hates us and is unfair' connotations to this post. You are a terrific tuner I am sure, so put your head down and resurrect the shop by demonstrating it.

But this thread had nothing to do with AAM anyway.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Lv2DC_Z
SpecOneSociety

All things that does not have to do with FT numbers should be erased .......

Quick Reply: Need your feedback! Who's got a F:T FI Tune or Tune/Install that's blown up?