Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

A/F questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:21 AM
ratm68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/F questions

I recently installed an AEM wideband. I was thinking it would be more stable but it turns out that it's too accurate and ends up bouncing like a mad man (it does idle around 14.7 give or take). I did some research and found out that it's normal until you hit boost. But when I hit boost, it just just flatlines at 10.0 which i find weird. I think my tune is supposed to be in the mid-11s. My tune was done by dave and it's running on utec.

Question:
1. is the sporadic A/F movement normal when not in boost?
2. any idea why i get a 10.0 A/F in boost? retune?

Thanks,
Khoa
Old 06-09-2009, 05:49 AM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

How long ago was the tune and did Dave tune it for low throttle and Daily Driving?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:51 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The A/F constantly changing is ok when on the throttle cruising. Ideally you want to cruise around 14.7:1, give or take some.

The AEM does not read richer than 10:1 A/F

If when you are WOT its stuck at 10:1, then your tune is at that spot or RICHER constantly. You do not want a tune that rich @ WOT or anywhere. Does the car feel like it falls on its face in the upper rpm's? Where is the sensor located?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Clint@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by ratm68
I recently installed an AEM wideband. I was thinking it would be more stable but it turns out that it's too accurate and ends up bouncing like a mad man (it does idle around 14.7 give or take). I did some research and found out that it's normal until you hit boost. But when I hit boost, it just just flatlines at 10.0 which i find weird. I think my tune is supposed to be in the mid-11s. My tune was done by dave and it's running on utec.

Question:

Thanks,
Khoa
Question:

Not normal if by sporadic you mean its jumping all over the place (14,15,17,14,) and not just flickering around fairly constant a/f numbers. Any idle or low throttle issues?

Maybe temp compensation needs adjusted? Too rich, Get a re-tune, I'm sure if you call Dave he'll get you taken care of.

Also check the AEM wideband - I've seen them go bad a million times. Check the voltage on the sensor.

Last edited by Clint@Altered; 06-09-2009 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:04 AM
ratm68

Originally Posted by Alberto
The A/F constantly changing is ok when on the throttle cruising. Ideally you want to cruise around 14.7:1, give or take some.

The AEM does not read richer than 10:1 A/F

If when you are WOT its stuck at 10:1, then your tune is at that spot or RICHER constantly. You do not want a tune that rich @ WOT or anywhere. Does the car feel like it falls on its face in the upper rpm's? Where is the sensor located?
During cruising it does stay around 14.7 give/take and idles around there too. I do notice that when i let off gas, i get a rich reading like between shifts. The car doesn't feel like it's losing power, mainly because i'm running a vortech so it gaining power at the top. Whether it's not gaining as much as it should, i don't know.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:08 AM
ratm68

Originally Posted by Clint@Altered
Question:

Not normal if by sporadic you mean its jumping all over the place (14,15,17,14,) and not just flickering around fairly constant a/f numbers. Any idle or low throttle issues?

Maybe temp compensation needs adjusted? Too rich, Get a re-tune, I'm sure if you call Dave he'll get you taken care of.

Also check the AEM wideband - I've seen them go bad a million times. Check the voltage on the sensor.

The thing is, it got tuned last august and earlier this year, i had to get the map reloaded on a new utec. I just never got around to installing the AEM gauage. I was afraid that the gauge might be bad, but it seem to be operating normally. By sporadic, i meant that it's hovering. I was under the impression that the wideband would give a stable reading but i've read that it's so accurate, that it's constantly reflecting the live reading. How can I diagnose the gauage? it does idle around 14.7 give/take (.5-.7) or so. It does adjust when i'm in boost, it just goes pig rich from the reading, which is odd. I probably will bring it back to dave.

note: Thanks for the response Clint and Alberto
Old 06-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Watch this video, and watch the A/F guage on the pillar. When your off the throttle you may continue to get a reading for a split second then it will likely read lean, only due to lack of fuel from you letting off, that is normal. Otherwise the A/F's should hover near your tuners target as you are accelerating. See my car in the mid 11's, then go near 11:1 up top and even hit 10.9 for a split second. This is normal WB action....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGcJRE5Fn1s
Old 06-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Ilyich26

AEM wideband is tempermental on placement as well, on wifes evo made a huge difference moving it from rear of front pipe to just after 02 housing. And a slight variance in AF with a UTEC is normal before switch over as it is still running on factory ECM looking for ideal AF.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:09 AM
ratm68

Originally Posted by Alberto
Watch this video, and watch the A/F guage on the pillar. When your off the throttle you may continue to get a reading for a split second then it will likely read lean, only due to lack of fuel from you letting off, that is normal. Otherwise the A/F's should hover near your tuners target as you are accelerating. See my car in the mid 11's, then go near 11:1 up top and even hit 10.9 for a split second. This is normal WB action....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGcJRE5Fn1s
I was looking to get that sort of stable reading in boost, but it just gets pegged at 10.0!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Driven1
Professional

Every wideband I've attempted to use so far is inaccurate and pretty undependable. It has needed to be recalibrated or just stops working. I don't depend on the actual reading but more know what my car should be at. My other gauges can tell me if something is really wrong.

The last one I had at one point said I was cruising at something like 24:1 lol which u know can't be true. hahaha

Everything else everyone said is true...placement, etc. If it was running that rich, you'd notice a difference in the way the car drives.

Have you called Dave about this yet and gotten his opinion?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:04 AM
ZRuggernDC

HHmm.. AEM stuff... My simple opinion is to switch to a digital unit. I personnally love the HKS stuff, but to each his own ya know.

Good luck.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:14 AM
ZRuggernDC

Originally Posted by Clint@Altered
Question:

Thread Jack ALERT: Sue me if you dont like it biachhesss

Yo, Clint,

I needs me a HKS Turbo Timer Type-1. Do you guys have these in stock? I always forget to leave my car running for 30 to 60 secs after I get to my destination, cause I am a NEWB!!!!!!

LOL.. Hit me up and thanks.

- JB
Old 06-09-2009, 02:31 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine at idle and cruising is usually between 14.5 to 15.2 but its pretty reliable when in boost as mine will drop down to about 11.2 at most.