Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Northern VA Z-grade roads

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 04:14 PM
qcrobinson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northern VA Z-grade roads

I'm guessing there are a few others out there like myself with Zs which are often stuck in Northern VA traffic. I've been meaning to find some somewhat local roads on which one can put the Z through its paces without being too irresponsible and/or dangerous to others.

At any rate, to this end, I highly recommend Pope's Head Road, off of Fairfax County Parkway. Go towards Clifton. The stretch between Ox Rd. and the Parkway is ok, but the stretch of Popes Head Road west of Fairfax County Parkway is pretty damn fun. The road is patchy in some places, but plenty of outstanding turns to really test the Z.

I also hear out Rt. 50 W near the vineyards offers some quality roads with almost no traffic or any interruptions. I'm planning to go out that way this weekend.

Anyone else have good locations?
Old 10-03-2003, 06:09 AM
vlm7

Default NoVA roads

Pope's Head is right in the middle of several interesting roads in the Burke / Fairfax Station area. Tie in Colchester, Fairfax Station Rd, Wolf Run Shoals, Compton, Newman, etc... It's my favorite drive close by. I live just off University Ave. in Fairfax - 6mt GCoupe.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:20 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew up in Fairfax, so I know Popes Head VERY well. Other good roads (as mentioned) are Clifton Rd., Fairfax Station Rd., Hampton Rd., Henderson Rd., and Compton Rd. However, there are several things you have to watch out for. The most significant danger is oncoming cars as they typically straddle the center line. Secondly, deer are everywhere.

Now that I live in DC, I don't make it out to Fairfax very often (unless I'm visiting the 'rents), so my spirited driving is usually spent on Kirby Rd. in McLean and flying up / down Spout Run Parkway at a rate of speed that I shall not disclose. Kirby Rd. has a lot of sharp turns, and with my suspension, I really have to throw the car to get the full effect of the camber (my car skates otherwise, beginning with understeer, and then the rear will begin to push out).

I would love to play on Rock Creek Parkway / Beach Dr. / Ridge Rd., but the DC & Park Police are everywhere. I did get pulled over a few months back while I was accelerating off of Virginia Ave on to Rock Creek, and the cop said that he could take me "to Z jail." (You'd have to see my plates to understand).

Regardless, spirited driving in NoVA is a gamble, and the stakes are against you. 25-30mph over (or almost any reckless ticket) will merit 90 days in jail (but you can get it reduced significantly with a lawyer, which all cost an arm and a leg here) and a mandatory suspension of your license.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:10 AM
qcrobinson

I'll check these suggestions out, thanks guys. Yah, naturally discretion is necessary. I took the Z up to 125 on 495 -- never again. Irresponsible. But I can't imagine a cop being staked out on Pope's Head.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:22 AM
John

Well, I've passed a cop on Pope's Head road a few years ago, and I saw him slam on his brakes and look for a place to turn around. Needless to say, I didn't wait for him to catch up to me, but rather disappeared across 123 into Middleridge.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:26 AM
vlm7

Thanks for the warning regarding Pope's Head. We're losing what little "free" roads I thought were left. Interestingly, the last time I did that Fairfax Station drive, I had a great time. But on my way back home from Centreville, I decided to just cruise back to Fairfax via 66. I was pulled over by a State Trooper between 7100 and 123. Be careful and responsible out there.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:09 PM
KManZ
Banned

qcrobinson, you live in Burke? I live on Twinbrook right off Braddock... check out Ollie Lane after hours, some good curves there.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:05 AM
qcrobinson

Yeah I do, right of Burke Centre Parkway. Will do, I'm actually enjoying the car more now that I'm not just idling it in NoVa traffic. Yeah read your post in the other thread, I'm pretty positive its you I've seen since I've twice seen a DB turn onto twinbrooke.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:37 AM
John

KManZ, where do you live exactly? My parents live right behind Twinbrook, and I've seen a redline Z off of Powell Rd. and a black one down off of Maury Rd...
Old 10-06-2003, 06:00 PM
KManZ
Banned

I live in the townhouses on the first right after you turn onto Twinbrook Rd from Braddock Rd... Twinbrook Run is the name of that first right turn.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:40 AM
John

LOL, I used to live in a townhouse in 1999-2000 on McFarland Ct back there...
Old 10-08-2003, 06:20 AM
vlm7

If you haven't already done it, try Rte. 33 in Barboursville, VA. I did it last night and had a great time. Take 66 West to 29 South (Warrenton). 33 comes up around 55 miles down 29.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:09 AM
qcrobinson

vlm7 -- will try that this weekend. Thanks!