Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Moving to VA in Oct, Newport News area

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 04:48 PM
nosurf2day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything going on in the area in the near future, i.e. car shows meets? I need my car fix, I should have mine back a little later than originally planned. I am guessing around the second week of december.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:06 PM
paposalsa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by halfass872
I don't understand why the OP can't just get a temp pass for the time he will be there?

I'm DOD also, and when we travel we just show pass and id our orders and they give us a pass to stick on our dash for the dates our orders show us being there. Weather we have a rental or POV.

Why would he want to go through all that trouble to get stickers if he's only gonna be here a month or so?
Ft. Eustis is a different story, trust me! Is an Army base, when I was in Florida I didn't even need it DOD decal to get on the AFB, just my ID card.

I have been around Ft. Eustis since 1998 and is my current workplace. Everytime they (PMO) get more stupid with the POV laws.

Originally Posted by nosurf2day
Anything going on in the area in the near future, i.e. car shows meets? I need my car fix, I should have mine back a little later than originally planned. I am guessing around the second week of december.
Nope, this area is dead from now until around Mar 2010.

Last edited by paposalsa; 11-21-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:15 PM
citymunky

If i am not mistaken, I dont need a vehicle inspection if my state doesnt require one. I am not getting my vehicle registered in the state of VA, I am keeping my FLA tags.
Originally Posted by paposalsa
It is required for the FEVA Post Decal. I have FL tags and I had to get a VA state inspection.

To get your post decal you need:

ID Card
Driver License
Vehicle Registration
Insurance Card w/current dates
Proof of VA State Inspection

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

If that's true, thats---->
I have FL plates and Registration, I don't need a gay VA State inspection to get my DoD decals. My car is not and never will be registered in the state of VA therefore there so need to get a VA State inspection.

This was today----->http://vadriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311737

Anyway I'm running a FCON in my car and AAM in Maryland are the closest shop that tunes it, But I drove to Forged Performance to get my Tune.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:41 PM
paposalsa
Banned

Originally Posted by citymunky
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

If that's true, thats---->
I have FL plates and Registration, I don't need a gay VA State inspection to get my DoD decals. My car is not and never will be registered in the state of VA therefore there so need to get a VA State inspection.
To get a DOD decal for Ft. Eusits you need to show proof of VA state inspection if your state doesn't require one. You guys think I'm BSing you, I'M NOT!!!

I have FL plates too, but I know a few tricks!

Last edited by paposalsa; 11-21-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:42 AM
halfass872

To get a DOD decal for Ft. Eusits you need to show proof of VA state inspection if your state doesn't require one. You guys think I'm BSing you, I'M NOT!!!

I have FL plates too, but I know a few tricks!

So you are saying, that this base (Unlike every other base in the Hampton Roads area) doesn't issue temp passes? So EVERYONE that wants to go on base HAS to have a base decal, vice a temporary pass?

I don't think you are BSing, but i think you are missing something here. The OP doesn't need/want a Base sticker because he is only gonna be there for a short time to go to school. I don't even think the pass and ID will issue stickers to someone that isn't stationed/works on any of the are bases permantly.

I don't have base stickers on my Z because it's not my DD. But the few times i did drive it to work, i simply got a temp pass. All i needed was my ID, and my registration. Obviously if he's out of state, and here on orders, they can't expect him to change his state of registration just to get a pass. I could see them wanting to see a registration, and maybe proof of inspection from the sate he is registered in if that state requires one. But i think the inspection thing is a local government thing. Back in the day you only needed to prove the car belongs to you.

How do people with rentals get on this base?

But none of this matters because he's only trying to get a temporary pass!

Last edited by halfass872; 11-22-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:25 AM
nosurf2day

Well things are possibly goint to change. My wife is applying to both VCU and Hampton Univ for their pharmacy program. If she gets accepted I am swapping with a guy in my OBC class. He is assigned to 7th sustainment brigade, 10th Battalion which is where I will be working if the slot me in his spot.

I have worked the paperwork and am just waiting for it to come back down the pipe so that I can send it to Branch. If this happens Looks like I will be staying here, BUT i wont change my plates from FLA.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:28 AM
citymunky

He is assigned to 7th sustainment brigade, 10th Battalion
What?
Old 11-23-2009, 12:56 AM
nosurf2day

What?
Oh I just realized I miss spoke the name of the Brigade here. He would be working somewhere in 10th Battalion which is part of 7th Trans Group here on Ft Eustis.

Last edited by nosurf2day; 11-23-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:34 AM
citymunky

Still I have no idea what that means.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:21 AM
3m wol8

it means, "install 3m's y-pipe for him today since his girl is at work and he's bored out of his mind in this city where he can't drive anywhere b/c he doesn't know where anything is"... i think
Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Dixeydarlin86

Omg. You effing weeiners.

First of all, Hampton is NOT THAT BAD. I live here, by myself, the z stays parked in my yard, no one ****s with me or my stuff. And I'm a chick.

Second of all, the worst roads EVER in Hampton roads. I bottom out EVERYWHERE. BE careful driving around, especially on the southside. I stick to NN, Hampton, Williamsburg, etc.

My favorite and most reasonably priced shop in the area is East Coast Truck & Auto on 40th st. in Norfolk. The owners, Joe & Barb are great great folks. I cannot speak highly enough of them. My lower control arm broke on my car last week on 64, and Joe sent someone out to tow it in the middle of the night and met me at the shop. They are reasonably, and they both own z's.

Get your permit to carry. Applied for mine the day I turned 21. You never catch me without my .40. It isn't a terrible area, but occationally when I have to ride through p-town, I'm def. packin.

Good luck, if you want to hang, pm me

~Stephanie
Old 11-24-2009, 03:50 PM
citymunky

Originally Posted by 3m wol8
it means, "install 3m's y-pipe for him today since his girl is at work and he's bored out of his mind in this city where he can't drive anywhere b/c he doesn't know where anything is"... i think
Now I understand that.

I just don't understand the Army Talk. That's me telling you I'm on a 3 week long JTFX with my CAG.

Originally Posted by Dixeydarlin86

My favorite and most reasonably priced shop in the area is East Coast Truck & Auto on 40th st. in Norfolk. The owners, Joe & Barb are great great folks. I cannot speak highly enough of them. My lower control arm broke on my car last week on 64, and Joe sent someone out to tow it in the middle of the night and met me at the shop. They are reasonably, and they both own z's.

Good luck, if you want to hang, pm me

~Stephanie
Did you have that Silver Z with the Ed Hardy Seat cover @ Sage this past weekend?

Any I know Joe and his son Frank, but who is Barb? Is he the guy with the blue Z?

I was there I with my black G35

Last edited by citymunky; 11-24-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:01 PM
nosurf2day

It is simply the name of a place that I might be working. Just a companies name. Like Starbucks or kinkos.

Its hard to explain if your not in the military.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:08 PM
3m wol8

Now I understand that.

I just don't understand the Army Talk. That's me telling you I'm on a 3 week long JTFX with my CAG.

Did you have that Silver Z with the Ed Hardy Seat cover @ Sage this past weekend?

Any I know Joe and his son Frank, but who is Barb? Is he the guy with the blue Z?

well thanks for replying after i was almost home lol.. good news is I get to move down there in two weeks!
Old 11-24-2009, 06:28 PM
paposalsa
Banned

So you are saying, that this base (Unlike every other base in the Hampton Roads area) doesn't issue temp passes? So EVERYONE that wants to go on base HAS to have a base decal, vice a temporary pass?

I don't think you are BSing, but i think you are missing something here. The OP doesn't need/want a Base sticker because he is only gonna be there for a short time to go to school. I don't even think the pass and ID will issue stickers to someone that isn't stationed/works on any of the are bases permantly.

I don't have base stickers on my Z because it's not my DD. But the few times i did drive it to work, i simply got a temp pass. All i needed was my ID, and my registration. Obviously if he's out of state, and here on orders, they can't expect him to change his state of registration just to get a pass. I could see them wanting to see a registration, and maybe proof of inspection from the sate he is registered in if that state requires one. But i think the inspection thing is a local government thing. Back in the day you only needed to prove the car belongs to you.

How do people with rentals get on this base?

But none of this matters because he's only trying to get a temporary pass!
Everything has change as far as Situational Awarness since 9/11. But I think Ft. Eustis goes overboard.

It will all depend of his orders PCS/TDY, etc. The PMO changes the rules everytime. He might be able to get a Temp Pass while he is in school depending of how long that is.

But for SURE, if you want to get DOD decal for Ft. Eustis you need a VA inspection if your state doesn't required one.

Also passengers over 18 yrs old need to show an ID.

Some people with rental cars have to go everyday, make the long azz line to get a Temp Pass.

BTW, no one has said he needs to change his FL registration. I still have my Florida tags.

I would suggest that he go to the front gate (PMO) office and find out for himself, like I said PMO changes the rules everyday.

NO, I believe Barb is Joe's wife. The lady at the front desk, that gives you the bill.

Originally Posted by Dixeydarlin86
Second of all, the worst roads EVER in Hampton roads. I bottom out EVERYWHERE. BE careful driving around, especially on the southside. I stick to NN, Hampton, Williamsburg, etc.
Well, your car is lower in Springs about 2 inches. Sooner than later you are going to bottom out for good.

Last edited by paposalsa; 11-24-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:33 AM
halfass872

It is simply the name of a place that I might be working. Just a companies name. Like Starbucks or kinkos.

Its hard to explain if your not in the military.

Most of us here are Military, ex-military, or work for the military, Citimunky included. But this is a mostly Navy town. So Army specific talk is foreign to us.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Dixeydarlin86

Yep, thats me . How are ya??? I was there with my sister and her kid. It was totally by accident....I was lookin ROUGH lol tryin to get an update on when my truck would be done.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Dixeydarlin86

NO, I believe Barb is Joe's wife. The lady at the front desk, that gives you the bill.

Well, your car is lower in Springs about 2 inches. Sooner than later you are going to bottom out for good.
Barb is Joe's wife. She is mad awesome. And she has a z too.

And shush your mouth you. I like my drop
Old 11-25-2009, 06:18 PM
paposalsa
Banned

Most of us here are Military, ex-military, or work for the military, Citimunky included. But this is a mostly Navy town. So Army specific talk is foreign to us.
Yes you have Navy but you also have a lot of Army and Air Force Bases too. For example: Ft. Eustis, Ft. Story, Ft. Monroe, Langley AFB, etc.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:29 PM
halfass872

Yes you have Navy but you also have a lot of Army and Air Force Bases too. For example: Ft. Eustis, Ft. Story, Ft. Monroe, Langley AFB, etc.
No doubt there are other branches in the area. My point was that to Citymunky, a sailor (which costitutes a majority of the military/ex-military personel in the area), Army ligo would seem a bit foreign, and visa versa.

Quick Reply: Moving to VA in Oct, Newport News area